MO puppymiller being shut down, basenjis need help

• Here is the official link to donate to this cause:

http://basenjirescue.org/donate.htm

Thanks.

• Donations may be made by check:

Basenji Rescue & Transport
    7255 Jermyn Cove
    Germantown TN 38138-8780

Credit card - (you may click here to donate on-line with a credit card through GuideStar. It's quick easy and secure!)

http://partners.guidestar.org/controller/searchResults.gs?action_donateReport=1&partner=networkforgood&ein=75-2804588

If the link does not work for you, please go to the main BRAT page, click
    on Donate to BRAT, and click on the section that tells about GuideStar.

PayPal bratinc@gmail.com

• If you don't want to donate to BRAT that way, please post to me privately and I will give you the e-mail of Jennifer Hill who is the angel who trys to help any basenjis that are being auctioned by the puppymillers.

I do work for BRAT, but also for 2 other rescue groups, all basenji related.
    Anything you can do to help these dogs, foster homes, transport, etc, please
    let us know.

• If any of you would like to donate to BRAT or some of the persons involved in the bidding/fostering for these basenjis, please contact me privately.
    I will give you the donation tax deductable or the e-mail of the folks on the front line for this auction.

• Brat is paying for the dog to be bought and for the vetting.
    We hope to help as many as we can.
    So, please share this info with any basenji lovers you know.

• Please, please folks if you plan to attend this auction, do not say anything to anyone about rescue! Those folks typically have a strong dislike for rescuers and things can go downhill very fast, possibly even ruining any possibility of BRAT getting any of the dogs. Keep quiet, blend in, and try not to show your disgust. Let's all hope that the rescuers will be successful.

• Good point, thank you for bring it up.
    I am hoping that with the weather so back back there, it will cut down on attendance.

• @YodelDogs:

Please, please folks if you plan to attend this auction, do not say anything to anyone about rescue! Those folks typically have a strong dislike for rescuers and things can go downhill very fast, possibly even ruining any possibility of BRAT getting any of the dogs. Keep quiet, blend in, and try not to show your disgust. Let's all hope that the rescuers will be successful.

Don't worry. Any comments that I have (and I'm sure there will be comments) will be saved until we've paid, and are on our way out. As far as blending in goes, I can no problem. I'm pretty much "country".

We've made most of the trip already with a short 20min drive left for tomorrow morning.

It's hard to look forward to getting puppies when I know the conditions that I'm going to see all those dogs in.

BRAT still needs fosters, and $$.

Vegas

• I live in Illinois let me know if I can help!

• Ok, here is the count.
    I just spoke with Liz. They are loading up dogs now. We have 12 pups

(under 8 weeks) and 6 adult basenjis. There was a lot of competition in the

bidding, and some prices were very high.

• We got what b's out we could, now we need foster homes.

We need fosters for any of these basenjis that we have rescued.

If you are in a situation where you could foster a basenji at this time
    would you consider helping one of these basenjis?

If you can foster or transport, write to brat-admin@lists.basenjirescue.org

Thank you so much for your consideration of this request and prompt
    response!

• All the animals made it home okay. All have very good temperment, considering the circumstances. I really believe that they will all make fine pets.

We're tired now, but will post more later.

Vegas

• Here is the breakdown of what we rescued:

Reedgate's Blazing Jewel (Jewel) DOB 1/26/05 R/W She is being fostered
    either by Tonya or Finkles. Tonya, please let us know who was moved
    yesterday and who the fosters are for the ones we discussed moving.

Mar J's Honor Bound (Honor) DOB 5/5/03 R/W

My O My What A Lady (Lady) DOB 12/15/99 R/W Has 5 puppies: 2 Red males,
    2 Red females, 1 Tri female whelped 1/6/07

Perfection DOB 12/15/99 R/W

Isabelle DOB 12/15/99 R/W Has 7 puppies: 3 Red males, 1 Tri male, 2 Red
    females, 1 Tri female, whelped 1/18/07 I will remain the foster for this
    mom and litter.

Mar J's African Prince (Prince) DOB 12/25/02 R/W

Liz

• BRAT has now gotten all these dogs/puppies into foster care.
    They will be eval, vetted and temperment tested.
    What is needed now are funds for the above and new homes once this
    vetting, is all done.
    So, please, if you know someone who would like to give care to these dogs, who need good homes, please go to the BRAT site and fill out an on line adoption ap.
    You can even put down you wish to be considered for these puppies/dogs.
    Good homes are what will be the best thing for these dogs, now that they are safe.

• I am curious, this being such an old thread, if anyone is still out there or knows anything else about what happened with the dogs from this enterprise that apparently went "out of business"? I ask as my girl Pipet, a five year old Red & White and great distinction, was a puppy from the sire Mar J's Blazing Glory and Dam Mar J's Eilte Lady. Pip was born on December 17th 2006 and I bought her at 14 weeks old from a very well known and respected dog store in the Detroit Metro area. The store had been there for a long time and all the folks I knew who had dogs from them raved about every aspect of the place, especially the dogs. My interest here is not only to know if Pipets parents are still alive, and maybe where they are….but also that I had, at great length, discussed in detail my need to be assured that the puppy's were not coming from any type of "mill" operation, especially those we here such horrific tales of.

Apparently, this place went out of business legitimately as opposed to be cited and shut down for some heinous activity against the dogs. From the info I gathered they had a good reputation for healthy strong dogs....and certainly Pipet is the picture of health and amazing Basenji qualities that we all love and value so highly in them. I was just stunned to find this when I discovered her lineage papers and ran a Google check on the breeder, that got me nowhere, but entering the Sire's name got me all sorts of info leading me to this story.

If anyone can tell me anything about the dispositions of this family, Pipets' family.....I would really value that. And for anyone who recognizes my name from earlier posts, Diesel, my adopted/saved Brindle one year old from Eau Claire Wisconsin, is just so great I cannot take the time to him justice herein....but rest assured, after almost 8 weeks, he is so happily settled in, loves the routine, is training brilliantly and is madly in love with his elder Auntie Pipet. The 3 AM round of "I.m Gonna Eat Your Head" has just gotten underway. Gotta love living the life of a Basenji!!

• The sire of Pipet would be 10, born in 2002, the Dam would be 8, so just judging by the life span of a Basenji, they should be alive. That said, there is NO responsible breeder that would EVER put a puppy/litter in a pet store. So whoever the breeder is, they are either a Backyard Breeder of a puppy mill. And not sure we ever heard what happened to these dogs

The pedigree on Pipet is clearly all BYB or Puppymill. (found on www.pedigrees.zandebasenjis.com)

Hopefully you have had Pipet DNA for Fanconi…..

• Hi, Dave. It's definitely a puppy mill. They did end up going back into business.

The conditions were not great–They were horrible. The dogs all stood on wire crates all day. Their feces would fall under the crates into a trough, and a steady stream of water would wash it out. There was a water system above the crates that provided water much like a Hamster water bottle, except connected to plumbing. They had gravity feeders to feed them. The system was automated, and the only time the animals were touched, is when they were bred.

There were dogs kept outside that had never had a brush through their thick hair, and were one solid "mat" of fur. There was a italian greyhound welping alone in one kennell, and a golden retriever dying alone in the next kennel.

None of the dogs were aclimated to humans. None of the dogs ever got to run. The most excersize they got was circling on their wire floor. There feet were badly "splayed", and looked deformed from having to stand on wires all of their lives.

Reedgate was Doggy-hell-on-earth.

• @tanza:

That said, there is NO responsible breeder that would EVER put a puppy/litter in a pet store. So whoever the breeder is, they are either a Backyard Breeder of a puppy mill. And not sure we ever heard what happened to these dogs

Breeders who put their heart and soul (not to mention time and money) into breeding, HAVE to know where their puppies go. They would not trust a middle man to place a puppy they bred. They want to make sure the new owner knows what owning a basenji involves and can provide a good home for the puppy.

I have a friend who wanted a puppy from a petstore. She told me the owner assured her the puppies in the store NEVER came from puppy mill, all were bred in a local loving home, yadda, yadda, yadda. She got the puppy. I told her "You had money in your pocket and the owner saw you coming. If you wanted a car, would you trust the used car sales man who told you 'This car was owned by a little old lady who only drove it to the grocery store and church on Sunday' ? It's the same thing." Sadly she's had some temperament problems with her puppy, but the pup has come a long way and has a really good home.

• I believe the grandmother on the dam's side, My O My What A Lady is still alive as she was rescued by BRAT along with her pups. I am certain she is the one I helped with transporting as she was going to VA I believe. I would contact Liz Newton of BRAT for the information. Only the ones listed above were rescued as the others were bought by commercial breeders. The full list of the Bs at the auction is listed on page 1.

I actually met Martha Reed at another dog auction in I believe either 2001 or 2002 and she was interested in getting into the Africans-meaning brindles. I did explain some things to her about that! There was a breeder that was selling their Bs at that auction whose pedigrees went back to Reed and the kennel name was Van Go. There was also another auction where the Tankersley were selling their Bs. I have probably seen some of the dogs in Pip's pedigree or at least close relatives.

What I remember about the health issues of the Reed dogs is that some of them were aggressive-probably low thyroid and luxating patellas. I do not recall any mention of eye problems. I knew someone who had a Reed bred dog that was also bought at a pet store.

Pip is not in the Basenji Pedigree Database, not even the breeding, so none of the litter is listed. It is important that these dogs are in the database. Please e-mail Sally Wallis at sally.wallis@btopenworld.com and give her the information. Is Pip AKC registered or another registry?

Jennifer

• Just cringe every time I see Reed dogs, Reed bred here, etc…. I know people who know us and our dogs know there is NO connection but people who don't know us may think there is!

We are Reeds, but our dogs are the Illusion pack!!

Terry (and Bob) Reed

Suggested Topics