• There is a thread here on what you need 🙂

• A dremel is so much easier than nail clipppers. You would get used to it quickly.

• If their nails are white is is pretty easy to dremel since you can see the quick, which would be the case of a r/w. B/w can have a combo of white and black nails (I guess tris would too?) It gets more challenging if they have a lot of nails that are black, and in that case I dremel to the same length as the white ones.

• yes, tris can have both black and clear nails. i'm thankful suki only has one black nail because they're scary!!

• @Chealsie508:

I am lucky that one of my close friends is a groomer so I can easily get them done as needed, which I know is often. If I wasn't in a place to be able to do that then I would familiarize myself with the process

Using a Dremel is easy and I bet that your breeder can show you… this is something that every dog (and cat) owner should know and be able to do... nails should be done every week. And using a dremel is much better then nail clippers.

• @tanza:

Using a Dremel is easy and I bet that your breeder can show you… this is something that every dog (and cat) owner should know and be able to do... nails should be done every week. And using a dremel is much better then nail clippers.

+1. Eldorado uses the Dremel on their pups, so the pups are already used to the Dremel by the time they go home to their new families. My pup Aaliyah came from Eldorado, I've been doing her nails with the Dremel since I got her at 11 weeks and she just lies there and licks my face while getting her nails done. My 2 6yo basenjis (also from Eldorado) are just as easy to Dremel. My pup Ozzy (breeder Jean Martin, Hounds of Timar), is also a breeze when getting his nails done - he kisses me during the course of getting them done.

Have your breeder show you how to do them, and then start doing them yourself the first week your pup comes home. I do Ruby and Brando's nails every 2 weeks. I do Aaliyah's every week (as she has really long nails) and I do Ozzy's every week as he is still being shown.

• Houston

I actually used my dremel on Pippin's nails the other day to see how he liked , he didn't even care…so I will do his regulary to make it an every day= no worries thing... a few of my older dogs hate it, act like I am killing them..but I didn't start them on it as puppies...

• We have a Dremel-like tool that we use for nails. Earl doesn't have a problem with using nail clippers, but the Dremel is the only way I'll trim nails!

• Thanks for the suggestions….I will probably have Eldorado show me the do's and dont's to the dremel....is that pet dremel good that they show on tv???

• Stay away from the Pedi-paws! The safety guard actually allows the nail to get jammed inside until the motor burnt out. The motor lacks the power to do a proper job, and the emry board leaves the nail rough. This leads to the nail cracking along the length. It is horrible!
    I tossed it a long time ago and thought I was stuck with nail clippers. My friend has the dremel brand dremel. It is amazing and I will be spending the money to get one.

• Thanks Knipper.. I figured it was junk, I didn't like the idea of the guard….I'll look into that brand.

• I use a plain Dremel, not that expensive either. There is the mini Dremel (cordless and not as heavy as the full size one)

• @tanza:

I use a plain Dremel, not that expensive either. There is the mini Dremel (cordless and not as heavy as the full size one)

Like Pat said…get the Blue cordless one (they have them at Walmart) - they run at a really slow speed and I think that is key so that it doesn't hurt. Just use the sanding bands.

• @renaultf1:

Like Pat said…get the Blue cordless one (they have them at Walmart) - they run at a really slow speed and I think that is key so that it doesn't hurt. Just use the sanding bands.

LOL, I use the fast speed… goes faster.. but you do have to watch that you are not too close to making they bleed... however.. the one thing that I had been told about using grinders is that even if you get close to the quick... and a bit of blood, the sanding blade stops the bleeding pretty quick.. and I have found that to be the case... just grind a bit and look at the nail... comes to be pretty much second nature.... after a bit of use.... and I agree, use the sanding bands... not the "stone" if you get the more expensive model

• Thanks for the tip because I was looking at them and thinking oh boy!, which ones do I use….LOL

• I use a dremel mini-mite. It's rechargeable, with the sanding pads-not the stone either. It has two speeds. I also teach my puppy people how to use the dremel when they come to pick up the pups. I find having them use it when they come helps them a lot. Since I have the adults as well. Lots of toenails get done that day!

Suggested Topics