• You know, you get told by everyone how un-doglike basenjis are, but i dont think you can ever truely appreciate it until you own one. The noises are one thing. Then theres the washing like a cat. Oh, and sleeping like a cat… And then theres the eating habits!! Maybe its just Maya, but she eats like a cat too :p We've started moving her onto cooked meat to introduce her to the raw stuff (she's loving it) but she laps at it like a kitten lol. She does that until all the juice is gone, then eats the chunks of meat. Its so funny. She is also so different to my lab and pugs. You put a bowl infront of them and they stand and eat it. With Maya, she eats for a few mins. Then has a wander round the room. Goes back, eats some more. Grabs and chunk of meat and brings it over to me (she will not leave until i've taken it and told her what a good girl she is :rolleyes:) then she goes back over, drags a few chunks out, bites them into tiny pieces, spreads them on the floor, eats them, wanders around again, goes back and eats some more... etc etc etc. You get the idea 😃

And now, she has her favourite thing in the world, a tripe stick. She cant even just sit and eat one of those. She keeps bringing it over to show me, and i have to take it and tell her what a CLEVER GIRL she is (which brings on much wiggling and yodelling 😃 ) then give it back to her and she's eat it some more... This has been going on for about 20 mins. Thankfully, she's nearly done with it!!

She also doesnt just chew her chews and bones and stuff, she's like a wild lion or something, just rips bits off it and eats them. They really are one step out of the wild 😃

Im just really finding her so fascinating. She is a complete angel, but so different from my other dogs. She has the funniest habits and has to be told how good she is at all times. She seems to really wait on being praised. Bless her!!

• My B doesn't like to be left out of the action… sooo... he takes a mouthful of food and brings it into the room where we are... drops it... and then eats if off the floor. He then goes back and gets another mouthful... etc... It is very cute, but also has led to having pieces of dog food all over my house... which is not so cute....

• I think Maya just likes being told what a good girl she is!!

she hadn't been too messy until this morning, i gave her a whole raw chicken carcass and sneaky little madam ran straight out the kitchen door, into the living room and started eating it on my brand new carpet!!! By the time i noticed she'd gone (she's very quiet and i was sorting everyone else out too!!) she'd eaten half of it and left blood and bits of raw meat on the floor… Nice!!

She has got a very healthy appetite now though. She has always eaten her food well, but since i've started giving her a meal a day of raw/cooked meat she just wolfs everything down like a little piggie! Even tried to steal some of my pizza last night 😃

• @Mucky:

My B doesn't like to be left out of the action… sooo... he takes a mouthful of food and brings it into the room where we are... drops it... and then eats if off the floor. He then goes back and gets another mouthful... etc... It is very cute, but also has led to having pieces of dog food all over my house... which is not so cute....

Mine does a similar thing. I constantly have kibble all over my flloors! ARGH! I look down at her and say, "Now, Nala…no respectable dog would leave that on the floor!" She looks at me as if to say, "Humpf" and walks away.

• I had that issue when I first got my Basenji. Although now he will eat the food out of his dish and not walk away until finished. He'll only do this when he has a new food or treat. He has to make sure it's safe to eat.

Suggested Topics