• @basenjilover11:

Actually we are lesbians, so I do not think it is a gender issue. It might have to do with dominance, however my girlfriend is the one who does the disciplining. We both give him his treats, however I usually give him his favorite chew toys. He listens to only sit, he was a show dog so surely he must know other commands but I have yet to figure them out. I am hoping that once I speak with Andrea she can steer me in the right direction. She knows his previous owner. Thank you so much for all of your suggestions, I am going to try the alone time thing with him and even try feeding him a meal a day and see where that gets me.

I am an idiot :o Sorry to assume.
    Good luck with everything- Sid will come around.–I never thought mine would, and he did 🙂

• No, it is okay. I guess I should have clarified to begin with. He has come a long way since we first got him so one can only hope he continues to progress. I look forward to keeping everyone updated! I love reading everyone's stories and opinions, these forums are the best things available for dog owners.

• @basenjilover11:

No, it is okay. I guess I should have clarified to begin with.

Ms. Christy: I didn't clarify either and was mistaken for a man for a few months because I drive a truck, never posted a photo of myself and was kind of ambiguous about it. It never bothered me either…I actually found it a bit amusing. 😃

I wish I had some advice for you regarding the aloof Basenji. My gramma had B's all during my growing up. Some would play, others were just grouchy. It sounds like you have one of the experts on the case. Perhaps she will have a few ideas and solutions.

Cheers...

• You may want to look around for a fun type of postive class. Around here I'd suggest a friend's Relationship Building class or a Control Unleashed class. Even an agility class might be helpful in building confidence, but for that I might suggest your partner taking him for the first round of classes and you taking him through the same class a second time. She handles him for the scary/hard stuff, you get to ask him to do the fun stuff. Just thinking out loud, but I think the Relationship class would be a great find for you and him.

• The classes sound like a great idea! We are very hesitant to spend a lot of money on him because we are fearful that it will not help because he is soo socially awkward. However I guess if he is around other dogs that are doing the same thing he is he may feel pressured to compete. I will talk to her about it and see where it gets us. As far as the classes go, I feel it would be all her who participates with him. Although he is not the most normal dog around me, he does love me in a way she has never been able to experience..anything is a good idea at this point.

• @basenjilover11:

The classes sound like a great idea! We are very hesitant to spend a lot of money on him because we are fearful that it will not help because he is soo socially awkward. However I guess if he is around other dogs that are doing the same thing he is he may feel pressured to compete. I will talk to her about it and see where it gets us. As far as the classes go, I feel it would be all her who participates with him. Although he is not the most normal dog around me, he does love me in a way she has never been able to experience..anything is a good idea at this point.

With two Championships under his belt, I would think it would just take a little time and reassurance for him to be used to other dogs and a class sounds like a good idea.
    Good luck with Sid.

• How do you know he has two Championships under his belt? Sid's trip to Oregon made him famous apparently! 🙂

• He isn't famous… it is that you are in Ohio and many of Vickie's dogs were placed after the accident...not many dogs named Sid [and I knew she had a Sirius boy named Sid].
    Was in the same position last year when my mom was in an accident that rendered her a quadriplegic.

A dog that has lived their life, and a good life, in one home then being transplanted can take TIME to adjust. This is a major life change.. totally new people, totally new situation.
    If he were from a different home, I'd say he was abused… but I know that isn't the case. Time time and more time.. and probably some more time and assistance will be needed.

• We never thought it was abused, just thought he had been through a lot. We heard of Vicki's accident shortly after we adopted him and thought he wasn't fostered out because of his social anxiety. We definitely will not give up and hope that once we bring new puppy in he will adapt even better. He gets along great with other dogs, anxious at first but then adapts very well and plays soo gracefully. I look forward to working with him along with the great advice this forum has provided. Thanks to everyone 🙂

http://www.rugosabasenjis.com/ Here is the fun site we found of him. We were astonished to find out he is actually a Can Ch. Hard to believe, but we are proud of him.

• @khanis:

He isn't famous… it is that you are in Ohio and many of Vickie's dogs were placed after the accident...not many dogs named Sid [and I knew she had a Sirius boy named Sid].
    Was in the same position last year when my mom was in an accident that rendered her a quadriplegic.

A dog that has lived their life, and a good life, in one home then being transplanted can take TIME to adjust. This is a major life change.. totally new people, totally new situation.
    If he were from a different home, I'd say he was abused… but I know that isn't the case. Time time and more time.. and probably some more time and assistance will be needed.

Kathy i hope you don't think i'm being nosy but is this the same Vickie that was on the forum who rescued lots of Dogs ?

• @thunderbird8588:

Kathy i hope you don't think i'm being nosy but is this the same Vickie that was on the forum who rescued lots of Dogs ?

Not Kathy, but it is not the same Vickie. Kathy is speaking about Rugosa Basenjis, Vickie Perrine, she has been on the forum from time to time, but totally different the the Vickie that rescued dogs.

And I agree (as I have met Sid in person)…. it takes time.... to adjust when "plucked" from the only house you know, a great home for Basenjis at that (and these dogs are smart, so I am sure that Sid knew something was wrong at home after the accident happened).... and then placed...

• @tanza:

Not Kathy, but it is not the same Vickie. Kathy is speaking about Rugosa Basenjis, Vickie Perrine, she has been on the forum from time to time, but totally different the the Vickie that rescued dogs.

Thanks for the info Pat.

• the other thing to remember is that basenjis are not a normally overly demonstrative breed. i don't know what breed you are used to (or any for that matter), but basenjis often have a "You may pet me now" type aura compared to a "pet me! pet me, pet me pleeeezee" type personality of, say, a golden retriever. My Digital, the brindlewonderkid, likes to sit near my, but he's not a cuddly-type dog. Zest, the superstar in training, my 3 year old is a much cuddlier type pup. She likes to sit on my or hubby's lap something Digital will hardly ever do willingly.

• Sid is def a rare breed as are all basenjis. He is not my first, the reason I ended up with him is because I took my dog Bailey (now deceased) to Sylvania Vet a few years back. Dr. Bob rescued Sid with me in mind and I saw it as a sign from Bailey that I should help this dog, so hear we are. We will continue to work with him and take into consideration everything he has been through. At the same time he has greatly progressed and attached to my girlfriend, just not me. Only time will tell.

• @agilebasenji:

You may want to look around for a fun type of postive class. Around here I'd suggest a friend's Relationship Building class or a Control Unleashed class. Even an agility class might be helpful in building confidence, but for that I might suggest your partner taking him for the first round of classes and you taking him through the same class a second time. She handles him for the scary/hard stuff, you get to ask him to do the fun stuff. Just thinking out loud, but I think the Relationship class would be a great find for you and him.

Kim, we don't have any classes like that in our area, unfortunately. The one positive training 'school' we had in the area that offered lots of different classes closed a few years ago (that is where I worked)…now, we just have a bunch of trainers trying to offer people what they need, each on a really small scale.

• It sounds like Sid loves other dogs, so getting HIM a puppy may help his anxiety. He may bond to a new pup more than to you, Sid may just be your girlfriend's dog and the pup may be yours, who knows. Sometimes a dog (of any breed) will bond with one human more than another…and...like cats, they seem to sense when you REALLY want them to like you, and hold back!
    I know of several single dogs who had issues who were helped by the addition of another basenji, it takes the pressure off them!

Good luck with Sid. If he was Vickie's dog, I'm sure he was well loved and "snatched" up from a wonderful life for one of uncertainty, so it may just take a long time to completely trust and relax.

• @Quercus:

Kim, we don't have any classes like that in our area, unfortunately. The one positive training 'school' we had in the area that offered lots of different classes closed a few years ago (that is where I worked)…now, we just have a bunch of trainers trying to offer people what they need, each on a really small scale.

Bummer. Of course that's how I got started teaching my CU classes. There was a void and I got sucked up by that vaccuum. Not a bad thing really. I have the classes when I have enough people asking me for it. As soon as the wind dies down and Old Man Winter leaves, I'll start another. Find a place to rent and look into it!!!! There's an agility center here that I rent for my winter classes. And it is very hard to find a night open. And she has a wait list for people to take classes. Just my 2 pennies worth of thoughts.

• @agilebasenji:

Bummer. Of course that's how I got started teaching my CU classes. There was a void and I got sucked up by that vaccuum. Not a bad thing really. I have the classes when I have enough people asking me for it. As soon as the wind dies down and Old Man Winter leaves, I'll start another. Find a place to rent and look into it!!!! There's an agility center here that I rent for my winter classes. And it is very hard to find a night open. And she has a wait list for people to take classes. Just my 2 pennies worth of thoughts.

That is a great idea…I have been trying to think of ways to build the business, and space sharing might be a great way to do it.

• Heck, I even know of some indoor horse arenas that can be rented. You can pm me if you need to bounce ideas around. I think the Family dog and Relationship classes are great for the average pet owner. I'd love to take a nosework class.

• Someone asked for pics of my tiny babies…I mean kitties. Hudson and Hailey

Suggested Topics