• I don't trim tails,whiskers or EARS:eek: I like the au natural look:)

When I was showing in Germany I saw loads of tails that looked more like they had been shaved rather than trimmed and I didn't like it at all. Not sure about whiskers as never noticed:o
    As for bathing mine don't get a full bath before every show usually I just do the white bits. Nails I do a couple of days before. Mine always walk in to the show also and just get wiped down once in. I like Basenjis for the fact that they are a wash n go breed:p:D

• I totally agree with Jess about over washing - after all basenjis are perfectly good at keeping themselves reasonably clean and shouldn't need bathing every week - in my opinion too it's not good for the coat.

I'm wary of using a dremel and sometimes when one of you are dremelling at a show when I'm there I'd be grateful if you'd show me how you do it! I brought a dremel a few years ago and its still in its box unused!!!

• I don't bathe/wash, don't trim nails, don't touch the whiskers and I have trimmed Tillo's tail once because his breeder emailed me about it.. Haha 😉

Tillo looks and smells perfect as he is 😉

• I agree, I think a little trimming the tail looks good and is ok, but the whiskers.. I don't know, I don't think they look bad and ..you know, they use them it's a necessary part of their sensory system… I don't know it just seems wrong to me.

• yeah I agree about the bathing as well, although, here in the tropics, with the heat and really high humidity ,even Basenjis can get a litlle funky sometimes!

• @Patty:

I totally agree with Jess about over washing - after all basenjis are perfectly good at keeping themselves reasonably clean and shouldn't need bathing every week - in my opinion too it's not good for the coat.

I'm wary of using a dremel and sometimes when one of you are dremelling at a show when I'm there I'd be grateful if you'd show me how you do it! I brought a dremel a few years ago and its still in its box unused!!!

The secret to the dogs co-operating with the dremel is bribery! Mine queue up because they want the treat.

I use the Dremel all the time at home, I have 4 B's that aren't shown at the moment! If its an indoor show and you just briefly dremel the nails they look super clean when they go in the ring!

Suggested Topics