• So this morning all hell broke loose. Last night Anubis was happy, ate all his dinner and was playing with his new toys and then this morning I woke up to a pool of blood on my bed next to me and Anubis lifeless and barely responsive in the pool of blood. There was bloody diarrhea all over the room and blood drops all over the carpet as well. He was lifeless, his tail hung limp and not curled over his back, he wouldn't eat and he wasn't alert either. He looked like he had a hard time walking. I panicked and rushed him to my vet. He tried to offer him a piece of turkey and he turned it down. The doctor said it was most likely Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis. Doctors don't know the exact cause of it but the most notable sign seen with HGE is a very sudden onset of bloody diarrhea in a previously healthy dog. Vomiting, not eating (anorexia), and listlessness are also seen. Dehydration is not usually clinically seen on initial presentation, but shock can develop quickly without treatment. He's on an IV and being pumped with fluids as we speak. They aren't sure how to treat it so they are going off what they've done with other dogs in the past. He's on 24hr care. HGE CAN kill dogs but my vet said he's never lost a dog to it. But he said Anubis looked as bad as they can be when he came in 😞 So tonight im without my baby and Im going to be up all night in case the vet calls with any news. The Parvo test they did came back negative. Plus he had had his shots recently so parvo wasn't very likely. They said his packed cells are high….meaning there's barely any water in his blood and its mostly cells. The blood thats coming out his rear is very clumpy and looks like grape jelly. My most recent update told me that his color is coming back a little but the blood is still coming out all clumpy but his packed cells are looking better. But he's not out of the woods yet 😞

Has anyone else ever had this with a dog????

• While I have not heard of Basenjis with this or experienced it… there is lots of information on line. Here is one http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/hge.html

Good thoughts coming your way and his!!!

• Oh how awful! And scary!!!

But it sounds like there is some good news. He's looking better. Your vet hasn't lost a dog to this (and he sounds determined NOT to). Basenjis are tough little dogs. He has a caring owner.

I expect to hear "he's back home" soon.

Keeping fingers crossed and thinking good thoughts

• First Basenji's

No experiences here, but hoping that your quick response and your vet's optimism and expertise will pull Anubis through this! Please keep us posted.

• Oh, hugs honey, how awful. Do keep us informed.

• I am also keeping you and Anubis in my prayers! Please keep the faith; you pup sounds like he's in good hands. 🙂

• Oh wow…that sounds terrifying. He will be in my thoughts.

• Hugs from here, hoping the bleeding stops soon and he is on the mend.

• Warm thoughts from us to you and Anubis.. I have been in your shoes with a seriously ill pup, it's awful. Even when it's really scary good things can still happen !

• How terrifying for you!!
    Sending positive vibes that all turns out well.

Terry

• How awful for you, hoping he heals quickly.

Suggested Topics