• Here is my little pup. I love him very much and he is my best friend.

Info:
    Tag, Now at 1.5 years old
    Male @ 21lbs
    Got him from the Atlanta Humane Society
    -They said he was a German Shepherd
    All muscle
    Very Fast
    Loving
    He has a single loop tale
    Short Fur, no shedding
    No Bark, but yodel.
    Wrinkle in the forehead
    Basic behavioral patterns that match a pure bread basenji.

Weird thing is that he has all brown fur. LMK what you guys think.

Mischievous as they are.

• First Basenji's

I would be more inclined to say a basenji mix than a German Shepherd mix from his size, his ears, neck, waist, and the other behavioral characteristics you mention (esp. the yodeling?). Whatever he is, he's adorable!

• Very cute pup! But, IMHO, not a basenji, may have some basenji in his background, the ears, the face, the tendency to curl the tail. I am more than willing to be wrong, as I am no expert and have not seen or experienced many Basenji's but my own and my vet's. Regardless, welcome to the forum and please continue to post stories and pics.

• Welcome to the forum.
    He's so cute, it's possible he does have some Basenji in him, to me he has a look about his head.
    What's his name ?

• Whatever he is, he is very cute indeed.

• I'm certainly no expert,but he sure appears to have some mannerisms and physical characteristics of the breed. Mine sits & sleeps just like that.

• Houston

I don't know but my goodness is he cute…what an adorable face...you are both so lucky to have found eachother..please keep posting pictures..

• He may have some Basenji in him…but as dog breeds mix together over generations, they all tend towards a similar look of what is called 'pariah dog' and he has that look to me. His eye and ear shape are the most noticably un-basenji things that I see. His eyes are more rounded, and his ears are larger and flatter than a Bs. He looks very much like a rat-terrier, or RT mix.....But regardless, he is super cute!

• T A G is adorable. He also is VERY photogenic. 🙂 keep the pictures coming… tooooo cute.

• Thanks guys for the comments.

I feel like he could be something else on a whole different level, but he cleans himself, not just the normal paw and privates, but also him fur.

And here is his tail, since I just noticed all the pics have him calm, in which his tail usually lays out.

• While he isn't purebred (lack of white tells us so), there aren't many breeds that curl their tails. And Basenji's tailbones actually curl towards the end, they couldn't totally straighten it out if they wanted to. That said, I still think he probably has some Basenji in his genes….and he's still cute as the dickens. More stories and photos - a must:)

• @BART:

While he isn't purebred (lack of white tells us so), there aren't many breeds that curl their tails. And Basenji's tailbones actually curl towards the end, they couldn't totally straighten it out if they wanted to. That said, I still think he probably has some Basenji in his genes….and he's still cute as the dickens. More stories and photos - a must:)

Actually all of the Spitz type dogs have a tail that curls over the back (Akita, Shiba, Malamute, Husky, etc). The double curl of the westernized Basenji has been added by breeders. Often Rat Terriers have a curled tail if it isn't docked, possibly because there is Basenji back in the lineage to create the breed. And lots of Basenjis have a tail that ONLY curls up over the back. Not all B tail bones curl at the end…Some of my dogs have super tight curls that you can't "undo" and some of mine relax their tails quite frequently.

I don't want it to seem like I am arguing with you, 'cause I think I agree with what you are saying. But I just wanted to clarify a little about Basenji tails.

• I would say a little basenji in him however he is DEFINATELY a mix. possibly a pariah dog. im not sure, he sure is an interesting mix. VERY cute tho!

• either way he's very cute. and if, by chance, he's not a basenji X, I'd think pariah dogs share enough traits with basenjis that you could learn a lot by hanging around and we could learn from you. So, welcome!

• I think he is absolutely adorable, no matter what he is. IMO he has a little bit of a basenji look, but if I had him I wouldn't care what breed he was. You have obviously found yourself a wonderful companion! Oh, and welcome to the forum! Glad to have you and Tag here!

• He is a really cute dog, sounds like a basenji mix, has the mannerisms, that last photo of him on the fence if very basenji-like!

• I agree with Kipawa - he is a lovely boy whatever andf I'm sure whether basenji in him or no you love him just the same!!

Without seeing him in the flesh I wouldn't like to give an opinion whether there is Basenji in him.

Welcome to the forum.

• I think you must have a mix there, he has the waistline, larger breast bone, some wrinkles on the forehead, some curl to tail, size, I don't think full-blooded though b/c he lacks a white tip tail, and the brown color, but he is very loving looking, and my B sleeps like him also. Whatever, I would treat him like a Basenji since he has alot of the mannerisms. Sweet!

• Whoever and whatever he is, he is adorable - he does sleep like a basenji, and he's welcome, as are you, to the forum.

• Yeah I've been doing some research on the Pariah dog and I do see the similarities but the weight is completely off…. He's 21lbs pariah dogs are 45-60lbs.

Suggested Topics