Skip to content

Wow Some Pet Food Freaks Me Out!!

Basenji Feeding
  • So as I am sure most of you do, I have never let my dogs,cats,birds, or ferrets eat avocado. I have always understood both from research and from my vets that it contains a toxin to most animals. So I was in the pet store yesterday looking for some training treats, and happened upon a brand of dog food that advertises as being high in avocado. I was soo confused. I am wondering if they some how eliminate the persin (toxic chemical in avocado), but I have not had time too look up info on it. Needles to say you really have to check everything you feed your little ones.

  • I am assuming you mean AvoDerm. It has been around for many, many years. Here is a link to their website, http://www.breeders-choice.com/dog_products/avoderm-natural-and-avocado-safety.htm

  • Hey Lisa… must have been at the same place, same time....ggg

  • I understand it has been around a long time but that doesn't really answer the question. Avocado's Fruit, Leaves, and Bark all contain Persin (a chemical that can cause vomiting and intestinal issues in dogs). So how does this food mitigate this issue?

  • @LiveWWSD:

    I understand it has been around a long time but that doesn't really answer the question. Avocado's Fruit, Leaves, and Bark all contain Persin (a chemical that can cause vomiting and intestinal issues in dogs). So how does this food mitigate this issue?

    If you went to the link that lvoss posted they talk about that…...

  • @LiveWWSD:

    I understand it has been around a long time but that doesn't really answer the question. Avocado's Fruit, Leaves, and Bark all contain Persin (a chemical that can cause vomiting and intestinal issues in dogs). So how does this food mitigate this issue?

    This is a quote from the link lvoss provided:

    The avocado meal and oil used in the AvoDerm Natural pet products comes from the meat of the fruit and does not contain leaves, bark, skin or pit of the fruit. The oil is extracted from ripened fruit in which the meat pulp has been separated from the skin and the pit. Through a mechanical separation process the oil is extracted and filtered and placed into sealed containers. The pulp of the fruit is dried, ground, and screened before being placed into its final packaging and than shipped to our facility

  • Awesome thank you for the clarification. I was at work today and couldn't get the link to load. It doesn't really matter for myself as I feed the dogs a BARF diet, but it just made me wonder. As always this is one of the best things about these forums, I love being able to pick all of your brains. Thanx so much. :)

Suggested Topics

  • Raw Food

    Basenji Feeding
    2
    5 Votes
    2 Posts
    7k Views
    D
    Thanks for posting.
  • 0 Votes
    11 Posts
    14k Views
    Buddys PalB
    wow, read all through that facebook link you gave, so scary! thanks for the flag to be watched, definitely!
  • ANOTHER Diamond Pet Food recalled

    Basenji Feeding
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    5k Views
    D
    Did you go to an official list? There were lots more food and brands added than first reported! Jennifer
  • Best Food?

    Basenji Feeding
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    8k Views
    tanzaT
    @Patty: Interesting that you had a problem with loose stools, Pat, because I had exactly the same but with a puppy who was eventually discovered to have Giardia. It did take us a very long time though and in the meantime the pup was suffering. It also happened to a friend of mine herself who for years had a stomach problem that finally was discovered to be a Giardia infection. Because of my experience with the puppy, I had jokingly suggested the problem to her as well. Yes… Giardia "hides" very well..... Many Vets will write it off to a sensitive digestive system when in fact it is not. Like I said with my OJ, once it was cleared up, he could eat anything...
  • Ethanol in pet food.

    Basenji Feeding
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    5k Views
    PhocoenaGirlP
    Lynn, Your b likes bread too? My boy is terrible around buttered toast! It is like a moth to a flame! But on a more serious note, I do agree that less grain in their diets is better. From all the stuff I've read about meat feeding (raw vs cooked and etc) on this forum, most of us are trying our best to move toward that. But keep looking up stuff on snopes cuz I use that site too!!:)
  • Good Food

    Basenji Feeding
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    7k Views
    Chelbell26C
    @Robin_n_Jack: I was having the same problem with Jack recently…he's 2...he wouldn't eat, I called it his anorexic phase. He would eat acouple of bites in the morning, ad about half of his food in the afternoon. There has been a lot of excitement around lately (Dad's home, and we are packing to move) so I thought that might have something to do with it, and I figured he would eat when he was hungry. He hasn't been acting lethargic or sick, just not eating. Finally, after trying everything I could think of, treats in with the food (worked for a little while) pretending to eat it my self and trying to hand feed him(he looked at me like "If you think it is so good, why don't you eat it?) this morning I mixed some water in with the food. Next thing I know, it was all gone. Yay! no more Ally McBeal doggie! Glad to hear that he is eating again. :-) I think we all know what its like to worry that your B isn't eating enough. :rolleyes: