• But not new to Basenjis.

We recently lost our long-time companion of 15 years, Maxx, a tri-color Basenji (he was our second). I've created an album on this site with a few pictures. I also created a memorial blog for Maxx, but after reading the Rules, I guess I can't post the URL…if interested, you can PM me.

We are looking for another Basenji, either a puppy or well-socialized young adult (sex and color irrelavant) as a companion. We want to buy from a reputable breeder who does all the necessary health testing (Fanconi, OFA, CERF, etc.). Any referrals would be appreciated...we live in Washington State and winter in Arizona, so would like to stick with breeders in either state, or along the route south. We'd like to visit the breeder to pick up a dog rather than having him or her shipped.

Maxx was a wonderful companion...he loved people, most other dogs, and wasn't destructive, even when left alone inside the house or RV. He was crate trained and went to puppy kindergarten, so perhaps that explains it.

• So sorry about your loss; he must have been a wonderful dog. I miss my lost companions many years later.
    I hope you will also consider a rescue; there are soooo many looking for good homes like yours.

• ? why can't you post the URL, am I unaware of some rule?

I am sorry you lost your dog. If Georgia is an option,
    http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?t=10112
    one of these might fit the bill!

• Welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry for your loss.. I don't think it's a problem to post the URL to the memorial blog for Maxx if you would like to share it 🙂

• @DebraDownSouth:

? why can't you post the URL, am I unaware of some rule?

According to the Community Rules:

"Basenji Forums has a strict, no-self-promotion policy. Promoting your own web pages (including breeders) or pages from sites which you are affiliated with (including affiliate links) will be deemed as self-promotion and could result in the loss of your membership."

I am sorry you lost your dog. If Georgia is an option,
    http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?t=10112
    one of these might fit the bill!

Unfortunately, no, Georgia is not an option since it's not near our travel route. We would like to stick to Washington, Idaho, Oregon, California, Utah, or Nevada. We might consider New Mexico and western Texas once we get down to Arizona.

• @yodel4me:

I hope you will also consider a rescue;

We will consider a rescue if we can find a good fit.

Since we travel a lot by RV (we were fulltime RVers from 1998 until this spring when we bought a house), we need a dog that likes to travel and is good with people and other dogs (since we meet lots of both walking around RV parks and even here in the small mobile home park where we live during the summer). It would also be nice to have one that is not destructive when left alone uncrated in the house or RV. While crating isn't a problem when home, it's more problematic when in the slide-in truck camper because of space considerations. Of course, if we get a puppy, we'll have to make room for a crate, but with an adult, it'd be nice if they didn't have to be crated.

I do look at the BRAT site occasionally for rescues that might work with our lifestyle.

• Linda,
    If you contact me privately, I can give you the name of breeder that has 2 1yr olds that they would like to place

If you go to my website you will find my email addy

• Thanks, Pat. Off to do that now.

• Welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear of the loss of your loving companion. There are many people here who are quality breeders, and you may also want to check the breeders listed with The Basenji Club of America at https://www.basenji.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59&Itemid=94

• First Basenji's

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry for your recent loss, but I hope you will find the opportunity to share your memories and experiences here with us.

I would be interested in the URL for your Basenji blog. In fact, I would like to ask you to share it with us – and since I asked for it, it's not unsolicited self promotion but fulfilling a request, if you choose to post it for us all. 😉 I'm always interested in finding more Basenji blogs.

Many of us include URLs to our personal websites or breeder pages in our signatures. That seems to be permissible. I interpreted the rule as being in place to prevent folks from spamming the site and posting only with the purpose of advertising outside, commercially-oriented pages.

• OK, I've edited my signature to include the link to Maxx's blog.

Suggested Topics