MO puppymiller being shut down, basenjis need help

• Basenji auction this weekend in Missouri, foster homes needed.

We need foster homes, some short term, some longer for a group of basenjis and puppies from this dog auction which is happening this coming weekend.

It is in Missouri and that is where the first need for foster homes is, after the dogs are out and safe, we will work to move them to other areas where folks will take them on long term.
    BRAT will pay for vetting for any basenjis that are fostered.

Please, if you have a spot and can help, contact via Private Message. For folks who can't foster or wish to help, we need funds for this as well.

DONATIONS

Donations may be made by check:

Basenji Rescue & Transport
    7255 Jermyn Cove
    Germantown TN 38138-8780

Credit card - (you may click here to donate on-line with a credit card through GuideStar. It's quick easy and secure!)

http://partners.guidestar.org/controller/searchResults.gs?action_donateReport=1&partner=net workforgood&ein=75-2804588

If the link does not work for you, please go to the main BRAT page, click
    on Donate to BRAT, and click on the section that tells about GuideStar.

PayPal bratinc@gmail.com

Official BRAT Donate Page: http://basenjirescue.org/donate.htm

MO AUCTION UPDATED LIST

The list was updated today and includes the pups whelped since the first
    list was sent. I was assured by the people at the auction house that all
    pups younger than 8 weeks will be sold with their moms. I have been
    unsuccessful at getting an answer from the Reeds in regards to how many
    pups will be available.

By my calculations pups born after 12/26 should be with their moms and
    total 26 that are specifically listed, plus 2 litters whelped with
    number of pups not specified.

Updated list is below.
    NO.# Sex Name Reg.# D.O.B. Seller Microchip

*98. FE Reedgate's Glory Bound HP16130101 01/26/05 #1 Reed 075587274
    Comments: AKC, APRI & UABR registered, LLW 12/28/06 - 7 pups, Color: Red &
    White

99. FE Reedgate's Blazing Jewel HP16130103 01/26/05 #1 Reed 075790375
    Comments: AKC & APRI registered, LLW 12/16/06 - 4 pups, Color: Red & White

100. FE Mar J's My Elite Lady HP08545606 01/09/04 #1 Reed 017344546
    Comments: AKC, APRI & UABR registered, LLW 12/17/06 - 7 pups, Color: Red &
    White

101. FE Mar J's Sheza Imperial Star HP08441903 12/31/03 #1 Reed
    Comments: AKC, APRI & UABR registered, LLW - 7 pups, Color: Red & White

102. FE WL's Allison HP08328401 12/15/03 #1 Reed 102117867
    Comments: AKC & APRI registered, LLW 12/29/06 - 4 pups, Color: Black, Tan
    & White & 075
    820*632

*103. FE WL's Tulip HP08051105 11/29/03 #1 Reed 101850337
    Comments: AKC & APRI registered, LLW 12/29/06 - 5 pups, Color: Brindle &
    White & 4537003137

104. FE Mar J's Honor Bound HP06376403 08/05/03 #1 Reed 068835522
    Comments: AKC, APRI & UABR registered, LLW 12/21/06 - 3 pups, Color: Red &
    White

105. FE Mar J's Nifty ISA HP06376404 08/05/03 #1 Reed 069034260
    Comments: AKC, APRI & UABR registered, LLW 12/16/06 - 7 pups, Color: Red &
    White

*106. FE Mar J's Skippa Te HP06376405 08/05/03 #1 Reed 069584623
    Comments: AKC, APRI & UABR registered, LLW 1/1/07, Color: Red & White

107. FE Mar J's Falisha HP02325001 08/28/02 #1 Reed 051061850
    Comments: AKC, APRI & UABR registered, LLW - 7 pups, Color: Red & White

*108. FE My O My What A Lady HM875808/03 12/15/99 #1 Reed 033319029
    Comments: AKC, APRI & UABR registered, LLW 1/6/07 - 5 pups,can be AKC,
    Color: Red & White

109. FE Perfection HM875808/04 12/15/99 #1 Reed 033299585
    Comments: AKC, APRI & UABR registered, LLW 6/3/06, Color: Red & White

*110. FE Isabelle HM875808/05 12/15/99 #1 Reed 033371768
    Comments: AKC, APRI, UABR registered, LLW - 1/18/07, pups can be AKC,
    Color: Red & White

*111. FE HiStyle HM875808/06 12/15/99 #1 Reed 033087274
    Comments: AKC, APRI & UABR registered, LLW - 12/26/06 - 4 pups, Color: Red
    & White

112. MA Reedgate's Legend of The Lost Bark HP19828301 01/01/06 #1 Reed
    Comments: AKC & APRI registered, Proven Male, Color: Red & White

113. MA Mar J's African Prince HP05619701 12/25/02 #1 Reed 101844559
    Comments:AKC, APRI & UABR registered, Proven Male, Color: Red & White
    & 451D656916

114. MA Mar J's Blazing Glory HN01220301 12/20/02 #1 Reed 022119065
    Comments: AKC, APRI & UABR registered, Proven Male, Color: Red & White
    & 4459241B36

115. MA Van Go's Affinity HM940346/04 01/14/01 #1 Reed 044529769

116. MA The Elite HM865705/01 12/07/99 #1 Reed 033333325

• While I don't approve obviously of PM's… its this the place that is going out of business.... it was not shut down... that does make some difference in the dogs that are there, not much... but some

• Yes, this is the difference re BRAT stepping in.
    You can't support Puppymillers or pet shops, but when they are going out of business, you surely don't want those poor dogs to end up with OTHER puppymillers/pet shops.
    So, if you know anyone who can open their home to these poor dogs, please share this info.
    Its just a good thing to do.

• Maybe a program could be set up for people who are willing to sponsor a dog, but can't foster, or are too far away to foster? Any chance of that?

• "proven male" proven fanconi producer 😞
    this makes me so sick
    as far as money goes to help brat's effort, we are just requesting you donate via the website. maybe you have some extra tax return money?
    also, we will need help transporting dogs to new foster homes. this is a very great way to help brat if you cant foster.

• "proven male" proven fanconi producer

Is that what that means? My gosh! There are FIVE of them?
    What is wrong with people? Did I count 56 puppies?
    It really is sickening.

• @JazzysMom:

"proven male" proven fanconi producer

Is that what that means? My gosh! There are FIVE of them?
    What is wrong with people? Did I count 56 puppies?
    It really is sickening.

No, proven male just means he has had viable offspring. I am not sure what Ambered means about proven fanconi producer? Certainaly possible…as puppy mills don't do any matching, testing or follow up as far as health concerns. The person that is selling this dog probably doesn't know or care about Fanconi syndrome.

• @Ambered:

", we are just requesting you donate via the website. maybe you have some extra tax return money?
    also, we will need help transporting dogs to new foster homes. this is a very great way to help brat if you cant foster.

"we" meaning BRAT? and the website being the BRAT website? Some folks prefer to donate to a specific project, knowing the money will be used there, rather than just to a general fund…that is the only reason I suggested it.

I was thinking that if there weren't enough foster homes, some dogs may need to be boarded, and folks could "sponsor" a dog rather than foster it in their home...but maybe that is just too complicated.

Anyhow, good suggestion about transport as well.

• No, proven male just means he has had viable offspring. I am not sure >>what Ambered means about proven fanconi producer?

Okay, Whew. That's what I thought when I first read the original post.

• sorry, i didnt mean to cause confusion! andrea is right. i didnt really mean it about the fanconi!
    we-brat, i am a brat member and have offered to foster for this.
    website-brat website

• I'm travelling there with my Mom, Liz, this evening.

I counted the number of all dogs they have. They have 484 dogs listed. The females have a total of 617 pups that are under 8 weeks old for a total of 1101 pets that need homes.

I couldn't be more sick!

• @Vegas:

I'm travelling there with my Mom, Liz, this evening.

I counted the number of all dogs they have. They have 484 dogs listed. The females have a total of 617 pups that are under 8 weeks old for a total of 1101 pets that need homes.

I couldn't be more sick!

That's not all basenjis, right?

This situation is sad….I guess the good news (if there is any)is that the mill isn't closing down because of violations...but because the woman is getting out of business. The most disturbing part is on the flyer where there are commendations from local vets stating how much the pet industry will miss this woman....disgusting....

I will try to find the link to the original flyer.....I found it, if anyone wants to see it, please contact me privately. Probably not allowed to post it here...we don't want to give any more free advertising to this woman.

• @Quercus:

The most disturbing part is on the flyer where there are commendations from local vets stating how much the pet industry will miss this woman….disgusting....

Yeah - the pet industry includes the "local vets"! It is very sad that this is even a legal business! :mad:

• @Quercus:

That's not all basenjis, right?

This situation is sad….I guess the good news (if there is any)is that the mill isn't closing down because of violations...but because the woman is getting out of business. The most disturbing part is on the flyer where there are commendations from local vets stating how much the pet industry will miss this woman....disgusting....

I will try to find the link to the original flyer.....I found it, if anyone wants to see it, please contact me privately. Probably not allowed to post it here...we don't want to give any more free advertising to this woman.

I don't care about the "free advertising" myself. Hopefully the buyers will be committed people that want the dogs to have good homes, and people will get these dogs to discourage any more breeders from buying basenji breeding stock.

The trash that we're going to be dealing with is disgusting. We'll be with other puppy millers, and probably even some people that will sell them to labs.

What a friggin' mess!

• Just to be clear…the free advertising I was wanting to avoid, was to people who wouldn't care for the dogs responsibly. There are occasionally people on here looking to breed their dog or bitch for whatever reason, and those are the folks we don't want to get their hands on these dogs.

• @Quercus:

Just to be clear…the free advertising I was wanting to avoid, was to people who wouldn't care for the dogs responsibly. There are occasionally people on here looking to breed their dog or bitch for whatever reason, and those are the folks we don't want to get their hands on these dogs.

I see what you mean now, Andrea. I bet the waterbottles really come out when those people stop by.

• Vegas, can you clarify? Are individuals paying to spring these dogs? And if so, who is coordinating so that money can be sent. It is now my understanding that BRAT is not paying to purchase (understandably)…but if I wanted to sponsor a dog being boarded or something like that...who would I contact? You can let me know privately, if need be. Thanks 🙂

• @Quercus:

Vegas, can you clarify? Are individuals paying to spring these dogs? And if so, who is coordinating so that money can be sent. It is now my understanding that BRAT is not paying to purchase (understandably)…but if I wanted to sponsor a dog being boarded or something like that...who would I contact? You can let me know privately, if need be. Thanks 🙂

My mom is a board member of BRAT, and is helping coordinate the rescue. As you can imagine, the feelings of rescuing from a puppymill are very very mixed. I understand both sides. If you want to contact her to offer any help, or AHEM fostering, she would love to hear from you.

Her name is Liz Newton. Contact me via PM for her emai. Now, I've got to go because we're leaving for MO in about an hour.

Here is the email that she sent out to the other members:

BRAT is opposed to supporting the owners and operators of puppy mills by
    purchasing their dogs at an auction. However, it is believed that if we do
    not save some of the dogs from this huge auction in MO, we will be rescuing
    more and more of their off-spring in the next few years. Therefore, on a
    very limited and organized basis, we have permission to save some of these
    dogs.

If any individual is willing to foster one or more of these dogs UNTIL
    PLACEMENT, I will coordinate it. Please, do not expect to have it moved to
    another foster home if the going gets rough. Please, if you make the
    committment to foster one, commit also to the training and rehabilitation it
    will likely need.

BRAT is willing to give financial support to this effort!

I will be coordinating the group effort if several people are willing to
    help. We will need a designated BIDDER so one BRAT person is not bidding
    against another. We will potentially need people in MO who are willing to
    assist with transport to other areas. We will need people who can be there
    early and do some evaluation of which dogs we should bid on.

This auction has advertised 21 adult basenjis, many of the are females, some
    with pups born in December and January. I was told today by the auction
    house people that pups younger than 8 weeks will only be sold with their
    mother. I counted and, unless the Reeds have done "pre-sales", that amounts to 11 pups whelped in December and one litter that was due in January.

There are likely not as many pups as are listed on the auction bill as
    "numbers whelped", which is 70! It is projected that some of these dogs
    will sell for as little as $25 - $50, but we must be organized or we will
    push the prices higher.

Liz Newton, IL
    West Regional Coordinator

I plan on taking a lot of pictures just so others can see what a "professional puppymill" looks like.

All help is appreciated. Have a good weekend.

Ben

• Can I forward this to another list?

• yes. please do.

Ben

Suggested Topics