My Angel Child cat is very ill

• First Basenji's

Fran, you and your sweet kitty are in my thoughts.
    For the amount of love you obviously share with them, your pets will always be your angels, here and beyond.

• Fran,
    not sure what time it is in Canada but thinking of you and Barney.

• Fran, just wanted to say thinking of you. (((hugs)))

• Barney flew over the Rainbow Bridge yesterday at 1:30 p.m. For something so hard for us humans to endure, it was the most peaceful and loving thing to do for Barney, who was always our Angel Child.

Our vet then shaved a small area near his tummy/leg first, which I set aside for a souvenir. Then she administered a tranquilizer.This kept Barney alive for about 5 minutes, but he was very dozy. About midway through the 5 minutes, I played a song for Barney - "Forever Young" by Rod Stewart. I have always found the lyrics in this song very beautiful:

May the good Lord be with you down every road you roam
    And may sunshine and happiness surround you when you're far from home
    And may you grow to be proud, dignified, and true
    And do unto others as you'd have done to you
    Be courageous and be brave
    And in my heart you'll always stay
    Forever young, forever young, forever young

May good fortune be with you, may your guiding light be strong
    Build a stairway to heaven with a prince or a vagabond
    And may you never love in vain
    And in my heart you will remain

And when you finally fly away I'll be hoping that I served you well
    For all the wisdom of a lifetime no one can ever tell
    But whatever road you choose
    I'm right behind you win or lose

Then Dr. G gave Barney his final shot. I was holding him. It was so fast. I could feel the muscles in his neck just let his head go limp in my hand. Sometimes at this stage, an animal will pee or poop. He didn't at all. I took him into the bedroom I had been sleeping in to give him extra loves for his last days, and held him. He was cuddled up in a flannel blanket and I held him to my chest, kissing his still warm face, and inhaling the incredible caramel smell he always had. Oh how I wish I could find a perfume like that.

I went back to the living room and handed him carefully to Dr. T. She further wrapped him in a soft blanket. I gave her instructions about wanting his ashes back, and about wanting back the flannel blanket I had wrapped him in.

A final goodbye. It is so tough to say goodbye, but I know it isn't forever. He will watch down on us until the day we meet again.

• This was indeed a gentle death for a sweet boy.

• Fran, you were strong and loving, Barney had a wonderful life and a peaceful end in your arms. No one ever wants a 'goodbye' but you made sure he had an easy farewell, and that is the best final gift we give our beloved pets. Now you have the hard part, grieving and missing your Angel Boy, but know he is watching you and you will be together again.

((((HUGS))))

• Fran ,I am very sorry, it is very hard to loose your beloved pets. know that he had a full and wonderful life with you…

• Fran,
    i'm glad he went over the bridge peacefully, the song is beautiful and very apt. Not sure whether i've heard it before or not.
    Just take each day at a time, for me time has healed.

• I completely missed this thread.. I'm so sorry for your loss Fran..

• Houston

Oh Fran, I am so sorry to read this.
    My thoughts, tears and prayers are with you. I know you love Barney dearly, but most importantly he very much knew that too..you made his life what it was, wonderful, loved and caring…now he is running free again, free from pain.

Suggested Topics