• Our new rescue basenji is starting to chew on towels and blankets. We had her for three weeks and she was so good. We did have to hide the toilette paper and waste basket. How can we stop her from chewing? Which is the best chew toy? Our Suni, which died, only chewed as a puppy. Laika is 5 years old.

• I recommend bully sticks, they are sturdy and don't break into pieces. I do take them away when they are 2 or 3 inches long (I buy the 12 inch ones) You might try Kongs, many basenjis like those, or some of the hard rubber toys.
    Do keep towels away from her, the long shreds can cause intestinal problems.

Your "honeymoon" period is over, you like her and now she is feeling right at home and not being on good behavior!

Basenji proof your house, give her other options, Kongs stuffed with kibble and peanut butter or low fat cream cheese, and keep her tired. Long walks, play sessions, a tired basenji is less likely to need to chew.
    Good luck, my Nicky is 12 and will still chew leather or toilet paper!

• @MacPack:

I recommend bully sticks, they are sturdy and don't break into pieces. I do take them away when they are 2 or 3 inches long (I buy the 12 inch ones) You might try Kongs, many basenjis like those, or some of the hard rubber toys.
    Do keep towels away from her, the long shreds can cause intestinal problems.

Your "honeymoon" period is over, you like her and now she is feeling right at home and not being on good behavior!

Basenji proof your house, give her other options, Kongs stuffed with kibble and peanut butter or low fat cream cheese, and keep her tired. Long walks, play sessions, a tired basenji is less likely to need to chew.
    Good luck, my Nicky is 12 and will still chew leather or toilet paper!

Great advise as always….. and I agree... typical that I have found with placing adults.... the "honeymoon" period!

• I use babygates to keep the b's out of rooms I don't want them in..re towels, I shut the bathroom door…
    If its a crate towel, I try to get some type of bed that won't cause issues if they chew on it.

• She chewed on the hanging bath towel which my husband uses. Also on his shirt that was hanging over a chair. We are wondering why, he spends so much time with her. Will get the kong toy tomorrow.

• @marli:

She chewed on the hanging bath towel which my husband uses. Also on his shirt that was hanging over a chair. We are wondering why, he spends so much time with her. Will get the kong toy tomorrow.

Mine would do the same….Kristii at age 10yrs ate the back out of one of my shirts that was hanging over a chair.... and she was not a rescue... born and raised here...gggg

• Both things smelled like your husband. Some dogs are attracted to things that smell like people they love. You both may have to adjust your habits, that will be simpler!

Mine will grab a damp towel to roll on, but don't chew. My friend Ginny had an elderly basenji that would chew up a towel, or rip the hem from around a tee shirt till she was over 16! (never had an obstruction, thankfully, but had some interesting poops) They had to keep clothes up and towels up high

• I am starting to get scared… Lana has never chewed on anything, besides my plants in the backyard, nothing inside the house though. I hope she doesn't decide to start chewing later on. (Knock on wood)

We always keep a bunch of rawhides and toys accessible for the dogs, both inside and outside. Maybe that will help!

• @diff_eqs:

I am starting to get scared… Lana has never chewed on anything, besides my plants in the backyard, nothing inside the house though. I hope she doesn't decide to start chewing later on. (Knock on wood)

We always keep a bunch of rawhides and toys accessible for the dogs, both inside and outside. Maybe that will help!

And that is how it happens - they lure you into believing they behave and aren't interested in chewing anything and then BAM, gone is your $275 cashmere sweater. :eek: I'm not bitter. :rolleyes:

• Mine have never destroyed anything inexpensive! Only the best purse, shoes, or belt. When Topper was new to us (under 2) he chewed the collar of my leather coat. I put it away for years, then realized it was the perfect dog park coat.

My husband come home one Saturday from a garage sale with an old, scuffed 'designer' leather purse(good quality leather, no cheap dyes). I said "I don't want that" and he replied "I didn't get it for YOU", and looked at Nicky (my chewer). She snatched it from him and spent many months chewing the strap, then the corners, ripping out the lining, there are still 2 large leather pieces somewhere in the toy pile. Best $2 chew toy ever. And she was so proud of "her purse".

• @MacPack:

Mine have never destroyed anything inexpensive! Only the best purse, shoes, or belt. When Topper was new to us (under 2) he chewed the collar of my leather coat. I put it away for years, then realized it was the perfect dog park coat.

My husband come home one Saturday from a garage sale with an old, scuffed 'designer' leather purse(good quality leather, no cheap dyes). I said "I don't want that" and he replied "I didn't get it for YOU", and looked at Nicky (my chewer). She snatched it from him and spent many months chewing the strap, then the corners, ripping out the lining, there are still 2 large leather pieces somewhere in the toy pile. Best $2 chew toy ever. And she was so proud of "her purse".

lol - what is the craziest thing you have bought for your dog? A purse. Lol

• Bitter apple spray works on most pillows and items like that, but as far as clothes go…
    We just pick them up...

• @renaultf1:

lol - what is the craziest thing you have bought for your dog? A purse. Lol

Hahaha… Well I got this dog food/toys/stuff catalog in the mail. They have nail polish for dogs, in about 5000 different colors and shades, and those little glittery stickers that you put over the nail polish. Purse is nothing!

Suggested Topics