• I am so frustrated and stressed out over my dog that I am ready to get rid of him. I dont know what else to do. He is so bad. He is disrespectful and even does things to spite me! I know that is the breed, but this is ridiculous! I spend my entire day chasing after him and rescuing my 2 cats. If he is out of sight I am wondering what he is getting into. I cant trust him. He chews things up, (but usually only if they are valuable or new, he seems to have a preference for those things) he torments my cats, eats their food, gets into the trash, pulls food of the counters, sleeps on my bed, (even though he knows hes not allowed), knocks over any drinks on my coffee tables, wont walk on a leash without trying to go after everything in sight, and just generally does whatever he pleases thinking everything is his. He refuses to listen to me or my husband, and is imposssible to train. We even tried the dog whisperer techniques with no luck. I have a 6 month old baby, and when he wants to play he will run him right over if he is in the way. He has hurt him several times by accident. I am confused though, because he is great around the baby for some reason, but wont give us the time of day unless he wants something. I know some of this has to do with his age (he is just over a year) but is he always going to be like this? Could some of this be because he is not neutered? Would it change that much if he was? I am new to this breed and we have only had him about 4 months, but I am seriously ready to get rid of him. I cant handle the stress and my poor cats hate him. I really would love to keep him, but I dont feel confident that he will change. Does anyone know how the rescues work? I want him to go to a good home, and not be left living at a rescue but I dont know how to find him a home because I live in a very small town. Please help! I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

• If you want to make it work, it's going to take a lot of work- which will be hard with a new baby. But it can be done! Talk with Quercus about some training techniques.

If you decide to put him in Rescue, please contact BRAT (Basenji Rescue & Transport). Their website is www.basenjirescue.org . They have Basenji experienced people who are dedicated to the breed and who will attempt to foster him before rehoming him to a good applicant.

Best of luck in whatever you decide. 🙂

• He will continue to be the same way, unless you change how you deal with him. What you are describing is pretty normal basenji stuff. Most of us make sure that the cat food and garbage can is out of reach; that there is no food on the counters; that there are no drinks left unsupervised on low tables; and we let them sleep on the bed. Basenjis usually chase cats if they run…period.

It sounds to me that a basenji is not the right dog for you. And it would absolutely be best to contact BRAT, no matter where you are in the country. Also, you should contact is breeder. If you bought him from a responsible breeder, they should be willing to take him back for life if he doesn't work out in your home.

If you should decide you want to keep him, there are lots of ways you could improve his behavior. The dog whisperer techniques are not magic. They only work if the person using them is consistant, and setting boundaries in every day life...you can't just start shshhhing your dog and expect his behavior to change.

I would start by neutering him,that won't change his personality or energy level...but it might increase his focus a little bit. Then simply keep him from doing the things you don't want. Close doors, use gates (see the thread about your basenji being smarter than a gate...it is an awesome gate). Keep him out of the areas that are off limits. Place things that are off limits out of his reach. And then take a positive reinforcement training class. To me it sounds like this dog has no clue he should even be listening to you, mainly because it sounds like his environment pays off way more than you do. If you yell at him a lot, he has probably totally tuned you out. You need to start over with any training you have done, to make you more interesting to him than what trouble he is getting into.

Good luck, I hope you can really look inside and decide if he is the right dog for your family. He sounds like a nice dog that deserves a chance to learn how to behave.

• I agree with Andrea and BDawg1005, it is going to take a big committment to help Baroo learn what is expected of him. I know you say it is out of spite but he really sounds like he just never learned.

If you need to find a trainer in your area you can start at http://www.apdt.com It is important that whoever you choose uses positive reinforcement training.

For your cats you should set up a "safe place". We have used a room with a baby gate across the door to give the cats a safe place. When we first got Nicky and we were still working with him on respecting barriers we actually had to put two baby gates up with a gap between that the cats could fit through but Nicky could not. Eventually, we were able to go to a single gate. If you cats run, Baroo will chase. Mine have lived with cats all their life and will still chase if the cats run but leave them alone for most part at all other times.

• I double DITTO everything said already.

If I could just add another point…it also sounds like the dog is tremendously bored with a lot of pent up energy. Do you exercise him regularly??? And I don't mean a leisurely walk at snail's pace. The key to to a calm dog at home is to tire them out outdoors!!

Basenjis are high energy dogs & some even more energetic than others. I have one who never gets enough (so he walks with a backpack) & one who is content with one walk a day. I actually run with my dogs & we roller blade on the weekends. If you watch the Dog Whisperer then you know that releasing their energy is the very first step in bonding with your dog & letting him know that you're his leader.

I know when my dog hasn't had enough exercise he starts messing with things & is just wandering about the house looking for trouble 😃 😃 Like this week we couldn't do much because of the cold so he started playing hockey with my CDs & he never ever paid any mind to them before & the case was at his level always within reach but usually he's too tired to pay any mind to them. This week he was looking for entertainment 🙂

If you can't committ to a serious exercise regimen with your dog then I agree with the others give him up to a family who can. He'll be happier & so will you.

Good luck

• After reading about your issues I can honestly say that I am starting to go through some of the same experiences you are. My Basenji is only 10 weeks old but he wants to chew wires, eat my clothes, claw the furniture and chase the cat every minute. Does he listen..not really. After you tell him no..he will go right back and do it again.
    Here is what I have learned though. Having a Basenji is like having a toddler. The moment you look away they will get into something. When my little boy starts to chew my clothes I have to yell at myself for leaving them out for him to get into. Food can't be left out or else it is free game. You have to be consitant with everything and always keep treats in your pocket to bribe them. 🙂
    I absolutely love my B though even though sometimes I could say a few choice words.
    Just hang in there and be strong it takes time.

• ditto to what others have posted.

and to add my own 2 cents….

dogs do not know SPITE. it's a human emotion. dogs do not behave badly to spite you.

perhaps you should seek out some training classes - to teach YOU how to deal with these issues. They seem like typical stuff to me, with some positive training, and creating a more respectful relationship between you and your dog, things could greatly improve. I don't believe any dog is impossible to train. it's about respect, positive methods, and setting your dog up for success. training is also always ongoing. you must ALWAYS use the techniques, daily, in each activity that you do.

btw - "the dog whisperer" techniques are not right for everyone nor every dog.

• What all of the above said is true, Basenji's are like little kids….....ADD kids!

I can't imagine raising a 6 month old child and a Basenji under a year at the same time. You may have bitten off more than you can chew.

Be consistant and patient it's not easy......always think ahead.

Good luck in whatever you do.

• @Basenji_Boy:

What all of the above said is true, Basenji's are like little kids….....ADD kids!

I can't imagine raising a 6 month old child and a Basenji under a year at the same time. You may have bitten off more than you can chew.

Be consistant and patient it's not easy......always think ahead.

Good luck in whatever you do.

Hahaha! I could not agree with you more B Boy! Total A.D.D.
    I think sometimes..when I am telling him no that was a bad thing and he cocks his head and looks at me with those little eyes..I am sure he is thinking…go chew on anything and everything. Momma doesn't mind!
    :rolleyes:

• @Vanessa626:

Hahaha! I could not agree with you more B Boy! Total A.D.D.
    I think sometimes..when I am telling him no that was a bad thing and he cocks his head and looks at me with those little eyes..I am sure he is thinking…go chew on anything and everything. Momma doesn't mind!
    :rolleyes:

As long as you keep that in mind you should be able to stay one step ahead of them.:eek:

Sounds like all is good with your's…....so far.:D 😃 😃

You will soon be ready for #2!:D

• @Basenji_Boy:

As long as you keep that in mind you should be able to stay one step ahead of them.:eek:

Sounds like all is good with your's…....so far.:D 😃 😃

You will soon be ready for #2!:D

Bite your tongue B Boy 😉
    Number 2….No Way Jose!! One keeps me on my toes..Two will have me pulling out my hair 😃
    Maybee when Chance gets a little older...Much Older

• @Vanessa626:

Bite your tongue B Boy 😉
    Number 2….No Way Jose!! One keeps me on my toes..Two will have me pulling out my hair 😃

But . . . Chance is so cute and adorable! He couldn't possibly have mischievious tendencies - could he? The Basenji's looks are quite deceiving and not to be mistaken of a fool. But with proper Basenji training, they are as good as they look.

lovemybaroo - You and your little furbaby deserve proper training. I took Duke to PetSmart's Intro Obedience training. It didn't take long to catch on. They actually train us to train our dogs. This forum and the Obedience training has been a big-big help to me. I realize you have your hands full though. If you must find another home - Please call BRAT. Good luck - I'd be interested if you keep us posted. 🙂

p.s. I believe a sense of humor should be a prerequisite for "Basenji slaves". 😃

• @Vanessa626:

Bite your tongue B Boy 😉

Two play together and keep each other busy and company…...a bored Basenji????:) 😃 😃 😃 😃

• lmbaroo,

i feel your pain, besides the lovely pics i have posted under the game thread, this past week fender also destroyed a pair of shoes. not just any shoes, my ballroom dance shoes that were over $100 😞 the good news is that the local cobbler will repair them for 14.00 and i will have them in time for dance class on thursday. i have a three year old son. fender is "his" they sleep together and fight over toys. he has better days when we spend at least an hour walking. i tie the leash to the stroller and we are off. he has no choice but to walk close, and he wants to pull he will be tired very fast! fender is 8 months old btw. i got him in october. my unfair advantage is i have just been thru the terrible twos with my kiddo (i have more patience now than ever) plus i grew up with Bs, so i totally knew what i was getting myself into, but there is no other kind of dog for me. the eyes, the wrinkles, the baroos 🙂
    good luck

• Here is how I see it. Puppies and dogs are a commitment just like a child. You need to commit to your puppy that you will love him no matter what and take care of him. What everyone is saying is soo true my B is a toddler looking to explore and investigate. It is my fault if he gets into something not his. Yes I will be one mad mommy but I am at fault. My children have learned that if they leave their toys out and Guru (our 😎 chews them up the toy goes in the trash. Guru doesnt get in trouble he saw something that looked like fun and wanted to play.

I also have a six month old and our puppy does great with him but I am right by my son everytime Guru is near him to make sure there are no problems and keep both puppy and baby safe from harm. I have spent the entire time since we got Guru training my children and him to be good and gentle with each other. I know it will take time but I am commited to Guru and he is a part of my family. Each person in my family has a part in taking care of Guru. My oldest who is six is teaching him tricks, my 5 year old helps feed him and makes sure he has water, my 3 year old gives him treats and puts him outside when we go places, my 6 month old has given him treats and pet him. Me and my husband clean up after him and do the major training and correction. Mabey you should try getting into a class to train your B.

I wouldnt leave the baby alone with the puppy until he is good with the baby just like I would never leave my 3 year old alone with the baby while I go potty. He might do something he shouldnt because he doesnt know what is okay and what is not.

I hope this doesnt offend you but that it helps you.

• @Basenji_Boy:

Two play together and keep each other busy and company…...a bored Basenji????:) 😃 😃 😃 😃

I don't disagree with that BUT c'mon. 1 B is enough for me right now.

As for little Chance getting into trouble…it's 24-7. This little guy is getting into everyting. We had our first B-500. It was more like a B-250 since he is a pup. He is so clumsy that he hit everyting in sight! He needs a helmet! My glass table is taking a pounding from him. :o

• And I also agree with the other posts here, this might not be the breed of dog for you especially with a baby…. Sounds like he didn't have much early social training, as if I am reading this right, you got him at about 7 months old? Have you talk to the breeder? As Andrea said a responsible breeder will take their dogs back if they don't work out.... and if not then BRAT is a great choice to find him a suitable home.

For the "baby" puppy (10wks) what you describe is typical puppy... attention span, nil..... nada.... empty!!!!! LOL

• You have the wrong breed. Sighthounds and herd dogs should not be around kids. Kids run around like crotch goblins. Sighthounds, like the Basenji, will chase and trip up your kid and friends. This is how Basenjis hunt. Herd dogs have a genetic disposition to round up and confine moving things, like cows, sheep or kids.

I can only forsee disaster for you and your Basenji. As you have a new kid, your attention will be devoted there. Your Basenji will pick up on these cues and start hanging around your kid and probably become aggressive towards you. Please contact BRAT. They will find a good home for your Basenji.

Basenjis are alot of work. They require alot of exercise and attention. You are already in a losing battle. And now a kid? You should reevaluate your situation. My recommendation would be a gun dog. They are trainable and behave more like a dog. This is what you seem to want. Don't buy a water dog. They have more oil in their body than most breeds. This oil insulates them from cold weather. Unless you are an avid water fowl hunter the oil is not a problem. If you don't hunt the oil will be all over your house along with a rancid doggie oder.

Bruce Fogel, DVM has published an encyclopedia of dog breeds. He devotes a page per breed. This includes a photo of the breed along with icons denoting items such as trainability, grooming, exercise requirements and socialbility. Do your research.

Narrow your feild to 4 or 5 breeds. Then talk to breeders. They will inform you if the breed is good for your situation. If they don't think the breed is good for your situation they will recommend a bred that is.

You probably got a Basenji based on size and grooming requirments. Should this be the case, look towards gun dogs. They typically average 20-30 inches at the shoulder and 40 to 60#. A little bigger than you want, but the personality is more akin to what you want.

Talk to a BRAT Rep. They are better equipt to analyse your situation and provide you with a resolution.

• <>
    That is just not true. Sighthounds and herding dogs can live perfectly well with children. And I don't even know what a 'crotch goblin' is, but personally I find that term offensive.

• If you do stick it out you'll have to change your life a little. Certain things seem second nature to me. I know to pick up my drink when I leave the room. I know to scoot everything back at least 8 inches from the edge of any counter. I know to look behind me as I'm walking out the door, and to grab dogs when guests are leaving. I know that I will never be patient enough to train any basenji to stay out of a trash can, so it is under the sink with hidden child-proof locks so the basenjis don't open the cabinets.

You need as much training as he does. Don't beat him–it will not work, and is counter-productive. He will learn nothing but spite, and fear from being beat. It will almost never correct the behavior that you do not like.

He is in his "terrible twos" right now. If you stick it WILL PAY OFF. You've got another challenging year ahead of you.

I encourage you to keep educating yourselves on the nature of the breed. Whoever sold him to you did you a major disservice by not telling you about the breed.

It sounds like he's taken your baby up as a littermate, and is treating him as such. That's not good. He's not going to hurt the baby bad, but he's also going to respect him or uh...disrespect him as another puppy, instead of respect him...uh...er uh...disrespect him as one of his humans.

I encourage you to check out all of this site: www.basenjicompanions.com

Listen to Quercus–She knows her stuff.

Suggested Topics