• If the sire is tested clear the puppies would not be affected. I have never heard of her and we go to most TX events. Our first two basenjis were from breeders in Austin and Dallas.

• @lisastewart:

If the sire is tested clear the puppies would not be affected.

The fact that she didnt know that speaks volumes as to what kind of breeder you might be dealing with. A reputable breeder still lists all the puppies and their test results for public viewing anyways, and if they arent more educated on fanconi and such, then they might not really know what hey are doing.

I would consider doing more research.

• @Heinz57:

Is anyone familiar with them? The lady's name is Mary. I spoke with her recently and she's been breeding for a few years. Her current litter has not been tested for fanconi and neither has the mother. The father has. She said her vet doesn't think it's necessary to test for it. She said she'd check into it and possibly get the mom tested.

And any vet who doesnt think its not needed to test for it is an absolute idiot. I went to a new vet when I first moved and they didnt even know what it was, so when you ask for advice from someone, better to make sure they actually know what they are talkin about. It always helps to do your own very thourough research first, that way, when you go to a vet, you have this knowledge in the back of your head and can gauge whether they have a clue or not. Do not be scared to tell a vet you want a second opinion.
    Anyways…..

sounds like shes doing it trying to make some money- doesnt sound reliable or reputable.

• Gosh, it sounds like many vets just don't understand the basenji breed. That's why we have to advocate very strongly for proper care for them.

• Like a lot of things in life, you have to know the answers before asking the questions! This is as true for vets as it is in other areas (like when you're talking with a sales person).

• She says she'd be willing to test the puppy we'd like to buy for fanconi. I told her it'd be easier and better if she just tested the mother.

• It's not that she's not familiar with fanconi. I think she didn't test because her vet said not to.

• @Heinz57:

Is anyone familiar with them? The lady's name is Mary. I spoke with her recently and she's been breeding for a few years. Her current litter has not been tested for fanconi and neither has the mother. The father has. She said her vet doesn't think it's necessary to test for it. She said she'd check into it and possibly get the mom tested.

So my first question would be, did you verify at www.offa.org that the sire of the litter was tested? He would be listed in the OFA database and again, what were the results of the test? Clear/Ind/Carrier? Only if you have done that, do you know for sure. They may think you mean were they strip tested… not DNA tested.

And if verified again, what are the results? If Clear then even if the Bitch is Affected they would only produce Carriers and yes, that means they should not get Fanconi, however what if IND or Carrier? If untested Bitch then they could all be Affected? Obviously if not test, no way of knowing.

This is a breeder that I would not recommend even if they did test the Bitch as they obviously have not done any other health testing either

• @Heinz57:

It's not that she's not familiar with fanconi. I think she didn't test because her vet said not to.

Not a good enough reason, it is a breeders responsibility to reseach and know the health concerns of a breed, not to depend on the Vet… because as we all know here, there are many Vets that have never even heard of Fanconi let alone the DNA test. Remember the DNA test is NOT done by a Vet, it is done by the owners via a cheek swab.

• What Pat said.

Now for a Debraly observation. Run. Really. Do not put money into a back yard breeder's hands. Even if you find the sire has been tested, even tho that means your puppy is probably fine, don't put money into the hands of a byb. Find a responsible breeder or go through BRAT rescue. Be nice, tell her why you won't be getting a dog from her, and encourage her to look up BCOA, educate herself, and stop producing puppies.

OR, educate her, take a puppy (if sire is indeed clear) at a greatly reduced price so she isn't making much or any profit.

• If you haven't already, I would recommend that you visit the Basenji Club of America's breeder directory. You will find breeders all over the US who are very responsible and ethical.

http://tinyurl.com/2vjmpjl

• First Basenji's

@DebraDownSouth:

Run. Really. Do not put money into a back yard breeder's hands. Even if you find the sire has been tested, even tho that means your puppy is probably fine, don't put money into the hands of a byb. Find a responsible breeder or go through BRAT rescue. Be nice, tell her why you won't be getting a dog from her, and encourage her to look up BCOA, educate herself, and stop producing puppies.

Agreed.
    And please, do tell her why you won't be getting a puppy from her. You don't need to be angry about it (though it IS an aggravating situation!), but I think the breeder needs to know that you didn't just walk away because you're "not interested," but that not all buyers are so easily duped. Hopefully it might deter her from doing this again.

• @Heinz57:

It's not that she's not familiar with fanconi. I think she didn't test because her vet said not to.

If she was very familier with fanconi, she would have insisted on fanconi testing, just like the rest of us do, and she would have gotten it done to begin with just like the rest of the reputable breeders do.

Just making that point!

• She could very well be a BYB. She seemed to know what it was when I asked if the dogs had been tested. Either way, I don't think I will be buying from her.

• @Heinz57:

She could very well be a BYB. She seemed to know what it was when I asked if the dogs had been tested. Either way, I don't think I will be buying from her.

Knowing what it is (Fanconi) and not testing, tells me that this is a pure for profit breeder. Cares more about the money then breeding healthly Basenjis.

Just my opinion

• Houston

She is BAD news..last year she had 5 litters, all of 25 basenji puppies, under a different name, bluebonnet basenji or something like that…stay away...
    I am pretty sure she is the one..hope I am wrong though..

as a side not..a reputable, responsible breeder knows all about Fanconi and does not rely on a vet to recommend testing..

Suggested Topics