• @smharr4:

I think I'll stop correcting them next time, I'm getting tired of saying the same thing. Maybe I'll just put a card around their necks saying "we are not shiba inus"

:rolleyes:

I keep telling my hubby I am going to have a shirt made for them. I am a Basenji. No, I don't bark. Never seen one before Well, now you have!

• It's amazing what people assume (or don't notice) - when I passed a neighbour while I was walking two red/white and one tri-colour Basenji she asked me if they were the same ones I'd walked by her about an hour ago. The earlier ones were three red/whites!

• @GenJMar:

I keep telling my hubby I am going to have a shirt made for them. I am a Basenji. No, I don't bark. Never seen one before Well, now you have!

A Basenji jacket for the dogs would be awesome - plus it would be guaranteed to fit correctly, I'm having difficulty finding a jacket that fits her across the chest 😞

• @smharr4:

A Basenji jacket for the dogs would be awesome - plus it would be guaranteed to fit correctly, I'm having difficulty finding a jacket that fits her across the chest 😞

Wish I could sew I would make my own because I can never find one that fits the way I would like it to.

With zoe (my red/white) I had alot of questions, most guessed chi which I hated. One even asked right off what kind of mix she was, assuming since he didnt recognize the breed she must be mix. Now most are used to zoe in my town but find my tri boy every bit as interesting. When other people see them the most used adjectives is stunning.

• @Forever:

Wish I could sew I would make my own because I can never find one that fits the way I would like it to.

There was a ZenTek booth at the Evergreen Basenji show last month, and I took a look at some of the stuff they had. They sell a variety of coats with different length backs for different types of dogs. Their 'Straight back' coat for small dogs is modeled by a Basenji and it looks like it's a good fit. I did pick up one of their kennel blankets, and the PCM seems to work as advertised, so I'm tempted.

@Forever:

With zoe (my red/white) I had alot of questions, most guessed chi which I hated. One even asked right off what kind of mix she was, assuming since he didnt recognize the breed she must be mix. Now most are used to zoe in my town but find my tri boy every bit as interesting. When other people see them the most used adjectives is stunning.

This happens to us too - Roxy is red/white, short and stocky, while Rocky is long-legged, thin and tri, so I often get people pointing at one dog, and asking 'What breed is that one?' even though they're both 100% Basenjis.

• @smharr4:

There was a ZenTek booth at the Evergreen Basenji show last month, and I took a look at some of the stuff they had. They sell a variety of coats with different length backs for different types of dogs. Their 'Straight back' coat for small dogs is modeled by a Basenji and it looks like it's a good fit. I did pick up one of their kennel blankets, and the PCM seems to work as advertised, so I'm tempted..

I will have to look into that. Zoey is such a little B. All legs deep chest and tiny waist even had a few say she looks like a fawn. She has a very fine coat so it doesn't keep her warm in the winter the poor girl is always cold. So would like to find something with maximum coverage.

• I do get this a lot too. I live in a small town (about 3500 people) and occasionally people do stop me and recognize a basenji. Most of them once had one or knew someone who had one. Apparantly there was a breeder in my area who passed away years ago, so some had gotten B's from her in the past.

• At my dog park everybody thinks he is a rat terrier. My Vet also commented that it was the nicest and most well behaved basenji she's ever met. I asked what she meant and she said that all the basenjis that she has seen have tried to bite her and her staff. I hope that mine can set a good example and she can like basenjis 🙂

• My Vet also commented that it was the nicest and most well behaved basenji she's ever met. I asked what she meant and she said that all the basenjis that she has seen have tried to bite her and her staff.

My vet has said something along the same lines. She made the comment that she was impressed with how my guys let her handle them with ease. My dog trainer once dropped a treat while demostrating with Cody something and she bent down and picked it up. She told me she would have never done that with another basenji b/c they would have taken her hand off to get to the treat. Cody was nicely rewarded for staying in his sit position.

• @Forever:

I actually can sew, but have bought the last few coats for my guys from here:

http://www.deswildrags.com/customdogcoats.html

For the price, I'll let De do the work <gg>. She's always been very receptive to ideas, etc. So I'm sure if you had some ideas or input, she'd be happy to work with you. In fact, she's working on a couple of "house" coats for the boyz right now. I had some fabric I liked and she was happy to use that fabric.

Just tell her the Basenji Princess from Colorado sent you. She'll know.</gg>

• @smharr4:

This happens to us too - Roxy is red/white, short and stocky, while Rocky is long-legged, thin and tri, so I often get people pointing at one dog, and asking 'What breed is that one?' even though they're both 100% Basenjis.

LOL….I have to admit, when Fred and I agreed to add a 2nd Basenji and decided to adopt from BRAT, while we didn't "specify" a color and we WOULD have adopted a suitable dog of ANY color.....we definitely had our fingers crossed for another tricolor!!

Reason being, it always seemed the FEW people who actually knew what a Basenji was, would always look at Jibini and say, "But I thought Basenjis were a reddish color? He doesn't look like the Basenjis I've always seen." And a lot of folks always seemed skeptical no matter how much I insisted Basenjis could come in any of 4 standard coat colors, and Jibini was indeed purebred, registered, out of champion parents, his sire won Breed at Westminster for cripes' sake. LOL, but to some people if it don't look like the dog THEY saw on TV ONE TIME, it ain't the same breed, I guess.

I admit, I wanted another tricolor dog to help prove my point when encountering those kinds of people. Tana is a 'trindle' but she bears enough resemblance to Jibini that people do seem to "accept" that Basenjis come in other colors besides R/W.

Of course she's also TINY- 15 lbs and several inches shorter than Jibini. Despite being nearly 5, she does kind of have a "puppy" look about her with a small muzzle and big eyes, so now I get a LOT of people who instantly assume she is "his puppy"....LOL. Even my vet initially thought she was a puppy, thankfully she didn't think it was the offspring of my 10 yr old neutered male though 😉

Driving a truck we definitely encountered our share of the "a WHAT??" people, most who couldn't even pronounce Basenji without us slowly sounding out the word & drawing a picture in crayon, LOL. I used to joke that if I had a dollar for every awe-filled breed question or "A WHAT?" response I got about my dogs, I'd be able to retire from trucking. (I retired from trucking anyway, LOL)

Though one very memorable experience of an unexpected encounter with a Basenji lover, sticks out in my mind. I was picking up some kind of food-grade mineral from a mining plant in north Florida. Loud dusty, dirty kind of place. While being loaded I took Jibini over to a grassy area on a long leash and let him explore. We'd been there about 5 minutes when a nicely dressed, managerial-looking lady comes bursting out of the front door of the company's main office. She's got on a dress suit with pantyhose and high-heels, making a beeline for us through the dusty gravel parking lot.

I thought for SURE she was coming to yell at me....Jibini had just pooped in the grass near a picnic table and I HAD picked it up, still had the poo bag with me, but I was afraid I'd let him do it in a lunch area, or missed out on some no-dogs rule or something.

I was wrong....she called out, "That is a GORGEOUS Basenji!" as she approached. My jaw hit the floor. This lady actually got down on one knee, in the dusty grass, in pantyhose, to pet my dog. Didn't even want me to correct him for putting his paws up on her! She let him get dusty pawprints on her black skirt, while she completely soaked up her fill of Basenji lovin's. Apparently she'd grown up with the breed; a family member had bred them and her "heart dog" was a Basenji, had passed away when she was in high school. And she knew she didn't have time for a Basenji as an adult....but she almost got teary-eyed while fawning over Jibini. Probably one of the coolest Basenji-lover encounters I've ever had 🙂

• My dog trainer laughed when I told him I got a Basenji, he said " you went from a lab who is easy to train and wants to please, to a Basenji who wants to do their own thing." He was right, Sophie my lab is very obedient and Kahirah… not so much! I will add that after 8 weeks of training my trainer said that Kahirah was a great dog even if she didnt listen very well.
    As others have posted my vet was also surprised how friendly she is because according to her lots of Basenjis are nippy

Suggested Topics