• so, do i have this process correct for fanconi testing?

1. register dog with phenome project (almost wrote 'phoneme' - you can tell i'm a teacher)
    2. fill out an order for testing kit on OFA site

question - does the dog need to be already registered with AKC before you begin this process, or is that irrelevant?

thanks!

• @tlish:

so, do i have this process correct for fanconi testing?

1. register dog with phenome project (almost wrote 'phoneme' - you can tell i'm a teacher)

question - does the dog need to be already registered with AKC before you begin this process, or is that irrelevant?

thanks!

That is correct and it would be good to have him/her registered so that the AKC number is listed. Does not have to be registered, as we have lots of rescues on there where the parentage is not known, but again, it is good to make sure your dog is registered if you have the proper paperwork

• This test will give you an idea of what to expect re fanconi. Good for you for getting it done. I will be happy to hear the results, when you get them.

• Actually you don't HAVE to register with the project, but it is helpful if you do IF you have parentage. They told me if you don't know the dog's pedigree (assuming you aren't planning to BREED a dog with unknown pedigree) it doesn't really matter if you register or not but they appreciate it.

• i do have her pedigree, and i never, never, never in my life plan on breeding. i've never had an intact dog - i'm a 'just for a pet' person, so no reason to deal with all the extra risk and hassle that intact dogs entail.

• i'm having a ridiculous time with the AKC. my PIN number is giving me an error message. i've emailed four different times, i've called at least four times and spoken to numerous people, and no one seems to be willing or able to help. it's very frustrating. i'd like have all the info and enter it with the phenome project and order my fanconi test, but i'm waiting, waiting, waiting for the AKC. i'm wondering why they seem to be so inept. for customer service representatives, they haven't provided me with any service whatsoever. grr.

wait a sec, did i read correctly that it costs $5000 and up to enroll a dog in the phenome project?!? well, i certainly won't be doing that. i would, however, like the AKC issue cleared up before i order the fanconi test, though.

• There is no charge for the Phenome Project? Where did you see that? It is not with AKC? http://www.caninephenome.org is the Phenome website

What is your issue with AKC, maybe someone here can help?

• here is the info from the phenome project: How can I participate?

We will soon be ready to add a few more breeds to the Canine Phenome Project. To do this, we will need support from Breed Clubs or associated Foundations. The current costs for two years of participation range from $5,000 for the smallest breeds to $30,000 for the most popular breeds. If you have questions or would more information contact Liz Hansen at HansenL@missouri.edu or 573-884-3712.

perhaps they mean that it will cost them $5000+ to add new breeds? i don't know.
    http://www.caninephenome.org/info6.html

• @tlish:

here is the info from the phenome project: How can I participate?

We will soon be ready to add a few more breeds to the Canine Phenome Project. To do this, we will need support from Breed Clubs or associated Foundations. The current costs for two years of participation range from $5,000 for the smallest breeds to $30,000 for the most popular breeds. If you have questions or would more information contact Liz Hansen at HansenL@missouri.edu or 573-884-3712.

perhaps they mean that it will cost them $5000+ to add new breeds? i don't know.
    http://www.caninephenome.org/info6.html

as for the AKC, i don't know how anyone could help. it's soo odd. i'm sure the customer service ppl could help in a few seconds if they wanted to. i sent them my app via emial, my dog's reg. number, the sire and dam's reg. number, the PIN number, the full reg. number (all of which are on the app.) and i sent them my receipt for the dog. when i try to register the dog online, it says the pet store needs to send some transfer papers or something, but i'm sure they're not going to do that since it's been over a month and they haven't done it yet (despite my phone calls). so, i'm not sure what will happen. hopefully somebody at the AKC will fix the situation. it's driving me crazy.

What you are reading about the Phenome project has nothing to do with Basenjis or getting you Basenji registered. There is no cost. Go to the link I provided and sign up for an account.

As far as AKC, on the paperwork you got from the pet store, did they sign a transfer? They should have signed the blue slip (I think they are still blue?) on the back transferring ownership to you. Without that your paperwork is useless. AKC can not fix the situation. You need to have the transfer of ownership from the previous owner, pet store if that is who it was. Have you talked to the pet store? All of this should have been given to you when you purchased the pup

• If you have the signed paperwork, you can register her by mail. It will take a few days longer to get her registration certificate in the mail but not much. I register all my pups by mail.

• tanza, i think that may be the paper one of the akc reps was referring to, but when i asked for clarification, she never emailed me back. nonetheless, i will keep calling them and call the pet store manager tomorrow. i already had to go back in once for the registration application, and now this. it's getting annoying. i don't even care about the dumb papers, but since they're there to be had, i may as well, right? ai ai ai….

• You can find the details of what you need for registration on the AKC site. There you will find all the information you need to figure out what you are missing

• @tlish:

when i try to register the dog online, it says the pet store needs to send some transfer papers or something,

When a dog changes ownership more than once before it is individually registered, a supplemental transfer of ownership must be used. (The AKC must have a record of all of the owners of a dog in order to register it.)

I worked in a pet store when I was very young (and naive) and the process goes something like this. The breeder has to sign the AKC papers and send them to the broker. The broker has to sign them, fill out a supplemental transfer, and send both to the pet store. The pet store has to sign the papers, fill out another supplemental transfer, and send both to you.
    Then you have to sign the papers and get them and the transfers to the AKC. Due to the high volume of puppies that go from commercial breeder to broker to pet store, it can take weeks, if not months, to get your final forms.

• well, i went above the heads of the pet store ppl, to their national customer service, and sure enough, the manager called me this morning and will be mailing me the rest of my paperwork (because i didn't want to drive there again). i'll give them tuesday….

• Good for you..keep at it!

• yay! i got suki's paperwork from AKC today. so, now onto the rest of the process….

• @tlish:

yay! i got suki's paperwork from AKC today. so, now onto the rest of the process….

Good for you, glad it worked out

• @tlish:

so, do i have this process correct for fanconi testing?

thanks!

You do not have to register the dog with the Phenome Project. offa.org is doing the testing management so you can go straight there and look under DNA tests.

Suggested Topics