Aggression ONLY when in trouble…URGENT

• I think the most important thing to emphasize here is:
    Do not underestimate the power of an angry basenji.

• @gjrcvw:

I think the most important thing to emphasize here is:
    Do not underestimate the power of an angry basenji.

Well put…

• @lvoss:

Debra stated already, the baseball bat is NOT to be used to beat the dog off but to provide a physical barrier so the dog does not connect with human flesh when it charges the owner. You have latched onto one idea and are not reading what others are saying.

Trying to touch or restrain a dog that has entered "fight" mode is a recipe for disaster and advising people that it okay to do it because they are ONLY 20 pound dogs is irresponsible.

I guess I was wrong to suggest something I had read in a book by Cesar Millan and have tried with success my self.
    I did latch onto the idea of a baseball bat, I offered my "suggestion" and just like some on this forum that do not agree with my suggestion, I do not agree with her's! That is all!
    Bottom line is that there is an issue with his dog that needs to be corrected… I was giving a suggestion, Obviously, I do not know her or her dog and can only suggest a method that has worked for me...

• It is good to share your experiences but you need to take seriously the advice of people who have experience and years and years in basenjis. I am telling you that with some basenjis your method will not work and is very very dangerous to both the human AND the dog, who will eventually end up euthanized because of handling in this manner.

• Aggression begets aggression!

• Well that explains your views… Milan. A man who is going to get someone killed. How about I save a lot of typing and suggest you read this thread:

http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?t=9598

And again, you object to using a plastic bat between you and a dog why? You have latched onto the "baseball bat".. let it go, then picked it back up with fervor. Normally I'd quote many passages and go all Debraly on you but I am just going to shake my head and move on. You can stop obsessing over your impressive twisting of using a plastic child's bat to keep the dog off into beating a dog with a baseball bat, or you can stop… read, and let it go. Up to you.

• I'm brand new to the list. We received Rosie as a rescue dog 18 months ago. Near as I can fugure, she a basenji/lab mix. We go running (I walk, she runs) off leash at a cross-country course every morning, rain/snow/sun. She has boundless energy and I am hopelessly in love with her. Problem: recently she has been running off into the woods and disappearing for 1/2 hour or 45 minutes. Since she has done this on and off for 18 months, I'm not too concerned for her safety. My problem is that I call and call for her, offer her treats when she appears and kove her up all the time. How can I train her to come when I call? Charles

• Try Leslie Nelson's Really Reliable Recall method. available in dvd or booklet from amazon or dogwise.com

• Thanks agile. I'll give it a try.

charles, Rosie Gullywhumper's dad

• Just an update 🙂 Ive got it under control for good now I believe. Ive got one of those 3 1/2-4ft tall baby gates with a walk through door. I keep it shut so he cannot access the kitchen when I am in the living room on my pc or watching tv. The living room is TOTALLY Basenji Proof…nothing for him to get into. If Im in my bedroom I put a normal gate up in the doorway that goes from my hall to my kitchen. Keeps him confined to my room and the hallway. It's been working great. No incidents...the last one was weeks ago when he got mad cuz he tried to eat my mail I had on the table. When he acts like that Ill just ignore him and walk away and stay calm. My calm body language calms him down fast and within minutes he's his normal spazzy self again.

Kinda like a bully teasing a kid...if the kid being teased and picked on doesnt react...the bully gets bored with it because he's getting no reaction. Same kinda concept 🙂

• thanks for the update on anubis. sounds like you two are creating a new history which is wonderful!

charles - i should have said welcome to the forum!

• Glad it is going well!

Recall: http://www.clickerlessons.com/recall.htm

• I'm so pleased that you are solving your problems with Anubis. Just goes to show that it only needs the right response.

• Agile,
    Thanks for the welcome. I feel so lucky that Rosie has a community of basenji-lovers to refer to. How do I insert an image of my girl?

charles

• Just another suggestion regarding the trash. Shaye used to get into ours all the time - I'd just go over the pick it all up, ignoring her completely. Eventually there was nothing there so she'd back off. Problem not really solved. Then, we bought a trash can with a lid that opened when you step on a lever on the bottom. She figured out how to step on the lever. So, we turned the trash bucket around, she couldn't get to the lever, and couldn't lift the lid, and the problem went away. Just a suggestion - and be sure to get a heavy one. I also agree with everyone who has said Cesar Milan's methods are about the exact opposite of how to train a Basenji. They just don't care enough what you think when they want to do something, and coming on strong with them triggers aggression. Distraction and showing them something they might want more works best for me. When that does not work, the squirt bottle has saved many many confrontations.

Suggested Topics