• A few weeks ago I met a basenji puppy (4 - 5 months old) that was super calm - way calmer than any other b puppy that I had ever met (and I've met lots). His owner described him as really mellow pretty much all the time.

So, I was wondering if when a puppy is really calm at that age, do they usually grow into calm adults or do they sometimes turn into Tazmanian devils?

I know the breeders on here have seen it all so thought they might have some insight. I'm just curious.

• I think they're probably really calm adults. Medjai is the most mellow basenji I've ever met. No matter where we are, he would love nothing more than sitting with me and getting petted every now and then. Even at the dog park, he's really quite mellow.

• LOL… then there are my wild two girls... add in Franie's brother Trip and a few other puppies, throw in a couple of adults... and it is one big chase the other for hours on end.. My girls are NOT mellow.. except when sleeping!

• When other Basenji owners meet our B and comment at how calm he was / is, I usually say and think that it's the calm before the storm. However, 15 months have past and when I think about it, I would like to believe that Kairoe is pretty much like his humans, in a sense that we lead a very chill type of lifestyle.

I have noticed that since I've been taking him out during my bike rides, he's more apt to running and his energy has gone up considerably, which is more noticeable when we get cooped up all day because of the rain and he can't go out for the one or two hour bike rides. Once, the sun is up and the weather is warm he's just rarin' to hit the pavement and go full out sprinting.

• I think it varies dog to dog and also situation to situation. L'Ox is usually a pretty chill puppy. He was raised by a pack of adult dogs so he just doesn't tend toward they wild puppy behavior and in fact, way over reacts to puppy antics. He does play hard with his pack but not so much with "outsiders".

• I don't think I'd like a Basenji who was too calm!!! Mind you, sometimes I wish that Bungwa, who is only ever 'chilled' when asleep, would take a leaf out of a calm dog's book!!

I agree with Ivoss that it varies from dog to dog, I am interested in what you say about L'Ox - a singleton puppy I bred and hence wss raised in an adult pack (including other breeds) was probbaly the most relaxed Basenji I had.

• Since owning Shaye, I never realized the words "calm" and "basenji" could ever be used in the same sentence. :rolleyes: I envy you in a way - it's fun to watch my wildchild's antics most of the time, but some of the time she just wears me out - I don't think she'll ever be calm, and walks will always be a challenge since we are overrun with squirrels, rabbits, feral cats here, since her prey drive is always her driving force!!! Enjoy the calm - it may be a lifelong attitude, but then again, it could indeed be the calm before the storm.:eek:

• @Shaye's:

Since owning Shaye, I never realized the words "calm" and "basenji" could ever be used in the same sentence. :rolleyes: I envy you in a way - it's fun to watch my wildchild's antics most of the time, but some of the time she just wears me out - I don't think she'll ever be calm, and walks will always be a challenge since we are overrun with squirrels, rabbits, feral cats here, since her prey drive is always her driving force!!! Enjoy the calm - it may be a lifelong attitude, but then again, it could indeed be the calm before the storm.:eek:

Oh no, no, no. Lol, the calm puppy isn't one of mine, it is owned by someone else. All 3 of mine are superballs. I was just intrigued as I had never met such a calm basenji pup. Lol, my last one (Liyah) is a far extreme to that pup. :rolleyes: I probably wouldn't know what to do with myself if I had a calm one.

Suggested Topics