• yes ive noticed sebastian doesnt seem to like it when dogs bark
    he gets this really offended look on his face 🙂

sebastian has a plastic crate that was given to us by someone from brat to use, he doesnt like it and im wondering if there really is a need to train him to it since he is not at all destructive even when left alone
    all the tests sebastian has are done because brat requests it and are paid for by brat but thank you for the input.
    sebastian went to an outdoor cafe last night and behaved like a perfect gentleman for several hours while i had dinner with a friend, i never thought i could do that with a basenji !!
    the cleaning seems to have eased up now to a normal level which is wonderful, now we just have the separation anxiety to deal with.
    im working on getting a companion dog here at the house to see if that will help sebastian stay calm when i leave.
    it will be hard to let sebastian go, i dont flatter myself that im the only person he will be happy with, he likes everybody, i just worry that the family who takes him might not treat him the way he should be treated, im sure this is a worry that all fosters have when one of their basenjis goes out into the world,
    anyone here foster??
    do you have the same concerns?
    i absolutely want to help out basenjis in need of rescue and if i keep sebastian i wont be able to do that, but i also never thought id meet a basenji who has NONE of the normal basenji issues ie: bolting out the door, escaping from the yard, being destructive, counter surfing, getting into the garbage, bathroom and kitchen, sebastian understands no and actually obeys!!
    to think that i could go eat outside and have a basenji who would be content to sit with me for hours while i ate and visited is beyond belief, i almost feel like i have a one in a million dog here and wonder if im a fool for even considering giving him up ??
    i have a lot of pressure from a lot of people to keep sebastian which doesnt make it any easier 🙂
    im sure in the end i will give him up to a good adoptive family but it will be hard
    so again thanks for the input and comments, as you can probably understand not being able to go places without sebastian does tend to make you feel a little isolated, kind of like a mom with a newborn, all conversation revolves around sebastian its really rather pathetic 🙂 🙂

• I'm so glad that you are making such progress with Sebastian. He has so many positive attributes I'm sure he'll make a great 'forever' Basenji. Well done for your perseverance, I'm sure Sebastian will benefit in the long run.

• @thunderbird8588:

It did cross my mind to suggest some sort of medication to help him in the short term, like you say it may break the pattern of behaviours so that he can learn some new ones.
    Hopefully your vet will be able to advise, you won't be able to cope well if you don't get some sleep.

So much good advice. And I agree, if a little meds help to change the behaviors, don't hesitate to try some.

The crate also is a way to work on the anxiety. Feed or give a treat, leave the room for 2 mins, 3 mins, 5 mins, extend to 10 etc. A kong smeared with a little peanut butter or cream cheese (I like to freeze them so you have a good 15 mins window of activity).

@westcoastflea1:

yes ive noticed sebastian doesnt seem to like it when dogs bark he gets this really offended look on his face 🙂

sebastian has a plastic crate that was given to us by someone from brat to use, he doesnt like it and im wondering if there really is a need to train him to it since he is not at all destructive even when left alone

it will be hard to let sebastian go, i dont flatter myself that im the only person he will be happy with, he likes everybody, i just worry that the family who takes him might not treat him the way he should be treated, im sure this is a worry that all fosters have when one of their basenjis goes out into the world,
    anyone here foster??

He really does need crate training. Some time he may be traveling, in a hotel that requires it, or sick or boarded. Learning it from you will make those strange times not horrific because he'll already be used to crates.

For the rest, wow, you are incredible. And yes, most foster homes worry. I find fostering for BRAT very hard. Most dogs I foster and rehab I am in total control. With BRAT, I have to trust them. I took a puppy to TN and I really thought.. I won't let them have her if I don't feel right. Fortunately for my relationship with Brat, I adored them. They had a web page up in days! But as you get to know the BRAT coordinators, you'll come to trust them. I always remind myself that I can only handle so many dogs… each rescue I KEEP is one less slot I have for a foster. But if your heart doesn't want to let this boy go... adopt him. 🙂 It certainly sounds like you are really bonding.

• thanks for the input about fostering, in a way i guess its good to know brat has the final say, if i have no control over it then maybe i wont worry so much? and you are so right if i keep sebastian i wont have room for anymore fosters which is the reason im doing this in the first place.
    so my roommate had a dog to visit last night, very nice low key dog larger then sebastian.
    sebastian ignored the dog until i got up and went into the other room, then they met, sebastian growled and the dog pretty much ignored it he just stood there, when the dog didnt back away sebastian growled a lot more and sort of snapped at the dog at which point the dog reacted just a bit then backed off.
    havent seen him behave quite like this before
    sebastian will meet larger dogs at the dog park with fur raised and a low growl which generally causes the other dog to back off at which point sebastian is fine, (havent met a dog yet who doesnt back off not sure what will happen if or when we do).

after this sebastian will join in with the other dogs and have fun.

he hasnt gone quite this far with the warning before and im wondering why he behaved this way? was it territorial or was the dog sending out a signal i didnt pick up on? or perhaps sebastian feels a bit more confident in the house so thought he'd be a bit of a bully?
    not sure how i should handle this in the future? let sebastian know verbally that its not acceptable? let the two dogs deal with it as long as it doesnt escalate to a violent situation?
    figure maybe sebastian will tolerate another dog in the house but thats about it?
    so any input would be great
    thanks again

• @westcoastflea1:

so my roommate had a dog to visit last night, very nice low key dog larger then sebastian.
    sebastian ignored the dog until i got up and went into the other room, then they met, sebastian growled and the dog pretty much ignored it he just stood there, when the dog didnt back away sebastian growled a lot more and sort of snapped at the dog at which point the dog reacted just a bit then backed off.
    havent seen him behave quite like this before
    sebastian will meet larger dogs at the dog park with fur raised and a low growl which generally causes the other dog to back off at which point sebastian is fine, (havent met a dog yet who doesnt back off not sure what will happen if or when we do).

The dog in the paragraph above was a dog that didn't back off and you saw exactly what will happen, Sebastian will escalate his distance increasing signals to gain the distance he needs to feel comfortable.

@westcoastflea1:

he hasnt gone quite this far with the warning before and im wondering why he behaved this way? was it territorial or was the dog sending out a signal i didnt pick up on? or perhaps sebastian feels a bit more confident in the house so thought he'd be a bit of a bully?
    not sure how i should handle this in the future? let sebastian know verbally that its not acceptable? let the two dogs deal with it as long as it doesnt escalate to a violent situation?
    figure maybe sebastian will tolerate another dog in the house but thats about it?
    so any input would be great
    thanks again

Again, the difference this time was that the dog held its ground instead of giving Sebastian the distance he asked for.

Do not verbally correct him for growling. You want the growl because it is a low level warning signal that Sebastian in uncomfortable and if you correct him for growling then he escalate past the growl to the snap or bite. When he growls, if he is on leash, then back him up to create distance until he is at a distance where he doesn't feel the need to growl anymore. If he is not on a leash then call him to you so he creates distance between him and the other dog.

• okay great i didnt say or do anything when this happened i was willing to wait for it to resolve, unless it became violent, but my roommate was a little uncomfortable so called the other dog into the other room. so although this dog did seem very low key, he wasnt heeding sebastians signals the way he should have. thanks for clarifying this for me, i really appreciate it:)

• I really suggest you touch bases with BRAT to get some more experienced help in YOUR HOME with him and other dogs. Had a fight broken out, you would have created a much more serious problem.

When I introduce new dogs, I often keep leashed and apart for hours, even days. I crate within sight of each other. Dogs can be ultra territorial at home. Inside the house, they know they have no where to escape. Sometimes letting dogs meet away from the house is less of an issue, in fact often is. I let them control the friendliness, but I prevent the potential fighting til it is clear they accept and want some contact.

• unfortunately its not possible to keep a new dog crated or leashed before seeing if sebastian wants to meet him, i have roommates and sebastian needs to be able to function when introduced to new situations whether they be dog visitors or human visitors, if sebastian doesnt want to be around a dog visitor i find that he just stays with me in another room, when we go into the common area any problems are caused by the dog approaching sebastian, he doesnt approach them.
    he is not aggressive in the slightest, but he does demand his space from a dog that approaches him, which i think is fine, he has that right, since he cant ask politely he has to growl to get the point across
    sebastian seems to just be doing the typical basenji thing warn the new dog off til he decides to check him out in his own time. my last basenji did this as well, all dogs are treated as a possible threat til proven otherwise 🙂
    i was just wondering why the reaction was a bit more forceful then it has ever been before, the dog was an older rather dopey stupid dog which threw me since i didnt see how sebastian could consider him to be any threat at all, and i didnt see why sebastian would feel the need to go one step above the normal growl my mistake as the other posters pointed out, space is space as far as sebastian is concerned, whether its space from a dopey stupid dog or a rottie 🙂
    i was also wondering if sebastian had picked up on the small amount of irritation i was feeling at having a large long haired panting smelly dog in my house 🙂
    i do think you are correct that sebastian might have felt a little more pressured because he was in an enclosed area and not outside where he generally meets new dogs, and i had wondered about that aspect of it, my last basenji was very wary of meeting new dogs while leashed its like she knew she was at a disadvantage if there was a problem with the other dog so i do think you are right on with that assessment

sebastian has met hundreds of dogs in the 2 weeks he has been with me at the dog park and all are met with raised fur and a low growl to back off and give him space and they have all respected that, he then proceeds to sniff them all at his own pace and play with them as well, not sure how much better it could get with a basenji? i know im thrilled with how well he gets along with all the other dogs at the dog park 🙂
    so after hearing from everyone i think its clear that sebastians behavior was fine, i was puzzled by the whole thing because i saw it from my perspective and not sebastians, so thanks again all for clearing it up for me 🙂

• I have a question regarding a somewhat irrelevant part of your first message. you said you bought some marrow bones and hollowed them out. Is there a reason for that, I mean for hollowing them out (removing the marrow)? Is it bad for them because my basenji ,Ayo, loves the marrow!!

• i let sebastian eat the marrow out as much as he could then cleaned them and put peanut butter inside for sebastian to get out, sort of like a cheap version of a kong?

• Okay, marrow bones. I used to always give but had one very aggressive chewer. The vet showed me the actual cracks in her teeth! The other dogs were fine, btw. But every once in a while, shine a flashlight on the teeth and look for cracks. I check their teeth, but I never saw the cracks til she put actual light on them.

Suggested Topics