Skip to content

Size of Basenji

Basenji Talk
  • I have a silly question.
    I'm thinking to get a basenji.
    Have visited few friends with basenji in Europe and after I come back to USA I saw few dogs and it seems for me that here (in US) basenji are a little smaller.
    Am I wrong? What's normal hight of basenji male hight in USA?

  • They vary in size. I had dreams of a nice 18 pound bitch. My bitch won her championship, svelt, at a good 25 pounds. Her niece, our 2nd basenji, was this hard muscled machine and she topped 27 pounds at her best. (Sadly steroids from 4 yrs til death made her usually closer to 32 pounds.) I was at a show about 18 yrs ago and saw some part African basenjis that looked even bigger. But the European and US standards for size are almost identical (1 pound heavier for females in US).

    As for the show ring sizes difference, someone who shows internationally can answer. I just know from rescue that most that I see tend to be bigger, not smaller, than standard.

    The FCI (European) Standard:
    SIZE AND WEIGHT :
    Ideal height : dogs 43 cm (17 ins) at withers,
    bitches 40 cm (16 ins) at withers.

    Ideal weight : dogs 11 kg (24 lbs),
    bitches 9 1/2 kg (21 lbs).

    AKC Basenji:
    Height: 17 inches (male
    16 inches (female)

    Weight: 24 pounds (male)
    22 pounds (female)

Suggested Topics

  • Is she a basenji ?

    Basenji Talk
    50
    4 Votes
    50 Posts
    29k Views
    KembeK
    Looks can be so deceiving- here is an article of a woman who adopted a rescue dog in N.J. Dog looks like a basenji - even her vet thought it might be basenji. She did an Embark DNA test - no basenji. Turned out the dog was a mixture of Mountain Cur, Rat Terrier, Beagle, and Boston Terrier. link text
  • basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    9k Views
    ZandeZ
    Last I heard, the Breed Club secretaries had more people waiting or wanting pups than were available . You could get on a list for a Basenji next winter but I very much doubt you will find one still unsold. Go to the website of the BCGB, or the Northern Basenji Society as you are in the North and you will find email addresses of the secretaries. They will put you in touch with breeders who may be planning a litter for puppies to become ready to leave the nest in about a year's time. Its a long wait I know, but you have most probably missed the boat for now. You are welcome to post me privately. Good luck!
  • A basenji

    Basenji Talk
    19
    0 Votes
    19 Posts
    21k Views
    Chealsie508C
    There's nothing like a basenji in the works, from the way they instinctively lay with their had on the bum looking the other way ( I've never met a B that doesn't) to the way you KNOW they all rub on wet towels or play bow…it's all very endearing and in this breed you often identify traits that they all have, an insight into their genetics and their behaviors. I've never enjoyed a breed so much.
  • Basenji Song-Moon Over Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    12k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Oh Barklessdog, you are a brave person. I must now stand with you in insane-solidarity and admit I bought it too. It is awful but when you get the line "we couldn't say goodbye so we took him home" part, you know you got to help support the woman. lol
  • Is this a Basenji??

    Basenji Talk
    20
    0 Votes
    20 Posts
    18k Views
    G
    My Basenji Billy is quite undershot; he's a purebred, his bottom jaw just didn't stop growing when it was supposed to. That's okay, I'm a bit of a sucker for a dog with an underbite anyway.:) He was my first rescue Basenji.
  • 0 Votes
    21 Posts
    14k Views
    BarklessdogB
    Owning a basenji requires a good sense of humor and a large dose of patience and a willingness to do some creative thinking to convince the basenjis what you want is really the same thing as what they want. So true, never a dull moment with these dogs