• A woman I met who has a brindle has lost her job and will soon lose her house she needs to rehome her B Dixie. I was going to foster her until other arrangements could be made but my girl zoe so far wont except her I will keep working on this, maybe it will work out but right now the minute zoe is given the chance she tears into Dixie. I have contacted brat for her as she has no internet. She just wants her dog to go to a good home she is very upset about losing her.

She has been trying to get in touch with the breeder but I have little hope on them taking the dog back. So far they have not returned her calls. I asked her about fanconi and she doesnt know if she has been tested. I'm hoping the parents were. I do know the breeder is in Freeburg, PA.

She is just turning 7 months she was born Dec 26th. She is not spayed and the woman says she wont be able to afford to spay her before she has to give her up. As I met the woman at my vet I know at that time 4 months ago she would have been tested for parasites and has a rabies certificate.

I have 2 picutures of her from about 2 months ago when zoe was more tolerant of her.

The second time zoe met her was 2 months later and she kept trying to attack her. Does anyone think there is a chance I can get her to at least tolerate Dixie in case I will have to take her in? I was thinking of letting them get to know each other at the dog park. Zoe has never had a problem with dogs there.

• Typically two bitches in this situation will not get along…. IMO.. You can try the dog park, however remember at your home... Zoe will be most likely different towards her even if they get along at the dog park.

And I would agree with you that doesn't sound like she came from a responsible breeder and chances of going back to the breeder sound slim to none.....

Hopefully BRAT will step in and be able to find her a suitable foster/forever home. She looks like a nice girl

• OMG, she is so cute!!! Hope she can find a home really soon, her little face is so appealing!

• First Basenji's

She is adorable… There is bound to be a good home for her out there. Thank you for helping this woman rehome her basenji responsibly.

• I would have her list this b with BRAT. They do a great job rehoming b's…

• Did you see the post from the family looking for a basenji in Akron? Her age is a bit younger, but it might be a good option.

• That's me, from Akron. It sounded like the original poster was looking to try to keep Dixie as a first option. On second read, it sounds like Dixie is just being fostered. I'll check with my family and we'll contact F.A. about her.

• @Mister:

That's me, from Akron. It sounded like the original poster was looking to try to keep Dixie as a first option. On second read, it sounds like Dixie is just being fostered. I'll check with my family and we'll contact F.A. about her.

At this time she is still with her owner I was only hoping to foster if things escalated before a home was found, but so far my female is aggressive towards her. I have only been in contact with her a few times but she is a very sweet girl and gets along with my male who is the same age. I have recently filled out and emailed the form on the brat site but know they must be busy.
    Its sad she knows she is going to lose her house just not sure when. She is very upset about losing Dixie so I just want her to find a true loving home

• Well clearly my hope is that this woman is able to keep her home and dog.

• She is darling. How sad, to lose your home and basenji. She is wise to try and find a home before she gets in a desperate situation. Surely a cute little 7 month old girl will find a loving home soon.

• Houston

How sweet, so sorry to hear about this womans unfortune and bad luck..I hope she is able to keep her home and dog..

• I talked to Dixies owner today and she tells me brat has already contacted her. I only justed sent it in yesterday I cant believe how fast they got back to her!!

• She should be easy to place, she is cute and a great age.

• Brat does a great job, we are not paid, and do it on our own time, but we all work for the b's..so, fingers crossed this girl can move into her forever place.

• An update on this story. I wasn't able to get hold of this women for awhile. The last I heard her father went into the hospital so I figured she had been spending alot of time there, but finally caught her last night. Brat came and got Dixie almost immediatly after contacting her so they have had Dixie over 2 weeks now. She is very grateful to them because with all her worries she didnt have to worry so much about Dixie. Sadly though her father died a few days ago but as much as she needed Dixie to help comfort her she is so glad she has a chance at a new home. She wants to thank brat for helping her out.

• I found Dixie posted on Brat. She looks really good sounds like she is doing well. I'm so glad. Hubby and Chief said we could have her but Zoey put her paw down and said NO WAY. I wonder if she will be able to except another B in the house. Not that I'm looking I have my hands full with 2 right now.

• Oh dear, my condolences to Dixie's owner. She did a very brave thing to let her Dixie go on to find a forever home.

• Hopefully Dixie will find a great home soon. As much as this must have hurt her first human, better to handle it sensibly rather than an emergency trip to the pound and all the pain that would have caused both of them. My sympathy to the first owner, if you see her again. And an "atta girl" for facing a bad situation head-on and dealing with it.

Suggested Topics