Wanted: Basenji Owners in Boise ID area

• Actually, most responsible breeder do not have a "pair". In fact, looking for a "breeding pair" is a huge red flag because that is a good indication that the person is not looking at doing what is best for the breed. Multiple repeat breedings of the same dogs is bad for overall diversity and well being of the breed. Buying two immature dogs with the idea of breeding them together is bad for the breed because they are not being selected based on whether they complement each other in maturity and are likely to produce the most sound puppies. It completely leaves health out the door since it takes at least 2 years to just get the beginning picture.

Since this person obviously did contact responsible breeders, who I know would have told him the importance of health testing and selection then most likely they are not interested in doing it right. It seems even more probable since they are now advertising on Craigslist in order to meet people rather than going to the upcoming show circuit in Idaho or going to lure trials, etc where they are likely to meet other responsible breeders and owners.

• For what it's worth, here is the person's response when I sent an email asking why they are looking for a basenji?

• My concern is that he isn't asking for pet folks with b's..he wants breeders to meet him.
    As least, that is the way I read this…

• Hi, if you are from the Boise area, perhaps you should read this response from Art… I asked him why he was looking for basenjis, and this was his detailed response:

**Hi, Patty,

I was looking for someone who had puppies or wanted to breed, but that was over a year ago. I couldn't find anyone who lived near Meridian, Id. The closest one was in Oregon and that was a breeder and she wanted too much money for a puppy and at the time, I couldn't afford her price.

Now, I Just want to see if anyone else moved into our area that owned a basenji. There is a pet-park near our home here in Meridian that holds group parties every Saturday for different types of dog breeds. I have seen all kinds of breeds, but I have never seen anyone come with a Basenji, so I decided to place the ad on Craigslist to see if anyone would answer. That's the whole reason behind my ad, to try and find other people who love their Basenjis and who would like to meet other people that own basenjis and maybe would like to start a Basenji group, here in Meridian, ID.

Patty, the ad about the mom who lost her Basenji is the breeder I mentioned, her name is Rose Marie and she owns several female Basenjis. She and I have exchanged e-mails during the past year. She is the one who turn me on to registering my basenji in the www.pedigrees.zandebasenjis.com. My Benji King is now on that list.

I will look into the website you mentioned and see if I can find anyone from Meridian, ID.

Thanks,

Art M**

P.S. The website I mentioned was this one. Art, if you stumble across this…. welcome! 🙂

• Rose Marie and I both emailed with Art extensively.
    He was put off by the average price of puppies in the PNW.
    He was not interested in one of RM's pups because it couldn't be registered.
    Why would the ability to be registered hinder a companion animal?

This was from the wife, Melissa:
    The reason for us looking ofr a mate for our Benji is simple. Benji, according to our friend come's from a royal bloodline from Africa, somewhere in the Congo area. Benji come's from a bloodline of hunter's and it shows up in benji when he smell a rodent or a rabbit in the animal park behind our house. He will track it down and will not give-up until he finds it.
    We plan on breeding Benji once and then having the female spayed. That way we will continue the bloodline and have a pair of benji's to light-up our live's with their out going energy and loveable sound they make. And my husband can stay asleep a little longer, just kidding…..

• And looking at the pedigree of his Benji, no health testing done on any of the dogs. And not sure where the "royal lines" come from? All go back to straight American pedigrees

• Houston

Doesn't all basenjis come from "royal african bloodline"? I mean way back when they were all from the same lines..and most if not all basenjis will track down a rodent or bunny of they know it is near, and they never give up..part of the trait, not a special blood line feature..

• @Basenjimamma:

Doesn't all basenjis come from "royal african bloodline"? I mean way back when they were all from the same lines..and most if not all basenjis will track down a rodent or bunny of they know it is near, and they never give up..part of the trait, not a special blood line feature..

That is kind of what I was thinking. These people took the general breed description recited to them by some person to mean their particular dog was something special in the breed.

• What will happen to the puppies they can't/won't keep? Place them with a spay/neuter contract..yea right! sigh.

• Patty you seem like a nice person! 🙂 hehe just wanted to throw that out there haha

Suggested Topics