• You can find information on the Liver cleansing diet at Dr Dodds site, Hemopet. Here is the link to the diet
    http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/Liver%20cleansing%20diet.htm

• @hiwaygal:

Right at this moment, because of Buddy's elevated liver numbers, protein is not recommended.

Okay that has me a bit confused. Having advanced liver disease myself, not sure why your vet says that. Although damaged livers don't process proteins as well as they should, most recommend MORE highly digestible high quality protein… not less. Perhaps your vet just wants to avoid change til things stabilize?

http://www.vmth.ucdavis.edu/home/NUT/brochures/liver.doc?html

When Special Diets Might Be Beneficial

Liver Disease

In many cases, elevation of liver enzymes alone does not warrant a dietary change. In some instances, if the liver enzymes are consistently elevated, the pet may benefit from supplemental antioxidants. Liver cells may be partially protected from further damage when additional antioxidant precursors or antioxidants beyond those found in the diet are given. Some veterinary nutritionists and veterinarians recommend supplementation with Vitamin E, Vitamin C, S-adenosyl-methionine (SAMe) and/or silymarin (Milk Thistle), but it is important to note that the exact mechanism of action, dosing and efficacy of these supplements are still under investigation. The branched-chain amino acids (BCAA), leucine, isoleucine and valine, have also been suggested as beneficial supplements for humans. Low blood concentrations of BCAA can occur in liver disease, but it is very unclear whether supplementation is justifiable given their high cost and the lack of conclusive evidence that they are beneficial. Protein restriction is NOT recommended in many cases for animals with liver disease based on evidence from research in humans. It is believed that the protein requirement may be increased and unnecessary restriction can reduce the production of important proteins like albumin. Reduced albumin concentrations puts the animal at risk for abnormal fluid accumulations, such as ascites (abdominal fluid). However, protein restriction can be crucial in treating the small number of patients with clinical signs of protein intolerance (hepatic encephalopathy or HE; see section below), but may be detrimental in patients without signs of HE.

http://www.dog-health-guide.org/canineliverdiseasediet.html

• Perhaps I misunderstood her intent, but she was clear on the 'no chicken' thing.

Of course, I was pretty upset when I talked with her (having just gone through losing Sally in August and now facing the possibility of losing Buddy too) so it's entirely possible that I didn't catch everything she said.

I don't like the quality of Hills' foods but at this point I'm much too scared to try to figure it all out on my own just yet. I'm afraid somehow I'll make a wrong choice and forever wonder if I've killed my dogs.

Thank you very much for posting that information. I will talk again with my vet when we see him next week.

• When you are working with your vet, and gathering information to help your dog, I hope you won't wonder if you have "killed your dogs". You are obviously trying everything within your power to help Buddy, as you did with Sally. Sometimes when one of a bonded pair passes away, the remaining dog follows soon after, from one reason or another.
    Good luck with Buddy. Don't beat yourself up; we can only do the best we can at any given time. Hindsight sometimes reveals paths not taken, but one would never know "if" something else might have helped, and to worry over that is counterproductive. You sound like a loving owner, doing the best you can.

• Anne is so right.

My dog, Lucy, was 6 years young when she unexpectedly died. Yes, she was overweight, but I never thought that would KILL her… for weeks, I beat myself up thinking of all of the things I should have done. 😞

With that being said, do the best you can, with what you've got. You and your vet will do the best you can for Buddy. 🙂

• Forgive me folks…I think I'm hypersensitive and over stressed about all this.

To give you some additional background, as I mentioned in my OP, I've had basenji's in my life for over 20 years. Things they do that are 'unique' or 'special' have become commonplace to me. Which is kinda sad.

When I met my now husband, it was hysterical watching him learn about 'senjis. One of his first experiences was the escape artist....Buddy. My husband spent hours building a very functional (but not exactly attractive) kennel for the three dogs. It had to be big enough to comfortably fit Daisy (the golden mix) and I wanted separate spaces for each of them. But they needed to be able to see each other (I knew Buddy had separation issues). I also warned him about the Houdini quality that every senji has.

He planned, he built...he was diligent. And it was sturdy (if not downright industrial)!

It took Buddy about an hour to get out of it. He chewed through a 2x4.

I laughed.

My husband was determined to out-smart Buddy. So he fixed and fiddled and proclaimed that the new kennel was Buddy-proof. I smiled.

It took Buddy about 30 minutes to get out. He managed to bend the steel wire stuff.

I laughed.

Still determined, my husband tried again. This time he used 1/4" lexan panels for the doors on Buddy's section. He assured me this was going to work. I smiled again.

It actually took Buddy about an hour to get out of that. He escaped into Daisy's section and bent the wire to get out HER door. Daisy was still in the kennel.

I laughed.

My husband discovered a new appreciation for basenjis!

After adopting Buddy and Sally, I served as a BRAT volunter/adoption coordinator for about two years. I did a couple of home visits and helped a couple of dogs find permanent homes and foster homes. I think one of the folks I visited is still fostering in my area.

I have also served as a moderator on a dog related message board and that was quite a learning experience! 😃

Anyway, right now my primary concern is getting Buddy in as good health as I can get him. I've been lurking around some of the other boards here and there is so much information. I hope that I can contribute something of value here!

And tanza...do I have to actually cook fish for that diet?!?!?!:eek: ewwww! LOL 😉

I do appreciate all the warm thoughts and ideas and opinions. We all know that senjis are not just a unique breed...they really are very much individuals. What works for one may not work for another, but it might!

Your posts and ideas are very much appreciated!

• This is my "little man" Buddy:

And my beautiful angel girl, Sally:

I'll have to get some better pictures loaded of Daisy…

• Houston

I am so sorry to hear of Sally passing and of course of Buddy now dealing with diabetes. I don't have anything else to add, but rather keep your chin up..I do have issues with anything Hill's branded..just don't like it, but I also understand that you want to listen to your voice of reasoning and in this case it is your vet's voice. I have also heard wonderous things about the liver cleansing diet, you might want to google and see what you can find on it..besides the link already here.

Good luck and please do keep us posted.

• @hiwaygal:

….He planned, he built...he was diligent. And it was sturdy (if not downright industrial)!

It took Buddy about an hour to get out of it. He chewed through a 2x4.

I laughed.

My husband was determined to out-smart Buddy. So he fixed and fiddled and proclaimed that the new kennel was Buddy-proof. I smiled.

It took Buddy about 30 minutes to get out. He managed to bend the steel wire stuff.

I laughed.

Still determined, my husband tried again. This time he used 1/4" lexan panels for the doors on Buddy's section. He assured me this was going to work. I smiled again.

It actually took Buddy about an hour to get out of that. He escaped into Daisy's section and bent the wire to get out HER door. Daisy was still in the kennel.

I laughed.

My husband discovered a new appreciation for basenjis!.....

.....I do appreciate all the warm thoughts and ideas and opinions. We all know that senjis are not just a unique breed...they really are very much individuals. What works for one may not work for another, but it might!

Your posts and ideas are very much appreciated!

THANK YOU, Hi way gal, for making me laugh out loud at my computer… your post captures the endearing hearts of your Buddy, Sally and Daisy! We are all here to support you. :p:cool::)

• Hello…i am new..in this forum

Suggested Topics