Other basenjis at the dog park

• This is an enclosed dog park very close to us. My sister was there today with her blue chow. And look what other dogs they saw! Sis spoke with the owners, who said they go there often. So, Kipawa will have some fellow b's to play with!

attachment_t_10446_0_img_8929a.jpg
    attachment_t_10446_1_img_8930b.jpg
    attachment_t_10446_2_img_8934.jpg

• That's great Fran! I have not seen 1 Basenji at the dog park I go to in 1-1/2 years. ๐Ÿ˜ž

• First Basenji's

Dan, we've had quite a rash of Basenji sightings lately! They're around, that's for sureโ€ฆ
    There's even a monthly meetup... I've only been to one. ๐Ÿ™‚

Fran, check meetup.com, and you might find some casual Basenji meetup groups in your area. If there isn't one, maybe you can start one.

Looks like you may be able to get at least one recruit.

The blue chow is really different. I haven't seen one before.

• Fran,
    i have never seen a Blue Chow before, s/he is lovely. How fantastic that two Basenjis have been seen at the dog park.
    Several people have told us of two Basenjis living in a certain street in the next village.
    Think we are going to have to lurk there in the hope they will see us and come out ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• In my experience, basenjis find each other at the parks and gravitate to one another. Like Boxers have a distinct play-style, so do Basenjis and they seem to prefer other basenjis as play partners. Wonderful that there are 2 at your local park, I'm sure you will meet up!

All (basenjis) in our group love to meet the little puppies, then when they are about 4 months old the adults get annoyed with them and their silly puppy antics. When the pups are about a year they are loved again by all. So even if the adults seem to have a 'get away, you pest' attitude, it will change as your pup matures! All dogs know that puppy-teeth are to be feared and avoided!

You are going to be such an amazing basenji-mom, you already have so much knowledge and support and insight! Most of us stumbled into the breed and did "trial and error"!

• @thunderbird8588:

Fran,
    i have never seen a Blue Chow before, s/he is lovely.

She is a lovely dog. She is 6 years old and has been an incredible addition to my sis's family. When she was a young pup, she looked like a small bear. She is somewhat of a princess - and we call her Naomi Campbell sometimes, because she loves posing for the camera. She was featured in the 2009 "365 Days of Dogs" calendar.

She will be a great dog for Kipawa to learn from. She is non-alpha, very calm (unless she sees a squirrel or bunny) and has an overall wonderful disposition about her.

Blue chows are not all that common as far as chows go.

• @curlytails:

Dan, we've had quite a rash of Basenji sightings lately! They're around, that's for sureโ€ฆ
    There's even a monthly meetup... I've only been to one. ๐Ÿ™‚

Fran, check meetup.com, and you might find some casual Basenji meetup groups in your area. If there isn't one, maybe you can start one.

Looks like you may be able to get at least one recruit.

The blue chow is really different. I haven't seen one before.

Where do you meet up? I don't get out to HMB much. Went to Funston on Saturday. There were a lot of Basenjis that went there in the 90s.

• I love Kipawa's tail - curl over curl! Great that you have found another Basenji to play with. Although mine loves playing with all kinds of dogs, it's easy to see she is in her glory when in her basenji pack! Hopefully you will find lots of other owners in the area who can plan get togethers.

• First Basenji's

@nobarkus:

Where do you meet up? I don't get out to HMB much. Went to Funston on Saturday. There were a lot of Basenjis that went there in the 90s.

The meetup I'm thinking of is at Pt. Isabel, the last Sunday of every month at 11 AM. I'll send you the link. I've met a few other B's that don't go to the meetup and, I think, purposely stay away โ€“ maybe for fear of snark.

I've learned to ask other Basenji owners if their B's are okay with other B's. Once, I crept up behind a man with two B's, Electra and Buster. He saw Bowpi and looked really startled! He ran over to his female and swooped her right up, because she's apparently no good with other female B's -- other breeds, no problem.

With that incident in mind, the next time I saw another woman entering with two B's right at the entrance, I called out and asked if her Basenjis are good with other Basenjis. She told me no, and kept walking away. Okay... laugh That's fine. We ended up crossing paths coming the other way around, and the meeting was fine, probably because everyone had some chance to walk off some steam already. Sometimes the initial excitement of arriving at the park combined with meeting other B's isn't the best combo.

And finally, we've run into an older gentleman with two BRAT tri's, Katy and Rio. There was some excitement/vocalization at first, but I think Bowpi is so docile and non-confrontational, she manages to defuse other high-pressure B's. She was in a chasing mood that day, and she finally found another B to indulge her.

... Not to derail your thread, Fran, with my little anecdotes. ๐Ÿ˜‰ My point is that sometimes it's a real delight to see lots of B's together, and sometimes it doesn't work out. But it's ALWAYS exciting to bump into another, because we all know how special they are.

• Looks it was a fun meet and greet. We've never seen a basenji at our dog park.

• @MacPack:

In my experience, basenjis find each other at the parks and gravitate to one another. Like Boxers have a distinct play-style, so do Basenjis and they seem to prefer other basenjis as play partners. Wonderful that there are 2 at your local park, I'm sure you will meet up!

With the exception of Digital the brindlewonderkid. Do you remember when we made it down there years ago? Diggie seemed a bit horrified to see that many basenjis. Of course he was the only brindle basenji there and chose to hang out with a brindle greyhound instead of play with the other basenjis. Of course Jet the try-ing does LOVE other tri colored dogs - Aussie Shep's and Berners.

• @curlytails:

The meetup I'm thinking of is at Pt. Isabel, the last Sunday of every month at 11 AM. I'll send you the link. I've met a few other B's that don't go to the meetup and, I think, purposely stay away โ€“ maybe for fear of snark.

I've learned to ask other Basenji owners if their B's are okay with other B's. Once, I crept up behind a man with two B's, Electra and Buster. He saw Bowpi and looked really startled! He ran over to his female and swooped her right up, because she's apparently no good with other female B's -- other breeds, no problem.

With that incident in mind, the next time I saw another woman entering with two B's right at the entrance, I called out and asked if her Basenjis are good with other Basenjis. She told me no, and kept walking away. Okay... laugh That's fine. We ended up crossing paths coming the other way around, and the meeting was fine, probably because everyone had some chance to walk off some steam already. Sometimes the initial excitement of arriving at the park combined with meeting other B's isn't the best combo.

And finally, we've run into an older gentleman with two BRAT tri's, Katy and Rio. There was some excitement/vocalization at first, but I think Bowpi is so docile and non-confrontational, she manages to defuse other high-pressure B's. She was in a chasing mood that day, and she finally found another B to indulge her.

... Not to derail your thread, Fran, with my little anecdotes. ๐Ÿ˜‰ My point is that sometimes it's a real delight to see lots of B's together, and sometimes it doesn't work out. But it's ALWAYS exciting to bump into another, because we all know how special they are.

Buddy is super friendly, loves all dogs and people. He doesn't do snarky.:D
    We're all excited for Fran!

• Yes Aglie, I remember meeting you and Dig, Jet and family! Dig thought the basenjis were all ruffians, but Jet joined them in a huge wet puddle. Funny about tris liking other tris, we have noticed that occasionally at the park, the reds will all be lying together and the tris will all be together as well. Silly dogs!

Suggested Topics