• I used to have a preference for a blaze, Nicky my first basenji has one, but now I don't think I really have any perference for face markings. I love each ones idividuality of markings. In fact their little differences are very endearing to me. Nicky has a nice medium symmetrical blaze, Rally has a salt and pepper blaze that is only just barely visible, Rio has a thin blaze that runs just a little off center, Sophie's is turning into a thin symmetrical blaze. I love Ringo's little milk mustache plain face which is very similar to Heart the red girl from our last litter who has a very lovely face. Zeke, Cole, and Ramses all have the broad blaze that runs very high up. Each one is appealing for different reasons. It is just like I love the other quirks of their markings. Like each of my dogs with the exception of Ringo who only has a lightening bolt of white on his neck each have a point where their white comes up higher onto the neck, on the broad blazed boys this white actually met their blaze when they were pups but faded with time. Nicky has an island of red his right rear sock. He also has a Georgia Peach spot in his collar of white. We named Heart because she was born with a heart of red in her white collar, it looks like just a spot now but was pretty heart shaped when she was born. I think I am just rambling now so I will stop.

• I prefer a plainer face…
    My Mom prefers more white...
    the dogs we had when I was growing up generally had medium to thinner blazes..
    I can remember one dog..
    dont' remember his registered name..
    just that I called him Fan.. the Fantastic Elastic Man! LOL
    And he had a bit more white than our Rocket Man has...
    for me.. that is plenty white..
    I like my plain "Benny" face!
    Aside from the whippet and puppies..
    I have 4 intact r/w males with NO blaze and no white on their faces..
    MO, (our website cover dog) has the most white in the house!

FYI.. "paperbag brown" actually was a term coined for a tan/white basenji...
    meaning that the dog is not the correct color.. as a red basenji should
    be chestnut red, not tan.

• Perhaps only slightly diverting.. I heard that you are not supposed breed a BW to a brindle.. is that true and why?

and it is a shame about the other colors - I really like the creams.:/

• The only reason why some people do not want to breed a black to a brindle is because you won't know if the black puppies in the litter carry brindle since black stripes on black background looks the same as black. In some dogs, you can see the stripes in strong sunlight.

I personally believe there are far more important factors that a breeder needs to consider than to make a breeding decision based on color. I bred my black and white girl to handsome Avongara trindle. I kept a black and white girl. I don't think she is hiding brindle stripes but we won't know until she has pups.

• I prefer a plain face also… my favorite is white around the nose and if a blaze at all, just a very tiny white strip.... I am not a fan of the full face blaze... but then again... it is just color.. but we all have a preference...

• I love Rally's salt and pepper blaze. Acutally, the more I am around lots of basenjis the less preference I have for markings. I love the individuality of each basenji, just like their personalities.

• @lvoss:

I love Rally's salt and pepper blaze. Acutally, the more I am around lots of basenjis the less preference I have for markings. I love the individuality of each basenji, just like their personalities.

Amen to that. I REALLY wanted a red and white when I got Zaire (That is what my parents had). But Katie does not allow people to choose their dog, and she was in need of the reds that she got out of the litters for show and the next generation of breeding stock. So I got my little brindle girl. But really as I told Katie when we were discussing what she could get me. I have yet to meet a B (Or any dog really) that color becomes the ultimate factor, I just love them because they are great animals with very individual personalities.

Now if I had my choice, I would have one (or two) of EVERY color. Unfortunatly I don't live on 20+ acres to accomidate all that doggie goodness. :p

• @LiveWWSD:

Amen to that. I REALLY wanted a red and white when I got Zaire (That is what my parents had). But Katie does not allow people to choose their dog, and she was in need of the reds that she got out of the litters for show and the next generation of breeding stock. So I got my little brindle girl. But really as I told Katie when we were discussing what she could get me. I have yet to meet a B (Or any dog really) that color becomes the ultimate factor, I just love them because they are great animals with very individual personalities.

Now if I had my choice, I would have one (or two) of EVERY color. Unfortunatly I don't live on 20+ acres to accomidate all that doggie goodness. :p

You will find that with most responsible breeders…. the breeder will pick the pup that suits the family... and breeders will choose the pup for themselves to fit into their breeding programs. It is the breeder that has raised the litter and knows the temperaments of the pups... spends time getting to know the families of people that would be getting a pup from them.. and can 99% of the time know which would be the best fit. I know that some may not believe that, but it has always worked for me.... and I have yet to have an unhappy puppy owner.

• @tanza:

You will find that with most responsible breeders…. the breeder will pick the pup that suits the family... and breeders will choose the pup for themselves to fit into their breeding programs. It is the breeder that has raised the litter and knows the temperaments of the pups... spends time getting to know the families of people that would be getting a pup from them.. and can 99% of the time know which would be the best fit. I know that some may not believe that, but it has always worked for me.... and I have yet to have an unhappy puppy owner.

Oh I think it is definatly one of the tell tale signs of a good breeder. I would much rather get a dog based on the breeder choosing temperment for my needs. Plus it lets you know that the primary concern of the breeder is the health of their gene pool. And of course as I have said before, I couldn't have made a better choice as to wich B even if I had been able to.

A big YAY to all the breeders out there who are in it for the dogs, not the money. 😃

• I find it rather silly that the breed is confined to these colors when in the "wild" they have more variation. I know there were 2 Afs that recently were imported to Finland and Sweden but are they looking to do another large import like in the 80s? perhaps with some new colors??

• There have been several dogs imported over the last couple of years and there is a proposal to open the studbooks with AKC. The latest update will be published in the next BCOA Bulletin.

You can see the new imports at, http://www.baystatebasenji.org/African/ImportIndex.htm

• I personally love the dilutes such as blue tri and cream. Cream was a very common occurance in the earliest litters born in the modern world. Breeders at that time did not like them however and creams were not used for breeding. Being a reccessive color, creams (and blues) still popped up here and there through the 1970's and possibly 1980's. It appears that cream and blue are now completely lost in gene pools which are solely down from the original imported dogs. Such a shame.

• It really is a large loss. In loving our breed I find it pinnacle that we embrace it in all of its' natural color variations. Ivoss - thank you for the link, I went ahead and read all the letters and found it to be informative. I'll def. keep abreast. It's very exciting to think that with an open studbook to 50 or so new imports we could finally see some recurrence of the colors which have been so hastily discarded.

Suggested Topics