• My co-breeder Katy and I decided we wanted to put together a little video for our puppy people in hopes of educating them on how to dremel nails, brush teeth and check the ears (as they would at the vet's office). The most important point was to show how I handle them when they are not the most co-operative.

It is those uncooperative times when novice owners tend to give up and put the puppy down - which is a huge, HUGE mistake and a costly one as the pup then learns that a little fuss = getting their way. That little fuss will escalate if not handled correctly to the point nails and teeth can not be done.

Here is the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3iGv3qCPP4

Cl72

• What a great video! Thank you for sharing! Their faces are just priceless… 😃

• First Basenji's

Excellent. I especially love the pup's wide eyes when you commence teeth-brushing…

I so wish I had done all this, or been shown how to do all this, when my shiba was a pup. He had some traumatic nail-clipping experiences with a "professional" groomer as a pup, and now he's liable to take off your hand if you try to clip his nails. A real PITA. Luckily we walk him enough that long nails don't seem to be a problem...

• I'm glad Medjai is grown up and doesn't mind the dremmel that much, or I would be going through a ton of money in treats. Medjai only likes the expensive ones.

• Excellent video, thanks for sharing :)…

• Excellent video - it just shows you how far you can get with patience and a little treat here and there!

• Really great video!!! 😃

• Yes, very good video…. and one that we all can appreciate. And even for those of you with older dogs, you can get them to accept things like the dremel the same way... just a bit bigger to hold in your lap. But then, I have always trimmed nails with them on their backs between my legs sitting on the floor.

• Thank you for that!! I'm passing it on for sure.

• Great video, i never thought of using a dremel for claws

• What a very good video and such a good idea to provide one to new owners.

• @thunderbird8588:

Great video, i never thought of using a dremel for claws

That is the only thing that I will use…. I get freaked with cutting them with nail clippers.....

• Wonderful info for any new b owner.
    Thank you.

• @tanza:

That is the only thing that I will use…. I get freaked with cutting them with nail clippers.....

Me too, i just can't do it.
    I have bought a Dog nail file for Malaika but will consider getting her used to a Dremel, what head is best to use ?
    Another thing i wonder about is my first basenji never had his claws trimmed or filed all his life and they were great, nice and short and neat.
    I'm torn now because if i start trimming Malaika's will that make them grow more or do i leave alone . Obviously if they bacame long i would do it.
    Just wondered what people think.

• @thunderbird8588:

Me too, i just can't do it.
    I have bought a Dog nail file for Malaika but will consider getting her used to a Dremel, what head is best to use ?
    Another thing i wonder about is my first basenji never had his claws trimmed or filed all his life and they were great, nice and short and neat.
    I'm torn now because if i start trimming Malaika's will that make them grow more or do i leave alone . Obviously if they bacame long i would do it.
    Just wondered what people think.

The key thing about using a dremel is to make sure that you get one that can be switched to a really low speed, and always use light pressure. Also, I have both a cordless dremel and a plugin one - the cordless is pretty much all I use now as it so much easier not having to deal with the cord. I just use the sand paper barrels as I've been told that the stones get too hot (never tried those even though I have those attachments).

Never heard of nails not growing if you don't trim them - someone else might be able to speak to that. I know that walking my kids on the street helps, but it doesn't seem to take the place of filing the nails. With my adults I do their nails every 2 weeks - Brando starts to chew his nails if they get too long :D. With my 2 that are showing, I do them every week.

• I do my kids every week also…. and I agree with Renault1, I have never heard that not trimming them will keep them from growing?.... safe to say, look at many shelter dogs with nails so long that they wrap around...

And I use the sand paper barrels also on the Dremel (cordless one), the stone does get way to hot.

• Shelley,an interesting thought but I don't think not cutting could prevent nails growing. In fact I would say too that leaving the nails too long spoils the feet.

• Thanks for the info on the Dremels.
    Benji's claws must have just been kept short by pavement walking then because i never had to give them any attention .

Suggested Topics