Question about flying dogs on airplanes!!

• SOO, my husband and i are military, and we are going to be moving (no time soon, but still…) from CT to hawaii. so i thought id ask, how does shipping animals go? how expensive, what can i expect, can i see him on connecting flights? will he REALLY be ok? how do basenji's take travel this way? ...eh, im nervous...HELP!!! ANY info will be helpful!!😕

• flying to hawaii is different than flying within the us. i would call an airline and talk to them. i like united for flying my dog. he has to fly underneath because he is too large to fly with me. there might still be a quarentine animals have to go through when you move to hawaii. supposedly you can shorten the process by going through a series of shots ???? that you would have to discuss with your vet. i know we have a board member from Hawaii, maybe she will pipe in. good luck!

• thanks…yeay i cant wait...not

• I am in the military also and have become and expert in flying with pets, lol. First thing first is ensuring that Jack is comfortable with his crate.Then try and arrange for the shortest possible flight. Next there will be blood test that will have to be done no less than 6 months before Jack would fly. They have changed the quarentine for military pets, but like I said you have to have the blood work. I don't have the link with all the info but I will search for it and post later my day (I'm in Germany). Now on for your questions.

@Capt_Jack_our_Basenji:

so i thought id ask, how does shipping animals go?

The basic for normal flights with in the contenental (sp?) states, is a health certificate to fly from your vet, no more than 30 days out for state to state and 10 days for international. And because he can't fit under the seat, he'll be checked into the cargo area which is heated/cooled and pressurized for pets. And then when you land you pick them up right by were your luggage is.

@Capt_Jack_our_Basenji:

so how expensive, what can i expect, can i see him on connecting flights?

For a basenji it'll be around $100-150 (depending on airlines), I only fly United or Alaska/Horizon Air with my pets. My boxer is $200 on united, and my cat at about 14lbs is $100. They base the prices on crate size and weight.

@Capt_Jack_our_Basenji:

what can i expect, can i see him on connecting flights?

I've never had problems with flying my pets and they travel with me a lot, even for leave. I wouldn't worry about problems, the have been many laws and precations in placed to ensure the saftey of our pets. Unfortunitley we can't see them on connecting flights, but they are taken into a holding area that is climate controlled until they are ready to go on the next flight.

@Capt_Jack_our_Basenji:

will he REALLY be ok? how do basenji's take travel this way? …eh, im nervous...HELP!!! ANY info will be helpful!!

He'll be just fine, if he does stress you can get a all natural stress reliever called "Rescue Remedy", just google it, it works great to help them relax and not be as stressed, and like all dogs they'll pick up on your stress to, so just remember to be calm when checking him in. As I do not have my basenji yet, I can't specifically answer if basenjis travel okay this way, but I have seen basenjis on the plane before and they were just fine.

And please feel free to ask away with anymore questions you may have. I hoped all this helped

• OMG yes thank you so much. its going to be hard to leave my poor jackers…all cooped up in a crate...tear

Suggested Topics