10 week old female with swollen tee tee

• My puppy has a swollen tee tee. The vet gave her a small dose of antibotics but did n0t help. I was told not to worry about it because the uranalisis was negative and there is no discharge. Anyone else had this issue?

• I would go to another Vet….. and many times urine cultures come back negative but they still have an UTI... or it could be vaginitis

• I would guess puppy vaginitis…..but it never hurts to get a second opinon if you don't like what the first vet is saying...

• hi. silly question - but could you tell me what a tee tee is please?

• UTI or vaginitis should not create/cause a swollen vulva.

Is she licking excessively, suckling on it or scooting on it as though it were itchy and thereby irritating it and creating swelling?

If not, I personally do not think a swollen vulva is normal in any animal that is not an in season female. I would take a urine sample in to the vet and have her checked out.

Buy Hot Box

• Went to the vet this morning and they said she had VAGINITS. They recommended giving it some time to work out. If it does not get better we will have her spayed. We had planned on that anyways so I guess this was good news.

• Just curious, had you discussed her condition with the breeder?

• The ONLY time my old girl De La had this was when she was bitten by a spider… twice!!
    I actually took her to the vet and she was given a cortisone shot and it fixed it all 🙂

• Well I did a little digging at work and was surprised at what I found on the VIN (Veterinary Info Network).

Swollen vulvas seems to be on the rise (as are engorged male mammary glands and small penises) and is confounding veterinarians.

They are linking it to topical hormone replacement treatments (lotions, gels, sprays) that people are using in which animals are either coming into contact with via petting, hugging, etc or they are licking off of their owners.

There is concern that children could also be affected through skin contact.

Just another idea.

SUZUKI GSX-R1100

• @sinbaje:

Well I did a little digging at work and was surprised at what I found on the VIN (Veterinary Info Network).

Swollen vulvas seems to be on the rise (as are engorged male mammary glands and small penises) and is confounding veterinarians.

They are linking it to topical hormone replacement treatments (lotions, gels, sprays) that people are using in which animals are either coming into contact with via petting, hugging, etc or they are licking off of their owners.

There is concern that children could also be affected through skin contact.

Just another idea.

Interesting. Linda, do you have any idea if this is related to the recent study about (human) girls hitting puberty at earlier ages? Seems like maybe they would be related.

• This is very interesting, Sinbaje. I have also read that because of the way water is recycled in reservoirs (in the UK, I don't know of other countries) such residues are causing hormonal problems in humans!

Suggested Topics