• @lvoss:

Brindle is on the K series. If a Black and white carries brindle it will only produce blacks and brindles. The amount of striping is not related to the whether they have one copy of the allele or two, there is some other controlling factor not yet known.

What if a red and white carries the brindle? will it only produce red and brindle?

• Red and whites cannot "carry" brindle. Brindle (K^br) is dominant to k which allows for clear red/tri coats.

• @lvoss:

I don't have MSN Messanger.

A dog that is red must have at least one Y, the other allele could be Y or y. If it is y then the dog can produce tri. With a black dog, you have to take a guess by what the parents and grandparents are about what is at the locus for red and tri.

o ok that is fine. I appreciate you responding to my questions. I hope i am not bothering you. I am just really curious.

Ok so a red will ALWAYS have a Y, capital Y? correct? and then the other is a determining factor? if its Y its a pure red and if its a y then its a tri. and so if its a black dog, that is what everyone is talking about when they say "you have to wait to get a puppy and see if its a tri"? and if it doesnt create a Tri then the Locus is a red? is that right? So do you have to breed it to a Tri to determine this hidden "guessing" factor? i mean to prove it that is..

• @lvoss:

Red and whites cannot "carry" brindle. Brindle (K^br) is dominant to k which allows for clear red/tri coats.

OH YA!!! duh! i knew that! ya the black carries it because it is hidden under the black coat since black stripes wont appear on black coats. Right? Ya i forgot about that, sorry. that was a dumb question.

but anyways so when you say brindle is dom to k which allows clear red and tri coats. This means that a brindle is dominant to (neither black nor brindle) and can produce the red and the tri color puppy but also can produce a brindle pup too tho, correct?

• @misspodhradsky:

Would this be correct?

a tri with a RD mom and a TRI dad, would their "code" be
    DDkkyy

and would a BLK with a RD mom and BLK dad be
    DDKKYy

And Woulda RED with both parents RED be
    DDkkYY

and finally would a RD with a brindle mom and tri dad be
    DDK^brkkYy

Just seeing if i get this

Oh and with brindles, how does that work?

DDK^brkYY(red brindle?), DDK^brkYy(red brindle with tri factor?), DDK^brK^brYY(red with brindle factor??), DDK^br K^brYy…idk lol i dont get the brindle part of it.

Ivoss, does this make any sense to you? or am i totally screwed up on it?

• The Agouti Locus - A
    The Agouti locus controls the formation of the Agouti protein, that in turn is one of the mechanisms that controls the replacement of eumelanin with phaeomelanin in the growing hair. The alleles of the Agouti locus can affect not just whether or not the eumelanin->phaeomelanin shift occurs, but also where on the dog's body this happens.
    The probable alleles at the Agouti locus, in order of decreasing dominance, are: Ay, aw, as, at and a.
    Dominant Black. Dogs certainly do have a dominant form of black that is indeed very dominant: completely obliterating all formation of phaeomelanin pigment. Traditionally, dominant black has been placed at the head of the Agouti series (symbol As). It is now believed to be part of a separate series (the K series - see below) and not at the Agouti locus at all. This is in keeping with the operation of the Agouti locus in all other mammals that have it: increasing dominance of Agouti locus alleles results in increasing production of phaeomelanin without exception. We mention it here simply because it has long been thought, mistakenly, to be part of the Agouti locus.
    So at the top of the Agouti series then we have Ay, Sable - also known as 'dominant yellow' or 'golden sable'. This results in an essentially phaeomelanic phenotype, but the hair tips are eumelanin (black). The extent of the eumelanin tip varies considerably from lighter sables (where just the ear tips are black) to darker sables - where much of the body is dark. It is possible that Ay is not completely dominant over the lower Agouti series alleles, with an Ay heterozygote e.g. Ayat having a darker body. AyAy may be called 'clear red' whereas Ayat can be 'sabled red'. Sable is a very common colour in many breeds of dog, e.g. German Shepherd.
    Next we have aw, 'wolf' colour. This is like Ay but the tan is replaced with a pale grey/cream colour and the hairs usually have several bands of light and dark colour, not just the black tip of sable. Seen in the Keeshond, Siberian and Norwegian Elkhound.
    Moving down the series we next come to as, 'saddle tan'. This is somewhat like the black+tan allele (below), except that eumelanin is restricted to the back and side regions, hence the name 'saddle'. It is also possible that this is due to another gene interacting with at/at genotypes.
    Allele at, 'black+tan' is next. This is a primarily black dog but with tan (phaeomelanin) markings around the eyes, muzzle, chest, stomach and lower legs. Commonly seen in hounds, Dobermann's and Rottweilers.
    Finally, at the bottom of the Agouti series is recessive black, symbol a. When a dog is homozygous for recessive black (aa), it will have no phaeomelanin in its coat (unless it is also ee, which is epistatic to the Agouti series - see below). Examples of breeds that exhibit recessive black are German Shepherd and Shetland Sheepdog. Whilst some breeders discount the presence of a recessive black at the bottom of the Agouti series is is consistent with the behaviour of this locus in many other mammals.
    The existence of all these alleles in the Agouti series is not certain, nor is the precise order of dominance of the intermediate alleles aw as and at.

• Thank you for this. I dont understand alot of it but i do understand some of it. 🙂 What is a Agouti? I know alot of ppl have said it. is it like the DNA link where all the different letters create the whole "agouti" i have NO idea on this part. And an allele? that is what? i know but i have no idea how to describe it…i may not even know its the thing im thinking lol

• Agouti is the name given to the location for wolf grey/sable/tri/recessive black. Most geneticists use A (agouti, wolf grey) and a (recessive black) and the superscripts y (red, sable) and t (tri) for the Agouti series. Since the majority of basenjis seem to have either a^y or a^t, it is easier in these type of forums to a letter like Y to describe the relationship.

• @lvoss:

Agouti is the name given to the location for wolf grey/sable/tri/recessive black. Most geneticists use A (agouti, wolf grey) and a (recessive black) and the superscripts y (red, sable) and t (tri) for the Agouti series. Since the majority of basenjis seem to have either a^y or a^t, it is easier in these type of forums to a letter like Y to describe the relationship.

OH! ok ok i got ya. So when its a^y its really ay (with the y being up higher)
    .y
    a ignoring the period, is it kinda like that. Ok! i got ya! and i agree, Y is MUCH easier than all that mumble jumble haha. Thanks for the clearification!

um… so was the t (tri) changed to y? for convenience too?

• Let me give my example
    my bitch Abotere's Zulika is red ant white.
    father Abotere's Mogli - brindle white
    mother Abotere's Zhenga - brindle white

in brackets are other possibilities red
    father DD Kbrk ayay(ayat,ayaw,ayas,a)
    mother DD Kbrk ayay(ayat,ayaw,ayas,a)

Zulika is a red and white.
    Parents received one literce k
    DD kk ayay(ayat,ayaw,ayas,a)

Zulika bore children father is Abotere's Wazhiri(tri color DD kk atat)
    Only two alleles atat tri color show

Puppies were born, all red and white
    the children I know that design is only one
    DDkkayat
    all carry the tri gene (at), but it is masked by a gene (ay)

• @Monika:

Let me give my example
    my bitch Abotere's Zulika is red ant white.
    father Abotere's Mogli - brindle white
    mother Abotere's Zhenga - brindle white

in brackets are other possibilities red
    father DD Kbrk ayay(ayat,ayaw,ayas,a)
    mother DD Kbrk ayay(ayat,ayaw,ayas,a)

Zulika is a red and white.
    Parents received one literce k
    DD kk ayay(ayat,ayaw,ayas,a)

Zulika bore children father is Abotere's Wazhiri(tri color DD kk atat)
    Only two alleles atat tri color show

Puppies were born, all red and white
    the children I know that design is only one
    DDkkayat
    all carry the tri gene (at), but it is masked by a gene (ay)

I guess i kinda get that but i am used to using the letters DD, Yy, Kk, and then for brindle is K^br
    so adding ayat and all that is just confusing me. I have been uing the above ones so now im not sure what you mean. is there a way to transform yours using those letters?

• you're in the middle of agouti

• OH MY GOSH ITS ADORABLE!!!! 😃 I have never seen a basenji with that coloring before! that is so crazy!

So what is her gene pool? or what do you call her in regards to coloring?

• Y is ay
    y is at,aw,as,a

• ok it my girls parents are (mom) RD and (dad) BLK. I figured mom would be DDKkYY and dad would be DDKKY and its either y or Y.

So would my girl be DDKkYY (she is a red puppy)

• @Monika:

Y is ay
    y is ay,at,aw,as,a

Thank you! Now i understand!

• DD kk awaw(awas,awat,awa)
    Dd kk awaw(awas,awat,awa)

• wow she is simply georgous! so she is technically called a tri? how is that?

• This is the agouti

• I must flee.
    greet

Suggested Topics