I need help naming my new basenji pup!!

• @starrlamia:

yikes, thats like encouraging a teenage girl to start having children.

You mean telling people about the required health testing and need to have health information on relatives is like encouraging a teenage girl to start having children? Or do you mean breeding a animal under the age of 2 is like encouraging a teenage girl to start having children?

• Erm, I didn't understand that last comment above…when did teenagers enter?? Anyway,

I must agree with Lisa though, since it appears the only viable bitch you have to breed is 8 months old - untested and not yet appraised by a proper judge - it surprises me to see you would be expecting a litter in 2011. Furthermore the only names you have listed as references (ie Hestekin Hills' Teresa Hestekin) has a reputation of being a poor breeder and confirmed backyard breeder. There have been multiple email alerts (not just on Basenji Forums) concerning her breeding practises. Reading through her site her claims are rather ludicrous when she confronts over pet population and the role of the SPCA. Finally the cost of a puppy is positively extortionate - 1200 for 6 month old unshown Bitch? And her kennel on Puppyfind has Akita pups for $2000. I'm not saying she is you, I'm saying this might not be the person you want as a counsellor.

Remember all good Breeders start the same, with a passion. A passion for the dogs they love; I think it's evident that you appreciate Basenjis. That passion however is not enough without knowledge, a deep knowledge of the long history this breed professes to (ie knowing your bloodlines, kennel names, origins and life histories of the first Basenjis brought back from Africa) Good breeders will have a excellent mind for the genetics of their dogs, because they will have given the time and energy to academic study and reflection in order to make a match that will produce the soundest puppies possible. A reputable breeder will welcome constructive criticism with a fervent eagerness, because it's not about us (or about a profit), it’s about the dogs. I think from reading over your website quite thoroughly that you genuinely want to work with Basenjis. That’s brilliant. So ask yourself, when was the last time I took a course in Biology? When was the last time I was attending competitive shows and chasing down BCOA members to counsel me? Could I myself evaluate a puppy for show quality? How many years have I devoted to knowing this breed inside and out as much as I can, down through the pedigrees? What are the differences in body type between an English bloodline dog and a Finnish pedigreed dog today? Am I in good standing with a recognised dog club, so my peers can support and guide me? What are the faults in my dogs? How would I genetically improve that and what are the statistical odds of that happening? Do I have the monetary resources to invest in my breeding adventure? A recent tally of a reputable breeding put the cost of $4,000+ to the breeder, I think she might have had 4 puppies but it could have been 3. All of them sold for less than $900. Do I have the money and the knowhow if something goes terribly wrong with my bitch’s pregnancy? These are good questions (certainly not a comprehensive list) and they should be concretely answered before having a litter. So understand that every breeder starts where you are, with a life of love for dogs and a desire to serve the breed. I believe that if you reach out and ask for help it will be given to you. There are MULTIPLE trustworthy breeders on the forum, use them! I think a courageous thing to do as well is to have your bitch evaluated by the most trained eyes you can find – and listen to what those people say. Use your enthusiasm to be the very best you can be, and that is a lifetime worth of work, but a life worth living when your ambitions are recognised.

As a small side note, you mentioned you watch Cesar Millan. I don’t know if you watch or practice but in my opinion it would behove you to read the recent article that was posted on the Forum about his methods and follow that up with the reading Lisa supplied. Basenjis respond very very poorly to these kinds of training methods.

• @lvoss:

You mean telling people about the required health testing and need to have health information on relatives is like encouraging a teenage girl to start having children? Or do you mean breeding a animal under the age of 2 is like encouraging a teenage girl to start having children?

i meant breeding a dog under the age of two. sorry i thought i was clear but thats what I get for posting so late!

And it was a comparison of the maturity both physically and mentally, from what I understand breeding a dog under the age of 1 is like breeding a 12 year old and breeding a dog under 2 is like breeding a teenager. I believe i read that in a stanley coren book.

• ok the topic is dead. Ill just end with that also. Im not going to fight you because i do not wish to. Thank you for the advice ill take it to heart. I appologize if you do not like me, tho we do not know each other. And I do not know you, but how did you get started? because someone had to have given you a break in order for you to start breeding, didnt they? –im honestly asking, not in a sarcastic rude way.

Ivoss. Ihavent have internet for a while, I have to go to the library and I had a friend offer to update my site for me because she likes doings things like that, I let her, and she misunderstood what I told her. I will not be having a litter in 2011. I said POSSIBLY in 2012 IF Marli is all tested and the tests are admirable to breed then I MIGHT breed her however it is not planned and I appologize, that doesnt look good and i agree....I agree she will not be old enough to breed because they have to be at least 2 for the tests to be mostly accurate and she will not be. I want all the testing to be done before that. Please do not hold it against me. I will be editing my own site from now on so things do not get confused.

Honestly, I feel attacked and, tho i know it is not meant it, I do. I love this breed, I LOVE dogs. I have saved over 300 dogs since 2008 when i founded my rescue, I have been around dogs my whole life, my father taught me how to train them, groom them, and both of my parents taught me to be a caring individual for all animals, including dogs. I am the MOST animal loving human being on the earth. I stop and help turtles that are on the side of the road, I once saved a little bird whos feet were stuck on the highway because it landed in wet asphalt. If i see a stray dog, I find a home for it, or i look hard to find the owner. Ill try to catch him/her so that it doesnt get hit by a car. If im busy or in a rush i STILL do it because i genuinely care about dogs...Some people that know me think I care more about dogs than anything else in the world...even people...SOME cases i do agree with them. ...but honeslty I dont know how to show everyone...and because no one knows me it doesnt really matter, that I truely want to better the breed...and also that I am not in this for money. Money is the last thing on my mind if i were to breed. If you met me, im sure you would agree. And I know just being an animal lover is not a reason to breed and I agree, its not. and Im NOT saying she will be the dog I breed and im not saying I wont get another puppy that is in good lines. Im saying that if i do breed her--IM NOT SAYING I WILL--she would be the potential mother of the puppies. I AM looking into finding a champion lined breeder and im saving up. I want to enter her in shows because it would be a fun thing to do. I may never breed her, I DONT KNOW. But its always fun to have practice and experience. I have already spoken to my vet about the testing and once he gets the tests in (like fanconi and other need-to-get-tests) ill be having her tested for everything.

I appologize If I have offended anyone. I also apologize even though I feel I have nothing to apoligize for. But I do because I am a kind hearted, easy going person and I do not like fights. I appreciate everyone who has helped and put their two sense in, and I appreciate everyone who was kind and polite about it.

Thank you for the input and if anyone would like to talk about thi, or basenjis, Id love to chat. Its always nice to hear from basenji lovers and hear the stories of their dogs.

• I don't think Debra was attacking you. I think she felt that it was not strongly pointed out that your philosophy for building a responsible breeding program had several major flaws.

What I saw Debra doing was trying to point out the need for a sound foundation and that even doing everything we can to get that we sometimes find at maturity that it doesn't work out.

To build a strong foundation it is not good enough to buy a female and just do the testing and competing with her and call it good. At this time, only 2 hereditary diseases in the breed had a DNA test and one is only a marker test so it still behooves us to gather multi-generational data. For those diseases with no DNA test the only way to figure the odds of producing the disease is to have both depth and breadth of pedigree tested. If you go to OFA and pull up the health pedigree for your dog how many "holes" are there for Hips, Eyes, and Thyroid? This is something that should be considered when you first contact breeders.

Titled dogs in a pedigree is not a guaruntee of quality but it does say something about the commitment of the owners/breeders of the dogs. To title in the various venues out there it takes a commitment of both time and money. It also shows the person has pride in their animal and is willing to put them out there in front of judges, breeders, and exhibitors to see. When most of the pedigrees is untitled dogs, that leaves the question, who besides the breeder ever saw and evaluated these animals?

As for co-ownership, this is not something that shoud be a horrible burden that a person seeks to avoid. This should be something a beginner seeks out because they are looking to build lasting relationships in the basenji community and want mentorship in the breed. Breeders ask for co-ownerships with novice owners because they have invested years of their time and heart into their breeding programs and they care about what happens to each puppy. They want novices to be successful and want to help them achieve that success.

Right now, your puppy is 8 months old. Thoughts of breeding whether it is in 2011 or 2012 should be the furthest things from your mind right now. You should be enjoying puppy classes, starting showing training and entering matches and fun events. These first couple of years is all about learning what your dog has to offer the breed.

• I did a posting earlier inquiring about the pedigree for your Missy and her offspring. Are they in the Basenji Pedigree Database? I was interested in knowing if they are related to the girl I have at home.

I highly suggest getting eye exams done on your Bs based on the Sweeters line and also if your Bs are related to my girl.

Thanks!

Jennifer Hill

• Cesar Millan is going to get someone killed.

http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/2726.htm

Quotes From Experts

World-renowned dog trainers, behaviorists and veterinarians had all warned National Geographic that Millan's methods had the potential for disaster. Below are quotes from noted experts:

• "Cesar Millan's methods are based on flooding and punishment. The results, though immediate, will be only transitory. His methods are misguided, outmoded, in some cases dangerous, and often inhumane. You would not want to be a dog under his sphere of influence. The sad thing is that the public does not recognize the error of his ways. My college thinks it is a travesty. We've written to National Geographic Channel and told them they have put dog training back 20 years."
      o Dr. Nicholas Dodman - Professor and Head, Section of Animal Behavior
      o Director of Behavior Clinic, Tufts University - Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine
    • "Practices such as physically confronting aggressive dogs and using of choke collars for fearful dogs are outrageous by even the most diluted dog training standards. A profession that has been making steady gains in its professionalism, technical sophistication and humane standards has been greatly set back. I have long been deeply troubled by the popularity of Mr. Millan as so many will emulate him. To co-opt a word like 'whispering' for arcane, violent and technically unsound practice is unconscionable."
      o Jean Donaldson, The San Francisco SPCA-Director of The Academy for Dog Trainers
    • "A number of qualified professionals have voiced concern for the welfare of pet dogs that experience the strong corrections administered by Mr. Millan. My concerns are based on his inappropriateness, inaccurate statements, and complete fabrications of explanations for dog behavior. His ideas, especially those about "dominance", are completely disconnected from the sciences of ethology and animal learning, which are our best hope for understanding and training our dogs and meeting their behavioral needs. Many of the techniques he encourages the public to try are dangerous, and not good for dogs or our relationships with them ."
      o Dr. Suzanne Hetts, Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist
      o Co-owner of Animal Behavior Associates, Inc., Littleton, CO
    • "Cesar Millan employs outdated methods that are dangerous and inhumane. Using a choke chain and treadmill to treat fear of strangers and dogs is completely inappropriate. Hopefully the National Geographic Channel will listen to the scientific community and discontinue production of The Dog Whisperer."
      o Vyolet Michaels, CTC (Certified Dog Trainer and Behavior Counselor)
      o Owner of Urban Dawgs, LLC of Red Bank, NJ
    • "On his TV show, the main method Millan uses for aggression is aversives (leash jerks, kicks, snaps of the hand against the neck, and restraint, among others) applied non contingently. The aversives are non contingent because they are so frequent that they're not connected to any particular behavior on the part of the dog—the dog gets popped pretty much constantly. This results in a state called learned helplessness, which means the animal hunkers down and tries to do as little as possible. This is what Millan calls "calm submission." It's exactly the same thing you see in a rat in a Skinner box that is subjected to intermittent shocks it can do nothing to avoid. This can happen quite fast, by the way, shall we say in ten minutes? The dangers to the dog are obvious, ranging from chronic stress to exacerbating the aggression, i.e., some dogs fight back when attacked. This latter is the simplest reason that aversives are a bad idea in treating aggression. Even used technically correctly as positive punishment for specific behaviors like growling and snarling, aversives do nothing to change the underlying fear or hostility, so the best you can hope for, in the words of famed vet and behaviorist, Ian Dunbar, is "removing the ticker from the time bomb." Thus such methods substantially increase the risk to humans of getting bitten."
      o Janis Bradley, Instructor at The San Franciso SPCA Academy for Dog Trainers
      o Author of the book, "Dogs Bite"
    • Excerpt of letter from Lisa Laney, Dip. DTBC, CPDT, CBC to National Geographic before airing "The Dog Whisperer":
      o "The intended program depicts aversive and abusive training methods - treatment for some serious anxiety and fear based issues - being administered by an individual with no formal education whatsoever in canine behavioral sciences. The "results" that are shown are more than likely not long lasting changes, but the result of learned helplessness, or fatigue, neither of which impact behavior to any significant long term degree - at least not in a good way. For those of us who are pioneering the effort to end the ignorance that drives the cruel treatment administered upon our canine companions, it is disappointing to see that this programming will reach the masses - especially on the NG Channel. The ignorance that this program perpetuates will give equally ignorant people the green light to subject their dogs to abuse. In turn these dogs will react even more defensively, will bite more people - and end up dead."
    • "I have serious concerns because his methods are often intimidating rather than motivating. On TV, the dogs do comply but often they're being forced to - you can tell by their body language: tail down, mouth closed, ears back, eyes dilated… I argue that motivating leadership is far more effective than leading through intimidation."
      o Steve Dale is the author of the twice weekly syndicated newspaper column "My Pet World" (Tribune Media Services).
      o He's also the host of syndicated radio programs Steve Dale's Pet World, The Pet Minute with Steve Dale; and Pet Central, at WGN Radio, Chicago.
      o Steve is a contributing editor at USA Weekend, special correspondent/columnist Dog World and editor-in-chief of PawPrints (a newsletter for veterinarians).
      o His books include "American Zoos" and "DogGone Chicago."
      o Steve has appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show; National Geographic Explorer; Pets Part of the Family on PBS; several Animal Planet Shows; Fox News Channel, and Balance TV (Canada). He was a regular on WGN-TV Chicago.
      o Touted as reaching more pet owners than any other pet journalist, Steve is a frequent guest expert on radio shows all over America and Canada; he has been quoted in dozens of newspaper and magazine stories, including the Los Angeles Times, USA Today, and Redbook.
      o He is certified as a Behavior Consultant by the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants, and the recipient of many awards including the prestigious AVMA Humane Award.

• @dcmclcm4:

I did a posting earlier inquiring about the pedigree for your Missy and her offspring. Are they in the Basenji Pedigree Database? I was interested in knowing if they are related to the girl I have at home.

I highly suggest getting eye exams done on your Bs based on the Sweeters line and also if your Bs are related to my girl.

Thanks!

Jennifer Hill

Thank you for the update. Ill have to get her eyes checked.

Missy is not in the data base because she is not AKC registered. and i didnt think they could be in there if they are not. but now that i have been told that i think they can be, im going to contact Sally and see if she cant put her in there for me. 🙂 Just so she is in there. Tell me more about your girl. Where did you get her? How old is she now? What is her birthdate? What is the "sweeters" line?

• Really, are you thinking of breeding this girl? She isn't even AKC reg. Please…rethink this.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Really, are you thinking of breeding this girl? She isn't even AKC reg. Please…rethink this.

OH NO NO NO NO! she is spayed and 10 years old! I wouldnt if i could. She is just a family pet of mine. I thought we were just talking about putting more Basenjis into the database. I didnt realize we were talking about breeding and all. No she will not be bred(nor can she be) and she is my lovable little baby that sleeps in my bed under the covers every night. She is my life and i love her soooo much!

• Then I am very sorry. I though she was the young b girl you were thinking of breeding.
    I am so sorry.

• Oh no trouble at all. Its ok 🙂 No i wouldnt breed a basenji unless it is AKC. I would also need the health tests and everything else be done before that would happen too. but no, Missy is just simply my house pet. 🙂 I understand your concern tho, i would have said the same thing. Thank you though.

• Any B can be entered in the database. If your B was not officially registered but you have the paperwork, just name her and give all the information to Sally Wallis. I use Jen's and then usually the call name and then Surprise. I use Surprise because I never knew which Bs I would be bringing home.

I rescued a mom and some of her pups from SD. She was non-AKC registered-APRI and her pups had APRI puppy papers. Her official registered name was Bambi J. She responded to Bambi so I kept it and she is in the database as Jen's Bambi Surprise. Her offspring are Jen's Bowie Surprise, Jen's Brodie Surpise and Jen's Brassy Surprise in the database. All of their APRI registration numbers are in the database.

Jennifer

• @dcmclcm4:

Any B can be entered in the database. If your B was not officially registered but you have the paperwork, just name her and give all the information to Sally Wallis. I use Jen's and then usually the call name and then Surprise. I use Surprise because I never knew which Bs I would be bringing home.

Thank you for the advice. 🙂 Ill have to contact Sally anyways and get her in there!

@dcmclcm4:

I rescued a mom and some of her pups from SD. She was non-AKC registered-APRI and her pups had APRI puppy papers. Her official registered name was Bambi J. She responded to Bambi so I kept it and she is in the database as Jen's Bambi Surprise. Her offspring are Jen's Bowie Surprise, Jen's Brodie Surpise and Jen's Brassy Surprise in the database. All of their APRI registration numbers are in the database. Jennifer

Ya she is actually APRI. 🙂 her reg name is Missy Kalahari Singa. lol Her mom and dads names. well one of each haha. So how do you change her name from the papers to the database? Dont you have to have whats on the papers? just curious i didnt know you could do that. interesting to know 🙂 And thats cute 🙂 nice naming

• APRI is not a legit registery. It was stated by Puppymillers and BYB's so that they did not have to conform with AKC breeding requirements.

• I agree with you. i got her from a friend tho, after he bought her. I fell in love with her and she is just a house pet. We dont breed her. I look for AKC when looking for something more. But i know, and agree. Missy is just a house pet and will always stay that way

Oh, and she is Spayed now!

• Thank you for realizing we all want any b's you breed to be AKC and supportive of the breed standard.
    Thank you!

• @sharronhurlbut:

Thank you for realizing we all want any b's you breed to be AKC and supportive of the breed standard.
    Thank you!

Oh of course! There is no "real" registry other than the one and the only, AKC! 🙂 i wouldnt use any other one!

• Your Missy is in the database under her APRI registered name, although Singa is misspelled as Shenga. She is a half sister to my Bambi who I wrote about above. They have the same sire. Also, Bambi was bred to the one of the offspring of Missy, Benji Boy J. I am fairly certain that Benji Boy J was for sale along with the rest of the Bs.

Did you breed Missy? The pedigree of the sire, Spencer Congo is missing. Both sire and dam are listed as unknown. Would you happen to have his pedigree? There are no other offspring listed either.

Do you know of any eye problems in any related dogs? Bambi has a cataract that is presumed to be juvenile according to the opthalmologist. Thankfully no surgery is needed. One offspring has PPM and other eye problems.

How about esophagus/digestive problems? The same offspring with the PPM has an esophagus motility issue along with digestive problems.

Probably many of the related dogs are still in the SD/MN/IA/NE region. Although I believe the Decker dogs were rescued. The remaining dogs sold in SD went to a commercial breeder in NE. Kuehne lived in MN and from what I have researched is that he used APRI registry for his dogs.

Jennifer

• @dcmclcm4:

Your Missy is in the database under her APRI registered name, although Singa is misspelled as Shenga. She is a half sister to my Bambi who I wrote about above. They have the same sire. Also, Bambi was bred to the one of the offspring of Missy, Benji Boy J. I am fairly certain that Benji Boy J was for sale along with the rest of the Bs.

Yes i know it is spelled wrong, I told Sally and she said shell fix it as soon as she can. Ok i dont know about the half sisters. And about the APRI thing, she was meant just as a companion and we didnt actually intend on breeding her. I wouldnt breed again if it wasnt AKC and I didnt the background of the dogs.I dont know ANYTHING about Missys past. I got her from a friend and as a pet. We never did any testing on her (as this was ALONG time ago and i honestly didnt know there were tests that needed to be done. I admit i was stupid, but I was 11-12. All I wanted was a puppy to keep. Yes Benji boy WAS or sale, We sold the whole litter, except for the puppy we kept.

@dcmclcm4:

Did you breed Missy? The pedigree of the sire, Spencer Congo is missing. Both sire and dam are listed as unknown. Would you happen to have his pedigree? There are no other offspring listed either.

Yes we did. on time, i dont know how old she was. I guess according to the paperwork, she would have been 2. I dont know anything about the stud. he was just a local dog that I happen to find. I was shocked to find another Basenji in town, let alone an unneutered Basneji! So we asked his owners and we bred her. Then i guess the owners werent very smart because the following winter he died. I guess his owner said he froze to death!!:mad: 😞
    It made me very sad that they would let their dog die but I couldnt do anything about his death. Its so sad but it happens in the world as much as all of us would wish otherwise 😞

@dcmclcm4:

Do you know of any eye problems in any related dogs? Bambi has a cataract that is presumed to be juvenile according to the opthalmologist. Thankfully no surgery is needed. One offspring has PPM and other eye problems.

I do not know of any with missy. She seems pretty healthy and happy. She is almost 11 and is very healthy for her age. You can sometimes see the age in her but mostly she acts like a 3 year old! lol In offspring, do you mean like Benji boy or Bambi's other puppies?

@dcmclcm4:

How about esophagus/digestive problems? The same offspring with the PPM has an esophagus motility issue along with digestive problems.

I dont know of any digestive problems. Thats so sad 😞 Is it ok?

@dcmclcm4:

Probably many of the related dogs are still in the SD/MN/IA/NE region. Although I believe the Decker dogs were rescued. The remaining dogs sold in SD went to a commercial breeder in NE. Kuehne lived in MN and from what I have researched is that he used APRI registry for his dogs.

I would love to find them. I dont know how i would go about doing so tho. Oh they did?! Where is this breeder in NE? What is the "decker dogs" and the "hofer dogs" I dont understand this. Ya im not sure. We just sold our puppies to families. Honestly if i could have gone back and done it right i would do it in a heart beat. but i am interested in knowing where the dogs are now. Is there a way you could send me a picture of Benji Boy J? I would REALLY love nothing more than to see what he turned out to be.

Well I hope to hear from you again. if you would like to post off forums id love to speak with you some more. email podhradsky@live.com Thanks! talk to ya soon

I am just being as honest as i can be so please, this is in regards to everyone, dont insult or bash me because of what happened in the past.

Suggested Topics