• @Quercus:

Oh NO! That is something I live in dread of! I have never hit an animal, or actually seen an animal get hit (frantically knocking on wood)…but I can't imagine how long it would haunt my memory. I still have a memory from over 20 years ago of a kitten that had been hit by a car. <sniff>My husband had a deer run into his car last summer...it actually jumped out of the brush into his car...it was stunned, but seemed okay....I am rambling now...</sniff>

I could see it coming like it was in slow motion but could do nothing, I slowed down, it ran in front of me to the other lane and…..well I won't go into the rest.:(

I'd been sick for a week if I had hit it.

• I hit a squirrel once – my only road kill -- it was three days before my now ten yr old son was born. I STILL think about that poor little squirrel. I imagine if I ever hit a dog, I'd be an absolute wreck!

Last Summer an acquaintance let Jazzy out the front door -- he actually let her out, then came into the living room and said, "Is the little dog supposed to be let out front?". AARRGGHH!!!!!
    It was night time, and pouring rain. There I was, running around in the wet darkness in my sock feet, yelling, "puppy puppy puppy" like a fool.
    Thank God she only teased me for a few panicked minutes before coming to me.
    The most annoying part is, I had SIGNS on my door that said, "Make sure the puppy in in the mud room or in someone's arms BEFORE OPENING THE DOOR."
    Do you think that means it is allowed out front? I was just a little hot!

• @JazzysMom:

The most annoying part is, I had SIGNS on my door that said, "Make sure the puppy in in the mud room or in someone's arms BEFORE OPENING THE DOOR."
    Do you think that means it is allowed out front? I was just a little hot!

:eek: :eek: 😃 😃 😃 😃 😃 😃 😃 😃 😃 😃 😃

• Scarry yet good ending story…
    A few years ago I was driving to visit my parents. They live up by Lake Tahoe which is a drive for me...well anyways, you have to drive through these little towns where the population is somewhere around 200. While driving through one of these towns (the road is still a highway and homes right off the road) this little puppy darted into the street right at me. I slammed on my brakes and expected to hear a thump but nothing. I bolted out of my car only to see this woman in a robe screaming at me telling me I killed her dog. Oah my god!!!! I hit the ground looking frantically under my car and there he was...just sitting under my car fine as can be. Thats when I got up and started screaming at her for screaming at me!
    Thank god the puppy was fine...maybee that will teach her to put her dog on a leash.

• A couple other ideas for getting loose Bs: running away is good, as Jessi suggested; kneel down on the ground and point out something as if it is the most interesting thing ever; lie down and flop around..that usually gets their interest; have them conditioned to know what their box of treats looks and sounds like (this always works for us); try not to act freaked out…a lot of times your andreniline rush will make the dog act silly, or run more, or try to stay just out of reach.

That's great advice!! It really does work. Our breeders warned us that they would try to escape at first. And they DID! My poor husband was nearly in tears but he did EXACTLY as the breeder instructed us to do…..STOP DROP & ROLL (act silly) 🙂 sound familiar...

Well you have to get them to look in your direction & drop to the floor acting silly so that they run over to investigate why you're on the floor looking crazy :eek: thankfully they only ran 2x & without incident. Now they stay put outside our door until I'm ready to walk 🙂

• i cant count how many times jack has done that…grrr

• Once when Storm bolted, I picked up a twig and baby talked that twig to death "Ahhhhhhhhh little baby sticky poo woo woo, looky at you sweetie pie cutie patootie - (ad naseum)" and generally made a fool of myself in front of my neighbors who were watching me quite intently :eek: - my baby talking caught jealous Storm's attention and he was back in a heartbeat to investigate what I could possibly find more enthralling than him :rolleyes: . It's amazing how these dog's minds work and what you'll do to keep them safe and happy! 🙂

• AWW man, i WISH that would work with Jack. i should try it…

• "Ahhhhhhhhh little baby sticky poo woo woo, looky at you sweetie pie cutie patootie - (ad naseum)" and generally made a fool of myself in front of my neighbors who were watching me quite intently

ROFL ROFL LOL LOL LOL LOL…this is the FUNNIEST story I've ever heard in my life!!! LOL LOL

• ROFL ROFL LOL LOL LOL LOL…this is the FUNNIEST story I've ever heard in my life!!! LOL LOL

🙂 Hahaha! I must say that Storm was quite disappointed to see that my "treasure" was a twig - I think he was hoping for a squirrel or a bunny or something a little more animated! 😉 🙂 😃 And my neighbors are NOT dog people, sooooo you know darn well they think I ought to be in a straight jacket! 🙂

Suggested Topics