• It just so happened that Debbie had left two boys with my sister to hang out with and maybe pick one to show. After that terrible Sunday night when we lost Zelda, I woke up after a very short night's rest to these little boys who needed someone to follow them around and put them out to pee and so forth. It gave me something to DO, if that makes sense. Every few minutes, I had to move, breathe, think about something. It helped.

So I was sort of in the right mode to realize that the little brindle boy was turning me into his mama duck. We (John and I) were not ready to commit to owning another puppy so fast, but we were able to "foster" this guy. So we brought him home with us and his name is Simon.

Debbie is letting us take our time, but we all know that he is here to stay. We just have to let ourselves breathe and get into the routine and then officially let her know. Have I mentioned how much I love Debbie?

He's shyer than I've experienced before – not dreadfully shy, but I wouldn't mind tips or pointers for helping a shy boy blossom. He's 14 weeks, if that makes a difference. He is a good little guy, just... shy.

• Sounds like Simon is just what as needed… IMO.... if he helps fill the void then sounds like it works for both him and your family....

As far as being shy, try not to react... my one new puppy is a bit to the shy side. When she came home she was not used to hearing the neighbors dogs bark... and would high tail it to the back porch... I just totally ignored it, continued doing what I was doing in the yard... after a few minutes she forgot all about the barking dogs... I do the same on walks, I just keep walking and talking to her to continue her focus on me and not on what ever she is thinking is "scarey".... And I don't try to introduce her to too much at one time.... we have had lots of puppy play days with other Basenjis at different houses and lots of car rides... a puppy class might be good for him too.

• You will probably want to pair new experiences with food. So rather than feeding him out of bowl for now use feeding to reinforce things he may be shy about. So handling him while feeding, going to a local park and feeding while he just watches the hustle and bustle. With the handling start with gentle handling and build up to rough handling so he associates all sorts of touch with being fed and good things happening. With the visits to new places start out at distance from the activity and build to getting closer and closer to it.

Puppy classes can be wonderful places for providing new experiences and building confidence.

• Debbie is a wonderful person. As difficult as Zelda's loss has been, it sounds like a great opportunity - for both you and Simon.

Just curious, do you know - is Simon out of her Dora & Tango breeding?

• He's a Mara pup, a dual sire litter.

He does seem to be settling in. He definitely thinks I'm the mama duck. He's had no housetraining accidents so far and is great with crate. I think he's going to be a really nice member of the family.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to put them into place right away.

• I'm pleased that you have found some happiness and what a great chance for Simon. Have you any pics 🙂

• Also do things around the house like drop pots and pans, make noise, play the TV loud, so that when they hear noises that startle them, they begin to take them in stride… if you make no big deal out of it... they will learn that it is OK .....

• Post some pics of Simon. He'll develop into a fabulous Basenji applying what Pat and Lisa have advised.

• sounds like you and Simon need each other.

• Sometimes the best dogs are the ones that just "happen to" you, not planned at all, but there they are and there's nothing to do but take them home and love them.

Simon sounds like a wonderful antidote to your pain.

• I have learned with having rescue dogs that they will "react" to things fearfully, and we don't know why, so..
    Instead of trying to comfort the dog, you say, in a bright happy tone, "did that ? scare you?" silly boy, look here is a treat, ok,oh, it happened again, *same bright tone," do you want to go whatever the dog likes, play with toy, walkes, etc so the noise which causes fearfulness, is shown to be no big deal, in fact, good things happen when the car horns blare, or the thunder cracks etc.. It takes time, your being bright and chipper and the dog learns to take the clue from you.
    I hope that helps you, it has worked for me.

• @MacPack:

Sometimes the best dogs are the ones that just "happen to" you, not planned at all, but there they are and there's nothing to do but take them home and love them.

Simon sounds like a wonderful antidote to your pain.

I totally agree with MacPack. Things happen for a reason. Shy Simon will soon turn into a totally wonderful dog for you. He will never replace Zelda, but will earn a special place in your heart too.

• To add to what tanzinia said. We trained both our pups to gunfire. We started by frrding in their crate with the door open. When the pup had a good rythem going we would tap lightly on the wall behind. If there was any reaction stop and wait for eating to resume. Repeat. We got to the point where a board ontop of the kennel could be slammed with a metal object without as much as aflinch. Now loud noises are no problem

• Here's Simon, from the day he came to Gloria's, and a week before we brought him home.

• oh, oh, oh, i do have a thing about brindle boys. they are wonderful!!

• (Thanks, Verb, for posting it 🙂 )

This picture, of course, was from a session where he and the other boy and Zelda were all doing some stacking and learning, so it's a bittersweet process to go through the many photos. There are several where Zelda is watching Debbie and Gloria stack the boys.

All three pups were being knuckleheads 🙂 It was a fun day.

• @agilebasenji:

oh, oh, oh, i do have a thing about brindle boys. they are wonderful!!

I swear, he already thinks I'm the goddess of the universe. He gazes at me adoringly. I call that wonderful indeed.

• What a wonderful coloration he has..he is lovely!

• @listeme:

I swear, he already thinks I'm the goddess of the universe. He gazes at me adoringly. I call that wonderful indeed.

Well, my brindle boy is the finest creature on God's green earth. (And such an easy dog - always has been from the day I got him at 10 months old.) I hope you end up just as in love with yours. You deserve the happiness.

• @Verbalobe:

Here's Simon, from the day he came to Gloria's, and a week before we brought him home.

he moves really well and stacks better than this, but there was a lot of commotion that day. I think he is super cute.

Suggested Topics