• This goes a bit in hand with the no kill shelters but-

I was watching Animal Planet Animal Rescue 911 and wondered about is it really better for a stray animal like a cat or non dangerous dog to be roaming free or to be taken to a shelter and usually put to sleep?

How is better for the animal to be killed?

Adult animals that are semi wild are unadoptable are the first to be put down.

I often wonder about that situation if I find a stray animal. All the dogs we have caught near our house had tags and we found their owners. But if they did not then what?

• Well, if they are stray and intact, you will not only have this animal to deal with, but the unwanted feral offspring of these animals.
    Living isn't nice for these animals or their babies.
    Killing isn't nice either.
    So, what is the answer? I sure don't know.

• @Barklessdog:

This goes a bit in hand with the no kill shelters but-

I was watching Animal Planet Animal Rescue 911 and wondered about is it really better for a stray animal like a cat or non dangerous dog to be roaming free or to be taken to a shelter and usually put to sleep?

How is better for the animal to be killed?

Adult animals that are semi wild are unadoptable are the first to be put down.

I often wonder about that situation if I find a stray animal. All the dogs we have caught near our house had tags and we found their owners. But if they did not then what?

There is no right or wrong answer. The only problem with the semi-wild's is they do not have the right attitude-they're neither wild enough to totally make it on their own without human intervention, (most of them seem to need humans in some form-or are not totally afraid of them), or not domesticated enough to find their own way and usually end up on the road,full of parasites, infections, or worse.

This is very gross and disheartening, but I read about a semi-wild boxer who a gang had used a firecracker on-I won't say the results, but they weren't good. I would rather have the animal put down than have them go through a semi-life.

• I agree…death is not the worst thing that can happen to animals.
    Sometimes its a kindess.
    I cry everytime I have to take a dog to put it to sleep.
    Thankfully, its be a while since that has occured.

• @sharronhurlbut:

I agree…death is not the worst thing that can happen to animals.
    Sometimes its a kindess.
    I cry everytime I have to take a dog to put it to sleep.
    Thankfully, its be a while since that has occured.

I agree with you ….. sometimes it is the hardest act of kindness you can do.....

Suggested Topics