Animal Planet Dogs 101: Basenji Video Clip

• Houston

I am so glad I wasn't the only one to balk at the "hunt lion" part..I just knew they got that wrong.
    The only thing that worries me about these types of shows is how the more unknowledgeable of people will start looking for these breeds, which will encourage more BYB's and puppymills once again..

• Wow… they miss the boat on that one... someone now needs to tell my C-Me she can't bark...gggg
    And they are Calm?... not if you watch my two... like please they should have had the B-500 on there...

And I agree, they make the Basenji out to be the perfect dog... for any family...NOT

• First Basenji's

@Quercus:

I didn't either! I love it when she says stay, and the dog immediately pops up…so basenji!

That was my favorite part too. 🙂

• I have no idea where we first heard it, but I have heard the "hunt lions" thing for years. We think that a pack of basenjis might keep nipping and annoying a lion till it just gave up! Maybe a lion CUB, haha!

• They actually specifically say that a basenji is good for any family if well-trained…I just don't think "any" basenji is good for any family. Their personalities range so much from what I've heard!

Last night we were at a puppy social and someone asked about Paco's breed, and Chris used the "lions" line, lol. I smacked my forehead and was like "I'm sure that at most, having a pack of them in a village might have discouraged lions from coming near. Everything I've researched says 'helped chase small game into nets'."

edit: found at least one source for the "lion" story: http://www.basenji.org/african/macd6709.htm

check the fourth and fifth paragraphs

• @tanza:

And they are Calm?… not if you watch my two... like please they should have had the B-500 on there...

LOL, I had the same thought - neither pack that I have would be considered calm - not even my 5 year olds…

Oh, and did they even mention the Congo? I don't remember hearing that...

• @Shannanigan:

edit: found at least one source for the "lion" story: http://www.basenji.org/african/macd6709.htm

check the fourth and fifth paragraphs

Interesting article. I really like the bottom section - perhaps the precursor to our brindles? At least maybe we could put the wandering, lustful brindle whippet to rest. :O) Would love to see what it looked like.

"We also have a cat-dog animal that looks somewhat like a tiger stripe. It is called "Safando," It is a separate wild animal of its own kind. When young, it can be domesticated and can be mixed bred with dogs. As a separate animal, it is so ferocious and strong, it can kill a hyena. When catch-ing the young, we wait until night for the adult animals to go hunting, then we can take the cubs. They can be trained and make a good pet. We don't like them too much, but the Europeans like to have them for pets. There are so many free dogs about in Gambia we do not think so much of them as you do in Canada. "

List Of Chrysler Vehicles

• @sinbaje:

Interesting article. I really like the bottom section - perhaps the precursor to our brindles? At least maybe we could put the wandering, lustful brindle whippet to rest. :O) Would love to see what it looked like.

"We also have a cat-dog animal that looks somewhat like a tiger stripe. It is called "Safando," It is a separate wild animal of its own kind. When young, it can be domesticated and can be mixed bred with dogs. As a separate animal, it is so ferocious and strong, it can kill a hyena. When catch-ing the young, we wait until night for the adult animals to go hunting, then we can take the cubs. They can be trained and make a good pet. We don't like them too much, but the Europeans like to have them for pets. There are so many free dogs about in Gambia we do not think so much of them as you do in Canada. "

I loved that paragraph, too. I went looking for more info but haven't found much yet. Roamed around the cape dog sites a bit, which distracted me from any real work all morning 😃

• Houston

Very intersted article for sure..I had no idea about some of the things stated in there.
    Thanks for sharing Shannanigan.

• @Shannanigan:

They actually specifically say that a basenji is good for any family if well-trained

My question is…the basenji or the family? Which needs to be well-trained?

• @Arwen:

My question is…the basenji or the family? Which needs to be well-trained?

Bahahahahah…good point!

• I enjoyed the video but thought that they ought to check many of their facts. The trouble is that people who don't know take these programmes for gospel and things get repeated - that's how urban myths arise. I wonder where in the world there are pygmies and lions together with Basenjsi!!

• Is the "Safando" related to the wild haggis that roams the remote areas of Scotland? I can't find anything about it on the 'net. Googling Safando, I got lots of pics of jeans.

• @agilebasenji:

Is the "Safando" related to the wild haggis that roams the remote areas of Scotland? I can't find anything about it on the 'net. Googling Safando, I got lots of pics of jeans.

Hmmm, Basenjis like Jeans!!!!

• Know I know the meaning of using basenjis to hunt lions-

Masai" use them for hunting lions in the
    forests of the Kenya. The "Masai" hunters use the fast, silent dogs as bait to taunt the lions out of
    their dens.

As bait!

• Was very pleased when I saw that video on Dogs 101 - glad you posted it here! It's very rare to see anything concerning Basenjis on TV, and it would be great to see one showing all their idiosyncrasies so people would know to really really know the breed before getting one - their looks and their quiet sell them right off, to some who don't understand them. We spoke with a woman just the other day who had gotten one from the Humane Society - this poor dog had been adopted out AND RETURNED three times before she finally found him and saved him.

• There was a shelter in Columbus, OH and they used to call B rescue in the mid 90s because the adoptions of Bs did not work out. We took in a B Mix-probably part Sheltie and she was not even put out in the adoption area as she was kept in another room. I was working in Columbus temporarily M-F and staying in a motel and I would go see her M-Th to make sure she was socialized. She eventually came to BEAR in Dayton, OH. Only B I knew that would chase balls and bring them back! She had a running style like a B and loved to practice lure coursing. She was a sweetie. The adoption worked out well also.

Jennifer

• Many shelters will contact rescue directly, because they know b's are hard to place into the right home..
    Which is wonderful for rescue and the b's…we find them a basenji smart home!

• while i appreciate Animal Planet doing anything about Basenjis i was horrified by some of the people who take this seriously! i was out walking Zumi my b-boy the other day and were stopped by the park by a mother and two small boys. The boys were so excited and squealing, and the mom kept encouraging saying things like " see boys? this is a LION hunter!" and so on. i tried to correct but they would have nothign of it, the lady even going so far as to call me ignorant of my own breed because she had seen the show! really people? my little guy could probably kill a squirrel, a bunny or even a cat, but a lion? i don't think so. and why do they have them located on dry plains? they are more jungle-ish. how sad. if they want to do a show on the breed, they NEED to do a thorough research first.
    also, whiule Zumi made an awesome apartment dog (walking him 5 miles per day, and him having lots of activities/toys in the house, and many trips to dog parks) not all b's would be good. they can be very loud, and very destructive. i so agree that they should have shown a b-500. i think its a breed trait, lol. and to be honest, the family needs to be trained in order to train the B.
    i loved seeing a B on TV, but i wish they had done it correctly. now people are going to have a warped view of them, its sad because the new owners are going to have a poor foundation and knowledge of what they are truly getting into.

• @dcmclcm4:

Only B I knew that would chase balls and bring them back!

Paco will chase a ball and bring it back - but you'll have to fight him for it to throw it again. 🙂

Suggested Topics