• Janneke,
    i think in your heart you already knew you were going to take Fossa. She looks a realy special girl and how interesting that she actualy comes from africa. I do agree with Patty that it's a shame she was taken from her home country and then abandoned.
    I look foward to hearing all about her.

• @Janneke:

Yes, I agree and yes, will do.. after wednesday of course.. I still have a hard time letting that puppy go.. Sigh..

It is a hard decision and one you will have to really think about and find the right answer for you, not what everyone else thinks. Though Fossa is already here and in need of a home, that puppy will be here in part because you said you wanted her and will now need a new home. Of course, there is no way to know for sure that there will be a girl puppy in the litter so it is still a bit of gamble. No easy answer, that's for sure.

• I also don't envy the decision…I can only say just listen to you heart :).
    Have you been thinking about getting more time for your decision? It is important decision and you should have a clear mind and don't be "stressed out" ;).

• I just had a horrible night, with little sleep… And I feel really selfish.. But I don't think that I can wait another 3-4 years for a puppy.. Like I said.. We can't pick her up before wednesday.. So if she's gone by then.. It was supposed to go that way.. That will at least give us some extra time to think. I'm really a planner.. So I can't 'just' do something big like bringing home a young dog... :S

• She is a lovely looking girl, I am sure she will settle in with you.

Tillo will enjoy the company and showing her what to do!

• could you foster her for the shelter? i understand about wanting what you want, and certainly you should have the dog you want. after all, we're talking about a 15 year commitment.

• If you are not sure that Fossa is right for your household right now, maybe you know others in the basenji community that might be interested in her? Perhaps letting the basenji club know that she is there, what her story is, and that she is in need of home, will bring the right home to her.

• Fossa is very beautiful - since she and Tillo get along, and you are already losing your heart to her, I would suggest you keep her - you are so wonderful with your pups, owned and loaned, that she would have a great home, and she really needs it. I have a "real" basenji and a mix, and am very happy to have both.

• @Shaye's:

Fossa is very beautiful - since she and Tillo get along, and you are already losing your heart to her, I would suggest you keep her - you are so wonderful with your pups, owned and loaned, that she would have a great home, and she really needs it. I have a "real" basenji and a mix, and am very happy to have both.

Ah yes, I remember the great times all of you had with Lycia. Tillo really did seem to enjoy his lady friend. But I agree with you that you should take a bit of time, at least until Wednesday, to think about this. Did you see yourself as a breeder down the line? Was the idea of getting a female down the line a step towards this? If so, you might want to wait, but until then, possibly do the best you can to find this dog a forever home, as mentioned above.

I don't envy the decision you have to make though. I don't know if I could turn down an immediate addition to the house, based on the situation you have mentioned. I know your partner has suggested you wait until getting another puppy, but with these feelings of adding another dog to your home, is it possible that you really are ready for another puppy girl right now? Just take the time to think it through clearly, and good luck.

• Houston

Wow, Janneke, what a hard choice to make..I'd say wait and see what happens on wednesday…if she is there, that might be the sign..I also understand you wanting to get a puppy, it isn't selfish at all, don't think like that.
    Keeping you in my thoughts as I know it will be hard..

• @Basenjimamma:

Wow, Janneke, what a hard choice to make..I'd say wait and see what happens on wednesday…if she is there, that might be the sign..I also understand you wanting to get a puppy, it isn't selfish at all, don't think like that.
    Keeping you in my thoughts as I know it will be hard..

I'm done with those signs.. you know how many 'puppy signs' I've had… 😉

I spoke to the lady from the shelter who had Fossa at home for two weeks. She understood that I needed more time. She will be up for adoption and if BF and I make up our minds by wednesday and we would like to have her, we just have to hope she's still there.. although it would make it easier if someone else could offer her that perfect home. I know the shelter will only place her in a home with another dog, so that's comforting.

I believe our club only puts pedigree B's up for adoption on their website.. and only if the owner is a member… I think Fossa is in one of the best shelters there is in the Netherlands, it's very clean, they know a lot about the dogs, there is a lot of space for the dogs, play areas, daily walks, a vet in the building and a lot of nice people working there.. I know for sure that if we choose to go for a puppy, they will find a good home for Fossa.

We'll just spend the next couple of days looking at her pics and at puppy pics..

• I think it's good that you really think about it.
    What decision you are going to make it's not an impulse (is that the correct word?)

We can't help you making the decision, so lot's of succes thinking about it… 😉
    As I read your story about the shelter, she will get a good home for sure.

I really liked her but it's the same story here, there are "other" puppy plans here...
    (of course I have to wait until we are moved haha)

• Houston

I know Janneke, I know..whatever decision you make it will the best for you and your family..I just wish you the best..

• @Arwen:

I'm no help. I say take her and work on the BF later. No one can resist a cute Basenji puppy! 😉

I say take her only if you can take her and put off the puppy for at least a couple of years. It sounds like you and your BF agree that 2 dogs is tops for now. I do agree, go with your heart. Other option is to foster her.. will they let you?

@lvoss:

Though Fossa is already here and in need of a home, that puppy will be here in part because you said you wanted her and will now need a new home.

I'd be shocked to find any breeder who bred based on one or even 4 potential homes. We breed to create the next generation, not because of any individual lined up as a home. And if that breeder has no options other than that one home, don't you think something is terribly wrong? That puppy has far better chance of a SUPER home than Fossa does.

That said, I think the issue is what does she WANT. Sadly there are probably 100 dogs in that shelter who need a home even more than Fossa since how many can be that gorgeous! Ultimately we aren't responsible for adopting because a dog needs a home, but rather because that dog is the right one for us.

• @DebraDownSouth:

I'd be shocked to find any breeder who bred based on one or even 4 potential homes. We breed to create the next generation, not because of any individual lined up as a home. And if that breeder has no options other than that one home, don't you think something is terribly wrong? That puppy has far better chance of a SUPER home than Fossa does.

I don't want to hijack Janneke's thread but responsible breeders breed a litter when they know they will have homes for them. They also honestly tell perspective homes when their list is full and refer them to other breeders. So yes, litters are bred because breeders have an appropriate number of suitable homes for their puppies. I never said that a breeder would not have other options but the later the decision is made and communicated to the breeder the less options they have since they would have been turning away what may be excellent homes on the basis of having a full waiting list that is then no longer full.

In a poor economy, appropriate homes can be harder to come by and can factor into the decision to breed that year or put off.

• I guess I am used to most good breeders having a waiting list. But then I do realize the rarer the breed, the worse the problem. I know Scottish deer hound people who have had to give dogs away or stop breeding. One gal gave her top show prospect up because it was the only one the person wanted and she was so desperate for homes. But I guess I just don't see that dire in Basenji. When I bred Rotties I EXPECTED at least a third of homes to not work out, that's part of the plan.

My point was she shouldn't feel guilty about the breeder pup. It isn't her responsibility that the breeder bred, I think it's pretty safe to bet the breeding was planned long before she asked for a pup, and she should go with her heart. That breeder's pup isn't going to be euthanized, or in danger of it, if she doesn't take it.

• @lvoss:

I don't want to hijack Janneke's thread but responsible breeders breed a litter when they know they will have homes for them. They also honestly tell perspective homes when their list is full and refer them to other breeders. So yes, litters are bred because breeders have an appropriate number of suitable homes for their puppies. I never said that a breeder would not have other options but the later the decision is made and communicated to the breeder the less options they have since they would have been turning away what may be excellent homes on the basis of having a full waiting list that is then no longer full.

That happened to me last year. Six puppies were born and I quickly had confirmed homes for all 6. Since I did not have anything available, I referred other potential buyers to other breeders. Then when the pups were about 5-6 weeks old, three of the homes I had lined up backed out. I contacted people who had inquired earlier but unfortunately they had made arrangements with other breeders or went elsewhere for a Basenji. I spent quite a bit of money on advertising but the combination of there being a ton of puppies available in the US at the same time plus the economical crunch meant homes were scarce. It took several months to find a home for one of the pups and the other two, now 10 1/5 months old, are still here waiting for new homes.

• Boy that stinks Robyn! If I get any inquiries for older dogs/pups - which I do get - I will be sure to send your way. I assume you will not be breeding this year so no need to send baby puppy queries your way? Also - I know you do not ship but are you willing to sell if folks will fly in to get one of the older pups?

Washington Dispensaries

• Update?? Just wondering

• We decided to wait longer. I had to study this week, so having a new dog around would be a bit too much ?nd I really want a puppy… I just saw on the internet that she found someone who's interested in her, so she probably found a new home already. Fingers crossed for her 🙂 It's hard to choose between two things, If you would rather have both.... Sigh..

Suggested Topics