• In all honesty, "the lab" and "OFA" are not truly separate in the case of our DNA tests. OFA has contracted with the lab at U of Mo and since the order is placed through the OFA website, I would have an expectation that OFA would answer questions with regards to my results and provide contact information to the lab in cases such as these. OFA does not get an out when you are ordering these services directly from their website. It would be a different situation if you were placing your orders through the lab's independent website, where you then have contact information for the lab and the expectation would be the lab would be the primary contact. If OFA does not want the job of dealing professionally with errors that occur in their contract lab then they should not be selling the tests through their website.

• I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that.

• One of Apache's sister was tested about three months ago and came back as a "clear"…now her owner just got a letter saying she's "probably affected". Seems the lab has been screwing up an awful lot lately.

I agree that they aren't handling these issues with much thought to the owners of these dogs. It's one thing to have a clear result and then get a carrier result, at least you still know your dog shouldn't (I say that only because if they screwed up once who's to say they didn't the second time) ever get the disease, but to get a clear result and then AN AFFECTED with just a few sentences on a letter...that's cruel.

I think they should send a new test kit out right away and ask for a new swab rather than retesting what they have, it shouldn't be up to the owners to call and request that.

• First Basenji's

Gosh this thread is making me paranoid…

I know that labs make mistakes, but I do hope it just happens in one "batch", something that can be attributed to a technical error, and not something that happens systematically as part of the process.

• Does anyone know of the actual process involved in the testing? I guess what I am asking is - is it possible that someone at the lab (maybe a new person) did not complete the test/read it properly?

• There is always the question of human error. We've had batches of breast cancer checks over here where the results were misread by an individual and people told they were clear when they weren't.

However these cases are rare but that doesn't help whenit happens to you, it's a cruel thing to happen..

• I wasn't happy with my Ind result from two clear parents because I told them before I sent the swab back that I wasn't happy with it and would have liked another swab. It was tested anyway and I almost expected a wrong result.

It wasn't necessarily an error at the lab but human error before they ever received it (on my part) I think they should have sent another swab, I would have been happy to pay for it. I was told if I wanted a repeat test I would have to start from scratch and pay all over again.

Suggested Topics