• Hey Nerdy,

Is the odour more noticeable during the winter and spring seasons or during the times when your climate is at it's most humid or windy? Our B has that distinct wet dog smell after baths or when out in the rain, however the smell does not stay. He does have that funky corn chip smell in his paws when it's dry outside but that goes away too as Kairoe cleans himself like a champ when he's not sleeping.

One thing that does come into mind, is when he accidentally steps in his urine or he accidently sprays himself - usually happens when he pees against the wind! When that happens he does smell horrible and it will linger throughout the apt. and on him until we wash it out.

I think if you rub something on his coat - that is pet friendly, it may get him to want to get the scent off and perhaps train him to groom himself more frequently. - we just don't know what will work that smells nice to a human but wanting a dog to lick it off…

Cheers!

• Baby wipes, just wipe him down with baby wipes.

• Nerdy - I've been thinking around this. Cleaning themselves is normally learned behaviour from the dam - Basenjis taken away from the litter too early for whatever reason could result in not cleaning themselves (not necessarily of course). We can't watch our Basenjis all the time so it doesn't mean that because we dont see them clean themselves that they don't do it. However as you've seen dirt left on for several days it is obvious that your boy is not doing so. It is unusual fora Basenji to smell but it happens. Are you sure he hasn't rolled in something? Is the smell from all over?
    I wouldn't think he'll learn to clean hmself if he doesn't now but it's not the end of the world - he is still the same lovely dog.
    I don't know if you can get BactoNature? - if so clean him with that sprayed onto a cloth and it will take away his coat odours.

It's still wise to get him health checked as well, just in case.

• I think I know how to make Gizmo to start to cleaning him self..
    Very easy trick, just spash him with water a little bit..
    He will start to licking him self..

Good luck, Valen.

• I agree that the problem of you having the terrible smell could be an anal gland issue. Some of them have that, some don't, but I find that putting cottage cheese (a little, only teaspoonful) in with their food helps harden the stool, which helps them empty the anal gland. If that doesn't work, your vet will empty them for Gizmo. Shaye has to be emptied once in a while, and it's very obvious when they are full - same thing, she will leave little smelly spots when she leans her butt against us. Both Shaye and Gemma wash their private areas a lot, and their feet, but though they don't seem to be washing the rest of them, they are usually clean looking, and do not smell doggy at all. . . perhaps you should ask your vet if he can see a skin issue going on.

• @Shaye's:

I agree that the problem of you having the terrible smell could be an anal gland issue.

I have said that it's not a "terrible" smell. Just a "dog/dirty" smell. But thanks for the input.

Anyways….

After our walk today I gave Gizmo a hose down in the shower (was muddy outside), but this time I did not dry him off as thoroughly. The result was Gizmo licking and cleaning himself for a good while!

I think Valen was on to something. If I keep it up, he will be "forced" to wash, and hopefully realize if he keeps himself clean I wont have to get him wet! 😃

• I just know my 2 b's don't have a smell..just the warm chip toe smell when it's hot.
    I look forward to seeing if the "sprinkling" works…if not, maybe there is some type of yeast growing and he should be checked? just my thoughts.

• I LOVE that warm chip toe smell. My cat Barney has that and I love sniffing his toes… that and burnt grass.

• OH, I love the chip smell as well…the b's are under the covers with me and Shasta puts her feet in my face and its just a nice smell...At least to me. Course, the feet in the face at 2 am isn't so great...but what are you going to do!!

• Better the feet than the bottom at 2am!!

• Oh, heavens yes…and don't get me started on the anal glan smell..icky!

• Perhaps I missed it, but did you ever give Giz a bath, shampoo and all. Maybe I misunderstood your posts, but a towel wipe or hose off isnt what I consider a bath. Not to offend but even the occasional tongue bath leaves a spitty smell after a while without a real soap bath.

• Snorky, I have not found that to be true with my 2 b's. They don't have any bad smell.
    I do bath them if they roll in something nasty, but with dirt from walks, the baby wipes work well.
    So, at least for my 2 b's, baths are only for them when they roll in dead fish on the beach. That happens maybe once a year.

• Thanks Sharron, I just thought it could also be a base line start. If he smells better after a bath, how long before the smell returns. If not much of a change, could be diet related.

Neither of my dogs smell (except for Frito feet:)) but I still bathe 2x's per year during major coat blows. Since fish oil introduction (per all forum member suggestions), even coat blow is non-stinky!! They seem to drop faster with all the stress related to water contact 😃 !!

The only other time I do a full bathe is after a skunk encounter or an overhead mosquito spray that I've not been notified about.

• I have found that diet can make a b smell different. I know it did when I switched to try a different food…but when I found the right one for my b's, the smell went away.
    Course, I have no proof, just what I saw in my house.
    Thanks so much for this post. Your correct, after the bath, it would be interesting to see how long it takes for the smell to come back.

Suggested Topics