• @Vanessa626:

Keep doors closed and items high enough to where it is hard to get to and watch em like a hawk 😉
    It sounds like a lot to do but it is far better than finding your favorite shirt with holes in it 😉 GGGGRRRRRRR!

For our household, we created "Rocky's Rules of Order" to help everyone (aka my hubby) learn how to live with the dog:

1. If you left it on the floor, and the dog ate it, shame on you. Don't blame the dog.
    2. All laundry (clean or otherwise) must be put away promptly. If Rocky finds it and eats it, shame on you.
    3. All trash cans must be enclosed with lids.
    4. All kleenex boxes must be at least 3 1/2 feet above the floor.
    5. Do not leave food or coffee unattended.
    6. Diapers MUST go in the diaper geanie!!!!
    7. Dogs must sit at the door and you must exit out before they are allowed to go outside.
    8. Whatever the dog did to the cat, the cat probably started it. Don't blame the dog.
    9. Close off the bathroom.
    10. Find at least one good thing a day the dog has done (without you asking for it!) and reward him.

Good luck LoveMyBaroo!

• "Rocky's Rules of Order" need to be posted in my house 🙂
    Number 9 seems to be the hardest though. Chance just loves any opportunity to run with the TP when I am taking a shower 😞
    Before I know it, My house is a paper trail mess!

• Their is a good web site to try for traing Bs is site just for them Basenjivideo.com good dvd

• If your "b" does something wrong…take a newspaper, roll it up really tight, and hit yourself on the head with it!!!:D

• @basenjishunt:

If your "b" does something wrong…take a newspaper, roll it up really tight, and hit yourself on the head with it!!!:D

Craking up…:D

• @StellaGirl:

Their is a good web site to try for traing Bs is site just for them Basenjivideo.com good dvd

Do you have this web site. I'm so desperate right now I need all and any help.

• He is so bad. He is disrespectful and even does things to spite me! I know that is the breed, but this is ridiculous! I spend my entire day chasing after him and rescuing my 2 cats. If he is out of sight I am wondering what he is getting into.

I will repeat: dogs (or any animal for that matter) do nothing out of spite. Basenjis are animals and driven by centuries of instinct. Those instincts: chase, smell, hunt, reproduce (get him neutered), chew, to name a few.

I cant trust him. He chews things up, (but usually only if they are valuable or new, he seems to have a preference for those things) he torments my cats, eats their food, gets into the trash, pulls food of the counters, sleeps on my bed, (even though he knows hes not allowed), knocks over any drinks on my coffee tables, wont walk on a leash without trying to go after everything in sight, and just generally does whatever he pleases thinking everything is his.

Basenjis are not out to please anyone but themselves - "What's in it for me?" is what drives their 'choices' and you have to think about them in that way. My cell phone bears the teeth marks of a dog that wondered if it was food or just crunchy. Jenny loves to eat wooden knitting needles. The first thing I did was teach sit by NOT allowing her outside (or back in) until she sat. I had to very gently push her butt down at first and then open the door immediately upon sitting. After a few days pasted, I would just tap or touch her rear and she would sit. The same drill for food - once a day.

He refuses to listen to me or my husband, and is imposssible to train. We even tried the dog whisperer techniques with no luck… I know some of this has to do with his age (he is just over a year) but is he always going to be like this? Could some of this be because he is not neutered? Would it change that much if he was? I am new to this breed and we have only had him about 4 months, but I am seriously ready to get rid of him.

I have a lab-mix and a basenji, and the lab was easy to train, receptive to traditional-type training and no longer eats cat poop, garbage, food from the counter or coffee table. BUT she WAS very interested as a puppy, just easy to redirect with appropriate chew toys, treats. I got the basenji as a 7 month old (estimate) and for 2 months she was very difficult in all the ways you mention, but I also anticipated this and began researching positive training methods. Cesar's methods are more for dogs with behavior issues, but it sounds like your dog is just being a dog. If you got your's at 7-8 months (as per your info) then you should remember that it takes a few months for an older (not 8-12 week old) dog to aclimate. I thought IMPOSSIBLE at first too. But that is just not true.
    Check out www.clickertraining.com for some positive, effective training ideas. The basenji is an intelligent, sensitive, independent animal - like many sight hounds or scent hounds - and needs mental stimulation to stay out of mischief.

I cant handle the stress and my poor cats hate him. I really would love to keep him, but I dont feel confident that he will change. Does anyone know how the rescues work? I want him to go to a good home, and not be left living at a rescue but I dont know how to find him a home because I live in a very small town. Please help! I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

I have 3 cats. Some cats are not into having a dog invade their space. It is up to you to let your cats know that you are somewhat in control of the situation. At first I had to get between the dog and cat, but they have worked it out.
    Finally, see the thread about rollerblades and biking as a way to tire your dog out. The basenji is a runner and needs the release. Imagine how you feel after being cooped up at work or school or home sick, and imagine how good it feels when you are free from those things. That is what your pup and you need - stress relief.

• I just looked on the link..thanks for the info. Was wondering I have a 1 year old b for 2 months now and ready to pull my hair out (rather then continue allowing him to pull on mine) and wanted to get some feedback on that clicking method.

• Well I guess I should take a minute to reply to you all who have offered me so much help and insight. We have decided that Baroo is now a member of the family, and we are going to stick it out, come what may. He has gotten better about a few things, but for the most part it is me who has changed my habits, not him. I am learning that he really is just like a child and you have to learn to work around that, and even outsmart him. I will tell you though, baby gates are a great thing! I dont know why I waited so long to get them. I now have more control and less stress. It is a lot of work, but it is proving to be worth it. Baroo is a great dog (when he chooses to be) and now I could never think of getting rid of him. He has also proven to be a lot better around my son than I thought. I had concerns a first, but now he has taken a liking to my son, and hangs around him all day, letting him pull on his tail and choke him even, without so much as a growl. I actually think he believe that my son is his master. He takes his toys to him to play with and even tries to share his food with him, although Baroo wastes no time in sharing my sons food! I really think he will be a great family dog, just with a little more training. We still have a few things to work out, and my cat still hates him, but I think they will just have to learn to live with each other for now. Maybe I will try to train the cat not to run, because there is no trying to train the dog not to chase him! I might have better luck with the cat anyways 🙂
    In the mean time I have adjusted my life around the dog, and he is starting to settle in and adjust to us. I think he just wasn't comfortable enough with us yet, but we are getting there. Everyday is a battle, but I am taking things one day at a time. I am confident that he will eventually come around, so for now I just look forward to that day.
    Thanks to all of you for sharing, and please let me know if you come up with any more tricks for training. I can still use all the help I can get!

• That is great to hear. I am sure most of us have had the feeling we were in over our head and venting seemed to help. It definately will take time to get into a routine and with a little one it will be difficullt to keep many things out of reach. I can already see your B stealing a dirty diaper and running away with his new "prize"

Basenji's are frustrating at times because they think so independently. You must be on your toes as all times. Watch for pacifiers-they will get stolen.

I have to say I think that was the most frustrating part was Dash stealing things. He doesn't necessarily want it for any reason but he takes it and runs. He has learned to drop it when I say drop and the issue is over but I think he enjoys it. It is a way to get attention from me even if it is negative.

Good luck and keep in touch.

• YAY BAROOO!! 😃 😃 😃

Trust me it does get better with time. You get smarter & he WILL get better. Sometimes it's just about being patient & outsmarting them 🙂 Like most children they WILL get into things within their reach but they also do need discipline.

• @lovemybaroo:

…He has also proven to be a lot better around my son than I thought. I had concerns a first, but now he has taken a liking to my son, and hangs around him all day, letting him pull on his tail and choke him even, without so much as a growl....

I think your son is still an infant (8 months or so?); too young to be aware of consequences. I truly don't mean to sound harsh, but if your B (or any dog, really) is not in the mood (or is not feeling well) for tail pulling or choking, you may have an accident on your hands 😞 . Please be watchful!

I'm so glad things are working out for you and yours!

• I'm so glad you decided to stick it out! They are like children-forever!

• yay! i am thrilled! you know what we need?
    PICTURES! 🙂

• The old saying " A worn out Basenji is a good Basenji" is true. I've had Basenjis for 30 years, and had some challenging tuff ones too. I never gave up and they turned out to be real troopers. You have to work at and establish a relationship with them. What ever you feel and how you react they will feel and react. Basenjis will pick up on your frustrations and anxiety and will be a problem. You have to change your thinking and how you feel.

• I have to agree with the statement above…"a worn out Basenji is a happy Basenji"
    That is the HONEST truth. You can't fight it. They will win. Basenjis will fight you till the bitter end. I learned the hard way. :o

• My blk/wht as a puppy was so crazy and energetic. Do what I did and get another Basenji and they'll target each other. It works! Don't get a puppy though. Get a rescue that's a little tough to handle him. Also behavior problems can stem from feeding a bad diet like supermarket dog food that's made from meat by products and grains. Go to a pet feed store and see if they have Innuvo EVO. It's high quality. Also take him to the vet for a check up. Behavior problems can stem alot of the time from physical problems. My 14 year old tore up a chair cushion because he was in pain from a bladder infection.

• The other dog idea worked for me. I know it sounds like a lot to take on (not to mention my son is 17 – a senior this year --boo hoo--not a baby anymore)and it is but it has been well worth it. They play together constantly and wear each other out. The only real problem I have is walking them together they want to play and wrestle. Any suggestions?

• @luvsmy2bs:

The other dog idea worked for me. I know it sounds like a lot to take on (not to mention my son is 17 – a senior this year --boo hoo--not a baby anymore)and it is but it has been well worth it. They play together constantly and wear each other out. The only real problem I have is walking them together they want to play and wrestle. Any suggestions?

walk them separately!:rolleyes:

I'm glad you stuck it out. Many basenji owners go through "The school of hard knocks" on their first basenji.

I came real close to getting rid of my first one because the parentals didn't like the fact that he needed to dig holes (in furniture) to hide in while we were gone.

The first one is the toughest. Consider getting another one. I know it sounds crazy, but it really does make life easier. They like their own kind.

Keep it up!

• The first one is the toughest. Consider getting another one. I know it sounds crazy, but it really does make life easier. They like their own kind.

Very true, ours was like any only child - constantly need to be entertained or he would cause trouble- the second dog comes along everything changes.

His focus was the other dog- what's she getting that I'm not, then the constant playing with each other like little maniacs, wearing each other out.

Suggested Topics