• I'm not sure how many of you read the BRAT page on Facebook, but a lady posted the following "FOUND" notice:

Help found a Basenji….she has a micro chip..indicates owner as Melinda Ebel of De Soto, IL. Vet is Striegel Animal Hospital. No current contact information was on file for this dogs owner. Dogs name is Effy, 14 years old. Do you know the owner?????

If anyone can help reunite this basenji with her home, the Facebook page is:

http://www.facebook.com/friends/?id=100000731181827#!/group.php?gid=42698328416&v=wall&ref=ts

• Here is some more info….Please contact BRAT if you have any info and they can get you in touch with the woman who is housing her.

Hi to all -

I was contacted this evening by a groomer named Laura, who lives just outside of Cleveland, OH. A Basenji wandered into her neighborhood late last week and she and her husband managed to coral her. She is microchipped. Originally, this FOURTEEN year old gal (does not look or act her age!) hails from DeSoto, IL. Her original owner was Melinda (from the vet who put in the chip). Melinda's contact info with her vet and the chip mfgr. and no longer current and a personal records check shows she has moved from the DeSoto area - but we do know Melinda owned at least THREE other Basenjis. We do not know if Effy has been rehomed, was lost in transit or on vacation, etc.

I've given Laura contact info for breeders in the DeSoto, IL area and also for rescue (both in OH, and nationally). Effy is (per Laura) sweet, biddable, good in the car, but has some separation anxiety. When found she was sporting a relatively new collar of a distinctive color (albeit slightly ill-fitting). Effy has several readily identifiable traits that make her pretty easy to identify. She is not thin and does not look like she's been "on the street" for any significant period of time. Laura has contacted all area vets and shelters - so far, no leads or contacts.

If you have information about Effy's original owner, or ANY information that might lead to reuniting Effy with her owner - please contact me at my email address. It would be nice to put this old, somewhat disoriented 14 yr. old girl back where she belongs! Laura can keep her until the end of May - but her family has a trip planned ot AZ at that time, and one of her own four dogs does not like Effy... So Effy needs to go "somewhere" on or before June 1, 2010.

• You may want to search Google using that person's name (or other people you think may know something about the dog) plus their state and see if any of those search results is helpful…

Example: Search Google using this format (with the quotes)```
    "FirstName LastName" State

Hope this helps.

• Great Suggestion IMBJ. I did that and found a Melinda Ebel at IL southern University which is 7 miles from DeSoto. Fingers crossed it is hers or she knows something about it.

• I do hope someone is looking for this dog. The old ones are so dear.

• Robyn, aka Yodeldogs, posted the following on Facebook. Does this jar any memories loose with BRAT volunteers on here?

The name Effy is unusual and sounded familiar. Years ago, a Basenji whose registered name was Effina Mia, whom I believe was called Effy, went through BRAT. According to Sally's site, Effy is 14 years old. I would have BRAT check their records on placing a dog named Effy a few years back. I am pretty sure she came into rescue with that name. It seems like she may have had an offspring with her.

Suggested Topics