• Hi All,

Two basenjis were found loose in Cuba City, WI and picked up by a concerned person. BCOSW has secured the dogs and taken them to the vet. They are estimated at 7-9 yrs, heartworm negative, not microchipped as far as we know right now. We're looking to find the owners before pursuing other options. Hopefully they weren't dumped and are just lost. They have nice temperaments and are rather large, about 40 lbs. Pictures can be found at the BCOSW facebook page at the link below. Please spread the word.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=249256&id=229601021286

If you have any information, please contact Nicole Freedman, who is the BCOSW rescue contact. You can find her email address at www.bcosw.org by going to the Contacts link on the left-hand side of the webpage.

Thanks,
    Clay

• First Basenji's

Wow, hope they are able to be reunited with a loving owner, or good homes found for them!

Just wondering, do they appear to be pregnant? Or is that just because of their weight? I do not know enough about how pregnant or recently-pregnant dogs look, so I'm looking around the "room" at the experts here.

• The vet was unable to tell if they were spayed or not. Several people have commented that they think one of them may have been bred from the pictures, but who knows.

• @Nemo:

The vet was unable to tell if they were spayed or not. Several people have commented that they think one of them may have been bred from the pictures, but who knows.

They both look like they have been bred at one time, at least to me….

• What sweet looking 'chubbettes'. I would hate to think that they have been cast aside by a BYB, or anyone for that matter.

• There is/was a breeder in Wyoming, IA which is SW of Cuba City and SW of Dubuque, IA. Here is a news story about him in March 2010:

http://gazetteonline.com/top-story/2010/03/15/photos-investigators-search-dog-breeding-kennel-for-signs-of-neglect

He also used to have Bs available for rescue on Petfinder. I would have to look through my e-mails for the information as someone tipped me off to this information. It was Iowa Basenji Rescue LLC. His kennel name is Thunder Ridge and was/is USDA licensed. He is also a convicted sex offender.

• First Basenji's

Whether or not Thunder Ridge was involved with these two stray Basenjis, this was an interesting (and infuriating!) link. They've got shibas, too, along with so many other breeds. Apparently several of the confiscated dogs were returned to Powell about a week after the news report you posted. I can't find what the latest status is, but they're still going strong.

Reader comments are so frustrating, justifying his breeding practices just because they were able to buy "healthy" puppies from him. How does ANYONE produce "well-socialized" puppies with a hundred dogs on the property?

I also hate how the news was presenting this as a case of "animal rescue biddybodies" vs. "unjustly accused farm folk".

Grrrrr…

• I've uploaded another picture of the girls at their foster moms. Here is an update below:

"These girls, now "Ruby" and "Pearl", are at my place for the moment. Pearl may well come from show breeding. She's a very nice specimen of the breed, dewclaws removed. Ruby is a lessor specimen of the breed, still has her dewclaws. Both are sweet and very manageable. Both are very good on-lead (probably not so good the first day because they didn't want to go with strangers). Ruby is 23 pounds and a bit chubby. Pearl is 31 pounds, and, to be brutally honest, fat. Both are well within the normal basenji size range. No microchips or tatoos or tags. :<"

The girls can only stay at the foster home until the end of August, so we are hoping to find a home for them by then or at least other foster arrangements.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=249256&id=229601021286

• A contact page has been put on the BCOSW website at the following link.

http://www.bcosw.org/rescueupdate.htm

• Please also let us know if you recognize Pearl (the tri) or know any breeders that may have placed a dog in that area about 6-9 years ago.
    Pearl is actually a very nice looking basenji, and could very well have come from a show breeding.

Thanks,

Nicole

• Do you think these ladies are spayed? I wonder if they came from the Thunder Ridge Kennel situation… I read an article that said,

"Five dogs are still missing and nobody will admit
    that they have the dogs. All except two dogs that were
    taken are microchipped so they can be located
    . Powell
    was advised to wait until Wednesday and then report
    that these dogs have been stolen."

• @Patty:

Do you think these ladies are spayed? I wonder if they came from the Thunder Ridge Kennel situation… I read an article that said,

"Five dogs are still missing and nobody will admit
    that they have the dogs. All except two dogs that were
    taken are microchipped so they can be located
    . Powell
    was advised to wait until Wednesday and then report
    that these dogs have been stolen."

The vet was unable to determine if they were spayed or not.

• How are these girls doing? 🙂

• These girls are doing wonderfully. They are in their forever home together, and their new mom is completely smitten by them.

-Nicole

Suggested Topics