How Often Should You Vaccinate Your Dog?

• If you did blood work before the neuter, that would be enough of a baseline. IMO And since all Vets now are required (silly, in my opinion if they are on HW Meds year round) to do the HW blood test, I would just do the HW test…. that is important (Heartworm meds)

And keep in mind that Vets are used to people that don't have a clue, nor do they want to.... and those are 90% more visits then breeders or knowledged owners..... being with your Vet for a while, they learn that you are NOT part of the 90%

• Thanks Pat, I really appreciate it- at this point it's safe to call you our "go to"

• Why not ask your breeder who is in MA - they would know the protocol for Rabies for that state. 😉

FWIW, I was advised (by my dog's breeder) from day one to not do a ****tail of vaccines on one day - that rabies should be done alone. When I used to do lyme, I would usually do rabies alone and then wait 3-4 weeks to do lyme - never both the same day. I followed my breeder's advice since I figure they know what they are talking about. My vet also thought it was a good idea. Oh, and I think the rabies vaccine is the same - whether for 1 year or 3 year (Maine is 3yr, but for pups you give the 1 year and then the next year they get the 3 year). Additionally, I get baseline bloodwork done at their annual exams.

Regarding Lyme…it is a big issue here in Maine. But once my vet told me that they have dogs in their practice that use Frontline and have had the Lyme vaccine still get Lyme, I opted not to do the Lyme vaccine last year. I don't use any topical either. My vet just advised to do visual checks - harder with my boy Oz since he is b&w - but doable. So I do visual checks after walks and then throughout the day in case I miss a tick the first time. Everything I've read says you have 36 - 48 hours to get a tick off before you have to worry about them contracting Lyme.

• I'm really not sure why you care so much as to remind me where my breeder lives or who she is ( as both of us clearly know) . It's a rather insulting innuendo. As mentioned on the forum previously I experienced the hard way about not vaccinating more than one shot… Id rather a breeder teach me not to repeat Mistakes and tell me how to move forward ( which Pat did) Rather then hearing "ive killed my dog" and be chastised, which was what I wa first met with when trying to get guidance! And believe I mentioned in this thread I don't have intentions of giving more than one. As for why I prefer to ask Pat questions ( which really isn't your business) I don't have a great breeder relationship with Oakleys breeder, while I love her dogs...her an I don't get along personality wise. Hope thats enough of a satisfying answer for your obvious itch to know, of which I assume my breeders already told you!

Suggested Topics