• Located at: http://boise.craigslist.org/pet/1980920523.html

mailto:comm-dwee7-1980920523@craigslist.org

I have a one year old female basenji, lemon. She is UTD on shots and fixed.
    She is good with OLDER children, other dogs, and cats. She is house broken, and trained but needs an owner willing to work with her
    She does not bark.
    There will be a small rehoming fee

attachment_t_9895_0_lemon.jpg

• I don't get the whole "small rehoming/a
    doption fee" from these peopl abandoning their dogs? I get it if you are a breeder or a rescue who takes on nUmerous expenses in caring for the dogs. But these people that want someone else to fix their mistake and compensate them for it irritate me!

• Well you actually hear a lot of people recommend to always request money when giving your dog away. Even if you want to just donate it to a local shelter later. Because there is such a high rate of people taking these free animals and using them for dog fights or even feeding other animals (such as kittens for snakes).

• I notified BRAT. They have a form letter they send out to folks asking them to consider
    turning the b over to rescue, so we can get the best home possible for the dogs.
    Hope this turns out well.

• I understand both sides of asking for money… I think many people put "small re-homing fee" for the reasons you state... but when you meet, then they waive the "fee". I did not have to pay when I rescued Sophie and Becca, even though (I think) both ads eluded to one.

Back to this girl, who is in Boise... is there a forever home in her future? And again, the reason I post the picture is just in case the breeder of Lemon is on here, and sees their year old baby... perhaps get this young thing back?

• @Ellusionz:

Well you actually hear a lot of people recommend to always request money when giving your dog away. Even if you want to just donate it to a local shelter later. Because there is such a high rate of people taking these free animals and using them for dog fights or even feeding other animals (such as kittens for snakes).

Ellusionz is correct. Never, ever advertise an animal as being free or even "cheap" because some sicko may feed you a bunch of bull to get their hands on it. Asking money (even if you have no plans to actually take it) makes people think twice before they inquire about the pet.

• First Basenji's

I agree about the need for a small rehoming free. It really does serve as a necessary "screener," I think. Psychologically, people also just take more care of what they have to pay for, even if a nominal amount.

The woman I got my darling little Craigslist Basenji from asked for $100. I think this is reasonable. She also asked to come see our house, which we gladly allowed, and she offered to take the dog back if for some reason it didn't work out. These are signs that the Craigslist ad poster isn't just trying to "dump" the dog, though that happens too…

During my months of searching and waiting for the right Basenji to come along, I saw ads that were asking for $400-$600 "rehoming" fees, usually on older puppies and unaltered adults. Those ads quickly got flagged by Craigslist patrollers who saw it not as a reasonable rehoming fee meant to deter potential abusers, but as a sale price which is not permitted on Craigslist. I would rather wait patiently for the right BRAT listing than give that much to an individual who's trying to recoup their losses for dumping a dog.

• I found this second listing…. this may be the same dog?
    Posted 9/24. If this person has AKC papers, perhaps there is a breeder that would want this girl back?

http://boise.craigslist.org/pet/1971814505.html

email: comm-tnj8c-1971814505@craigslist.org

hello….we have a basenji female she is about 8 months old, AKC papers available.
    we have had her since she was weaned, and is a great dog. She loves families, dogs, etc.
    The last couple of weeks, she has been getting a little grumpy with our 1 yr old, and I do not
    want her to get meaner or learn to bite so we have decided to let her go to another forever home...
    she is the red color with white neck, and loves to be inside...
    please call with any questions, I will try to post pics soon, camera is out of batteries
    she likes kids, just not our 1 yr old...**
    we are pretty firm on her price at two hundred seventy five**
    thanks
    two four nine ninety three twenty three

• @curlytails:

During my months of searching and waiting for the right Basenji to come along, I saw ads that were asking for $400-$600 "rehoming" fees, usually on older puppies and unaltered adults. Those ads quickly got flagged by Craigslist patrollers who saw it not as a reasonable rehoming fee meant to deter potential abusers, but as a sale price which is not permitted on Craigslist. I would rather wait patiently for the right BRAT listing than give that much to an individual who's trying to recoup their losses for dumping a dog.

I think this is an unfair statement as it implies that if you care about a dog you (practically) give it away and if you don't you ask money for it. If the owner of the dog cares about it they will screen the home carefully regardless of what they may be asking for it.

• it's not that difficult of a delima. you can always state that an adoption fee $XX will be donated to XXX charity. There are many, many good charities out there - BRAT, Basenji Health fund, local Humane, Alzheimers, American Cancer, etc.

In fact, if you're adopting an animal you can always offer that in lieu of the adoption $150 fee you'll make a $200 donation to the local Humane. I always thought that would be a sort of interesting social experiment.

• First Basenji's

@YodelDogs:

I think this is an unfair statement as it implies that if you care about a dog you (practically) give it away and if you don't you ask money for it. If the owner of the dog cares about it they will screen the home carefully regardless of what they may be asking for it.

I don't think I was implying any such black-and-white generalization at all. My statement applies specifically to Craigslist, which I think is a risky medium for rehoming dogs as it makes dogs completely vulnerable to exploitation unless homes are carefully screened, which most people don't do, at least not in my area. I agree that screening a home is the best way to show that a previous owner cares where their dog ends up, moreso than any dollar amount (or lack thereof). However, what I often see is a false assumption that a higher "rehoming" fee assures a good home in and of itself, which is not true. Admittedly, there's no clear definition of what is a "reasonable" Craigslist rehoming fee and what is a sale. Craigslist itself does not say "Anything over X dollars is a sale," but its terms of use are explicit that no animal sales are to occur on its forum. And that's why rehoming fees SHOULD be kept low on Craigslist.

Young puppies and adult dogs rehomed by private individuals, responsible breeders, and rescues, who make use of other, non-Craigslist venues go by different standards altogether, including monetary ones.

• At the end of today, Lemon is still looking for a home. Is there anyone in Boise that can reach out to this girl? 🙂

Suggested Topics