• Have started this thread as i don't want to hijack Belinda's thread.
    We are at the stage were we need to be working on Malaika's manners as i'm sure other people with pups are.
    Can anyone offer advice or books to read etc on teaching good manners.
    We are doing the obvious things with Malaika and hopefuly we are on the right track. She has also started to attend puppy classes.
    When out walking on her lead Malaika is desperate to sniff other Dogs, we ask if it's ok for her to say hello, if it is we allow her to sniff, she usualy rears up and paws, so we end up bringing her back down.
    At a recent funday she met lots and lots of Dogs and got on well with large Dogs who tended to lay down and let her chew them ?
    Off lead play is more difficult as the family dogs aren't suited. My parents Papillon attacks her (quite rightly) because she keeps diving at him. We have had to use a water pistol to discourage her as he gets upset.
    The other possible playmate is a King Charles pup who is no match for Malaika.
    When we are in the park we let her off to play with selected dogs .

• I always think that Ian Dunbars books and dvds are excellentt on training puppies. I expect you can find them on Amazon or else Crosskeys Publishing have them.

• Thanks Helena, will have a look.
    Today we had a friends male Jack Russell round to play. He wasn't too interested in her and just wanted to sniff/mark the garden. She followed him around excitedly and yodelled at him. He only growled at her a few times but strangely she didn't keep leaping at him so he must have given off some signal we couldn't see.
    I think we will have to cultivate this friendship 😃

• There are books about the signals given off by dogs and it is very interesting to see these reactions. Malaika is obviously a very friendly little girl.

• @Patty:

There are books about the signals given off by dogs and it is very interesting to see these reactions. Malaika is obviously a very friendly little girl.

Patty, by any chance do you know the name of any of these books, or what words I might use as a 'search' at Amazon? I find animal psychology interesting.

• A very good DVD is The Language of Dogs by Sarah Kalnajs, I always spell her name wrong. Also Calming Signals by Turrid Rugas, I think I spell her name wrong too.

• @lvoss:

A very good DVD is The Language of Dogs by Sarah Kalnajs, I always spell her name wrong. Also Calming Signals by Turrid Rugas, I think I spell her name wrong too.

Thanks, I'll have a look for these. Moving pictures can make more sense than static ones with their written descriptions.

• The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnel is an excellent look at the language of both dogs and people.
    Other good or interesting books I have come across:
    Dont shoot the Dog By Karen Proyer
    How Dogs Think By Stanley Coren

• Kipawa - www.dogwise.com has most of Ian Dunbar's books and dvds - they also have plenty of dog trainig and behavioral books etc. If you put 'Ian Dunbar' into their author search you'll find most of his publications. I usually then check them out on Amazon in case they're cheaper there!!! Dogwise most probably have the two DVDs mentioned by Ivoss and those by Starrlamia as well. They are, indeed very good. In the UK I find them in Crosskeyts Publishers which is linked in some way with Dogwise.

• Patty, thanks so much for the info. I am going to order a couple of books and the DVD. Time to start a "dog" library. 🙂

Suggested Topics