No such thing as a Basenji

• I wouldn't have a pharoah, they bark way too much. I do like the Cirneco though. The Hamiltonstovare is a VERY rare breed in America. A friend of mine has just developed the breed standard for them and made up a UKC Champion 🙂

• @Benkura:

I wouldn't have a pharoah, they bark way too much.

+1 - OMG their barking would drive me crazy (not that the basenjis haven't done that)…I love seeing pharoahs at shows but am glad when I no longer have to listen to them. WOW

• I'd go with the German Shorthaired Pointer…..may be in the future

• Pardon me if i seem rude, but can someone explain the difference between the foxhounds and harriers to the Hamiltonstovare? (i actually had to google it)

As for the breeds i would have, well i don't think you could get farther from a basenji! all are large, and some are quite furred. (i've previously owned many of these breeds or have worked with them and loved them all.) I do miss having a grooming dog occasionally. There just isn't anything to brush on a B!

Alabai, Husky, Rottweiler, GSD (save for all the health issues!) ChowChow, Caucasian Ovcharka, Am. Staff., Schnauzer (any size), Gordon Setter, Miniature or Std. Poodle.

the Alabai and Am.Staff being preferred

• The foxhound is one of the first fox/scent hounds. It was derived by crossing the greyhound, fox terrier and bulldog in the 1500's. The Hamilton originates from Sweden and was created by crossing the English foxhound with native breeds. The harrier is similar to the foxhound but smaller, possibly crossed with the Basset hound.

I prefer the Hamilton as it has a cleaner look.

• Oh dear, didn't realize Pharoah hounds were barkers. What about the Ibitzen hounds?

I had to look up Cirneco. I had seen them just didn't remember.

I LOVE big dogs and coats, but I hate grooming. I may get a short haired (smooth coat) Chow next due to that issue.

• Having been born into a doggy family, I'm interested in most breeds. I have been besotted with the Basenji since I was 4 years old and so couldn't imagine a life where there were none. I've also had many other breeds at various times but I think my next favourite is a Kangal Shepherd dog (Anatolian Karabash) which has a very similar temperament to a Basenji but without the dopamine!!.

• i would love an akita, chow, or gsd if not for the hair. and i've never met a giant schnauzer in person, but i love the idea of them. i also like the looks of a thai ridgeback, but have never met one. and i love mastiffs, but i don't love drool. i also love those big-headed goofs (american pit bull terriers), but i don't want the risk of a homeowner's insurance increase. i bet i'll end up with a poorly-bred mixed one some day, though, as they are just sooooo ridiculously cute, i know i'll sucker myself into adopting one.

• First Basenji's

I've actually been thinking about adopting a shiba inu for a while now, so they are pretty high on the list.
    I love New Guinea Singing Dogs; they are how I first discovered basenjis.
    I'd also go with a Catahoula Leopard dog.

tlish- It bothers me that APBT's get such a bad rep. Every one that I've ever met has been so sweet. A few weeks ago, we had one that was wandering around our neighborhood with no collar that had recently given birth to a litter of puppies, and she also had scars all over her body. She was so sweet; she walked right up to us, let my roommate put a leash on her, and jumped into the back seat of the car so that my roommate could take her to the vet.

• SenjiShowgirl I see you like the Ovcharka there are some to die for in Mt. Big and lots of hair very nice looking. They kind of look like the long hair Akita to me.

Rita Jean

• I had to look up the Ovcharka and found myself on a dog fighting forum, it was like, the third result. 😞
    Gorgeous dogs, but what heart breaking abuse, wow. I didn't know people actually still did that.

• First Basenji's

Mango, I don't know anything about the Ovcharka other than what I've seen from these sites:

http://www.bradanderson.org/blog/
    http://2naughtyshibas.blogspot.com/

Lots of amazing videos on both that, I think, give a good impression of what living with those big guardian dogs is really like.

• Thanks, I'll have to check the vids out! They look like big fluffy bears, I don't know if I could handle the fur but it would certainly be an adventure for any owner, haha.
    I guess it's not shocking someone would think to use such a big strong dog for such a "sport" but of course that's hardly any indication of what having one as a companion would be like. Lots of the dogs known historically for dog fighting can make amazingly loyal pets. I had just never heard of Ovcharkas before and was surprised to see such… open discussion about dog fighting, I guess.

But anyway. Thanks for the links! It's always interesting to learn about different breeds.

• My friend had a guard-company in sweden and had a few Ovtjarka. Thay are very cute and amazing to look at, but it is not for every people to own one of those 😉

• i'll have to check out those links as well.
    As for the Ovcharka, well they are not a common breed, no. And yes, sadly they are a common "dog-fighter" it is horribly sad to see such abuse on such wonderful dogs. Both the Caucasian and Alabai (aka Central Asain Ovcharka) make absolutely fabulous family dogs for the right owners.
    I personally owned a mix of the Caucasian and Central Asain, named Kyle. He was wonderful! adored children of all ages, got on well with other dogs, loved people. Sweetest pup you can imagine, but he would also protect you no matter what.
    These dogs are from Georgia(not USA)/Armenia, and in LA where i had lived for a year was a predominantly Armenian community, and finding one wasn't all that hard.
    I will have to put out there though that this is NOT a breed for everyone at all. and definitely not for a weak/non-dominant pack leader, or an inexperienced dog owner. Its in the hands of those owners that these dogs can get a very bad name. Their size alone makes them kinda dangerous. At only 10 months old my pup was already 100 lbs, and he was very small. (he had a very serious health issue as well that kept him from gaining weight)

I have not seen those forums that you spoke of, but i have seen so many about all the negative aspects of these breeds and about fighting. this is not the side i look at, same with the Pitties. its all in how they are raised.
    no-one sees this side of them (picture CR. Inga, a facebook friend) :

and my own boy Gail (kyle) at 5 months, with my B boy

• I have to say, that the great Dane holds a place in my heart. I love them. AND I really love my basenji Ayo, I think basenjis are awesome and I think we fit very well. The only thing that is really frustrating about basenjis is not being able to have them off leash. And not just off leash but the constant fear of escape and eventual death by car!. I find that I don't do some things that I used to do more with my great Dane, like go to the beach and such, just because here, there aren't any places without lots of people and cars!.. So I think if I were to have a breed other than basenjis I would go for a breed that would be fine just walking calmly next to me wherever I go…. I love French bulldogs, and stafordshire pit bull terriers are nice too. And Great Danes.
    But I think next year I'm getting another basenji!!!!!!!!

• I forgot to add Medio Smooth Podengo to my list of non Basenji breeds 🙂

• A Rat Terrier (either mini or standard), Pomeranian, or Chinese Crested.

• Sorry, but I'd most likeley go for a beagle, that was my very first dog and he was awesome!! Got him off the street…my first 'rescue'...after that, crap, can I say this...a cat.....OUCH!!!...Yeah, I was very lucky with both my B pets, but as I get older, I'm not sure I would be able to handle a young B. However, as I look forward to retiring I'm more than happy to have multiple B's in my home. 🙂 Older ones, like me 🙂

Suggested Topics