• Hello. I am Arwen from Austin, Texas. I am currently Basenji-less but used to own a pair that I also showed. My male was a darling red and white named Ariel. His pedigree is here. Ariel's dad was a dog I just knew as Chester, but he was a gorgeous boy whose "official" name was El Kahira Castano Bakari.

My bitch was Tammie Jean to me but Azenda Nuffsaid on her papers. Her pedigree is here. Tammie Jean's original human mom was a lady from England. She got Tammie there and brought her with her (she was a USAF wife.) I saw an ad one day that said "Basenji $100" with a phone number. Silly me. I'd seen a show long ago about a Basenji (Goodbye, My Lady anyone?) so I actually knew what a Basenji was.

However, grin, I was totally unprepared for what a Basenji IS! Tammie Jean taught me many lessons about what it means to call yourself Basenji-owned. Ariel was euthanized at the age of four. He had gotten out and was gone for about a month. When I finally got him back (he was loose on an Air Force base), something had flipped in his head. He was not the same delicate gentleman. I was devasted. He attacked Tammie Jean on three occasions. He also literally ATE his own tail. His breeders and vets (we took him to two) were baffled. But the consensus was that he had to be euthanized. Broke my heart.

Tammie Jean lived to 12 years old (1990). She ruled the roost with an iron, but loving, baroo. If she liked you, she liked you. If she didn't? Well, she crated easily, thank goodness. Somewhere I have pictures of her. She was a very beautiful girl.

My next three dogs have been Standard Poodles, two were rescues. I am now open to another Basenji in my life. I have been skulking about on the BRAT page and volunteer on the list (although I haven't had the opportunity to help yet due to a weird work schedule.)

So, that's my long-windy "hey y'all" from Texas. How's by you? 🙂

• Welcome to the forum!

We love exchanging stories and just as important - pics… pics... and more pics! 😃

• @imbj:

Welcome to the forum!

We love exchanging stories and just as important - pics… pics... and more pics! 😃

Ha! I've just been in the Pics & Video thread. I'm loving it! Now to find a Basenji Meetup here in Austin and hope it's on a day I can go.

I'm in fear right now that my application for a BRAT dog will be accepted. I'm also in fear that it won't. I'm toast. I fell in love with the cutest little 'senji girl on their adoptables list!

• One of BEAR's (Basenji Education and Rescue in Ohio) early rescues was Ch D-Max Pixie Pride whose sire was Ch Alban's Merry Minstrel Bakari. Pixie was born in 1980. She was the oldest veteran shown at the National in Allentown and Portland, not sure if sweeps or regular. The judge in Portland was surprised that she could follow her hand movement. She passed away in May 2006. She came into rescue at 11 years old. Pixie's breeder lived in the Dallas, TX area. I believe the Bakari's lived in LA, perhaps Shreveport area.

Your Ariel and Pixie's sire are half-siblings on the dam's side who is Alban's Classy Cakewalk.

I just saw a picture of Chester on the web being in the Stud Dog Honor Roll.

http://www.basenji.org/BasenjiU/Owner/103History/Honor/SD/EIKahiraCastanoBakari.pdf

Jennifer

• @dcmclcm4:

One of BEAR's (Basenji Education and Rescue in Ohio) early rescues was Ch D-Max Pixie Pride whose sire was Ch Alban's Merry Minstrel Bakari. Pixie was born in 1980. She was the oldest veteran shown at the National in Allentown and Portland, not sure if sweeps or regular. The judge in Portland was surprised that she could follow her hand movement. She passed away in May 2006. She came into rescue at 11 years old. Pixie's breeder lived in the Dallas, TX area. I believe the Bakari's lived in LA, perhaps Shreveport area.

Your Ariel and Pixie's sire are half-siblings on the dam's side who is Alban's Classy Cakewalk.

I just saw a picture of Chester on the web being in the Stud Dog Honor Roll.

http://www.basenji.org/BasenjiU/Owner/103History/Honor/SD/EIKahiraCastanoBakari.pdf

Jennifer

Kay and Scott Henderson owned Bakari Kennels. They bred B's but were professional handlers. They lived just north of S'port in Green something. I can't for the life of me remember. Green Pines? I met them because of my Tammie Jean. I knew and LOVED Merry. I think he was the litter (1 or 2) before the Fairy crew (Ariel, Titania aka Tippy, etc.) He was a neat fella. How fabulous. Chester was an incredible dog.

Scott has passed but I emailed Kay a year? ago and she's still here. Moved to…Alabama?

That's Scott showing Chester in that picture. I did some shows with them. They were incredibly generous people.

• Welcome to the Forum. I hope you can soon have another Basenji. The history of your other two dogs is interesting.

• @Patty:

Welcome to the Forum. I hope you can soon have another Basenji. The history of your other two dogs is interesting.

Thank you, Patty. I know the time will be right when my Basenji finds me. 🙂 I just have to practice patience. And hey! I'll need plenty of that with a B of my own. Lol

• hi Arwen, welcome to the forum! Do you still have the standard poodles? What lovely, intelligent dogs they are. How do you think they would get along with a basenji?

• @Kipawa:

hi Arwen, welcome to the forum! Do you still have the standard poodles? What lovely, intelligent dogs they are. How do you think they would get along with a basenji?

I got my first standard after Tammie Jean passed. I had three and adored them all. SP's are very social but laid back animals. I would think that if they were properly introduced, they would be fine with a 'senji who wasn't intent on being the Only Dog. 🙂

• Glad you found us. I know BRAT has a lot of b's in Texas that need homes.

• I saw several there. 🙂 I do have a dog-savvy 10 yr old cat so that's part of my criteria. Flynn is a 14 lb Maine Coon mix who actually likes dogs. He's always lived with at least one until last Nov when I had to release Quigley. Now he's an only child and he's not as happy as you might think. He's never been the only pet so he misses pack.

• Hello Arwen,
    welcome to the forum and sharing the story of your two past Basenjis.
    Hope you find a Basenji soon, meanwhile how about a pic of Flynn ?

• Houston

Hi Arwen..so glad to "meet" you. I am done in Hockley, close to Houston area..and I am basenji less as well…miss those little buggers..

Your basenji stories made me smile..glad you found us.

• Thanks Shelly and Petra! I did round up two old photos and scan them in. I'm off to post them in the correct forum. 🙂 Petra, they do leave a huge hole in your life, don't they?

• Houston

Arwen, they sure do..I am actively looking to bring a puppy into our lives soon..I need basenji love again. 🙂

• Good luck! I know it must be hard to wait for the springtime when more puppies are available. Who are the breeders in our area? I used to know one in Dallas but no clue on their name. LOL

• Thank you Jennifer.

• I am not sure how much recent research you have done on Basenjis but one of the major items is health issues and testing. There is now a DNA test for Fanconi Syndrome. When you had your Bs, you may have heard of it as an early onset kidney disease. Reputable breeders also have their breeding Bs tested for thyroid(low thyroid & thyroiditis), CERF eye exams-also pups, hip x-rays for hip dysplasia and luxating patellas. I believe some also get the elbows x-rayed and a cardiac test. The OFA database which shows the results is at www.offa.org although except for the Fanconi test, it costs extra to have the results listed. If the breeder does not pay to have it listed, he/she will have a copy of the tests.

Please acquire your B from a reputable breeder.

Jennifer

• Jennifer, I will be getting a rescue B if at all possible. I have read up on the strip testing (looks like it is with diabetic test strips and done monthly.) I am thankful to have a forum like this with folks like you who will give such good advice.

I bred birds as well as one litter of Basenjis but am in no way an expert. I do, however, know how to read, research and request information with the best of them. 🙂 I'm heartened to see that there is current research on these health issues. Tammie Jean was a very healthy girl until the end.

She was doing a B 500 and hit an afghan on a chest. The afghan slid (it wasn't supposed to be there). She went through the stair rail down a steep staircase. The vet found nothing wrong, but within a month her neck was stiff. She was in a huge amount of pain. And would wake up out of a sound sleep and attack my other dog. He always slept butt to butt with her, but her injury made her unreliable. He was so sad when I made him sleep away from her. We think she had a vertebrae or pinched nerve. I lived in Lansing, MI at that time. The cost to just see what was going on was nearly 2k. Her pain became unmanageable (she would cry just walking) so I made the hard choice to release her.

Gods, she was an amazing dog though.

Suggested Topics