• Hello everyone!

I am interested in purchasing a puppy or adopting a young red/white female as a companion for a 7-month-old male basenji that is currently part of our family. Our baby "Atom" spends most of his time inside the house, with hour-long walks every morning and evening. Most of his socialization comes through our school-age cousins and several friends with whose dogs we schedule play dates. He has lots of energy and enjoys playing with other dogs who are willing to chase him around.

We are not planning to show our basenjis, so the little girl would be a cherished pet and we would not mind any 'imperfections' that make her special. Our family resides in Orlando, Florida; although a local breeder would be preferred, we are willing to have her shipped if needed.

November or December would be the ideal time for a new female puppy or young female to join our family.

Thank you for your time… I look forward to hearing from you.

AUCarbonell

• BRAT has a lot of b's on the east coast that need homes.
    www.basenjirescue.org
    check them out.

• Thanks for replying! Many of the basenjis on the site are a little older than I am looking for, but I will keep checking back. You are doing good work, and it sounds like many more will be helped by your efforts in the future.

I will also keep checking for replies on this thread, so I appreciate any feedback from breeders that are expecting litters with red and white pups.

All the best,

Abigail
    "Atom's Auntie"

• abigail, some b's that are in your area, are not yet posted on the BRAT Site.
    They maybe recovering from surgery, or getting eval'ed in foster homes.
    I know there are quality breeders out there..but if your open to a rescue dog, its good
    to put an ap in and contact the BRAT person in your area.
    Just my 2c.

• You can find breeders that might be close to you with a bit of traveling (responsible breeders) and you can find them at www.basenji.org

• BRAT: Thanks for the information and advice. I didn't realize there were more rescues than are posted on the site. Accordingly, I have submitted the application online. Which local BRAT coordinator can I contact?

Breeder: Thanks for the link. I have now e-mailed every Georgia and Florida breeder on that list, asking about the possibilities for a R/W puppy or young female. Might there be other responsible, reputable breeders in GA or FL that are not on the list? Sherwood Basenjis in south Georgia is a name I have heard… are they recommended?

If anyone has another lead that I can pursue, I'd appreciate more replies. It is obvious that I have come to the right place to find rescuers and caring breeders 🙂

• @aucarbonell:

BRAT: Thanks for the information and advice. I didn't realize there were more rescues than are posted on the site. Accordingly, I have submitted the application online. Which local BRAT coordinator can I contact?

Breeder: Thanks for the link. I have now e-mailed every Georgia and Florida breeder on that list, asking about the possibilities for a R/W puppy or young female. Might there be other responsible, reputable breeders in GA or FL that are not on the list? Sherwood Basenjis in south Georgia is a name I have heard… are they recommended?

If anyone has another lead that I can pursue, I'd appreciate more replies. It is obvious that I have come to the right place to find rescuers and caring breeders 🙂

Sherwood is recommended!! And she, Robyn is on this Forum…...

• Thanks for the replies.

I have now spoken with the BRAT screener, who given me information about the local BRAT contact. She informed me that rescue basenjis can be younger, about 9 to 18 months old. Is this typical?

As for the breeders, Sherwood has a R/W female puppy that I might pursue if she is still available later this year. Also, I understand that basenjis often have litters in winter. I'll be keeping an eye out when new babies become available later this year.

What is everyone's advice about the age of a second basenji? Is it usually better to have an older female, or a younger one? Atom's temperament is, above all things, playful. He is not aggressive or dominant, but loves a good chase game with other dogs. Any tips would be appreciated.

• I don't think you should be as concerned with age and with how they get along. Basenjis are often still very playful and full of energy at 4, 5, 6 years old. L'Ox, 8 months old, and his mom, 5 years old, race around the house and wrestle and play every evening like they are both pups. They are a wonderful match for each other. Sophie, 3 years old, also is very playful and will play and play but she and L'Ox have a sibling rivalry that makes them not as good a match.

• Brat in FL has a lot of adults that are VERY social (they had to be, living with 40 other adults in a 5 acre enclosure before rescue). Please consider a young adult female.

• You have all been very helpful… I can't thank you enough for the support and advice! From all the feedback I have been receiving, it seems wisest for me to adopt a young adult basenji 🙂

My only concern about age is that I would like 7-month-old Atom and my new little girl to enjoy each other's company for many years. Even if he did get along with an older female, I would rather they be at approximately the same developmental level.

I have now applied with BRAT and am in contact with my local BRAT contact here in Orlando. Debra, you say that there are many well-socialized basenjis in Florida. If you mean the Wimauma pack, they are located a convenient 2 hours' drive from me. Once I finish the approval process with BRAT, I will probably look into a sweet young female from there. Are most of them available now? I noticed that only a couple are posted on the BRAT site.

• Pam will not release any dog til they are totally ready. She has made such incredibly wonderful puppies and adults. Contact her at:
    flbasenji@earthlink.net
    Tell her I sent you. 🙂

• I have a little female available if you are intersted in more information id love to talk to you about her. she is 8 months old. Feel free to email me and we can get to know each other. She might be just what your looking for 🙂 podhradsky@live.com or 605 999 8149
    Hope I can help, even if she isnt what you are looking for

Suggested Topics