• @Terry:

I guess I'm confused, because when I look at the bag (I have the Venison sitting here next to me), corn is nowhere on the list of ingredients. It says: Venison, Potato, Brew Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Brewer's Rice, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Chicken Meal, Fish Meal, Chicken Fat, Dried Beet Pulp, Potassium Chloride, Chicken Flavor, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Fish Oil, Salt, Vitamins, and a bunch of minerals…
    If it's in there, aren't they required to list it on the ingredients?

Terry

Well, isn't that interesting, for some reason I was on the UK site.. and there is corn in that one, on the US side there is not, but there still is beet pulp which IMO, is just junk fillers, no value

Venison, Potato, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Brewers Rice, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Chicken Meal, Fish Meal, Dried Egg Product, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp

Same with the Salmon, and the Turkey… however please note the "Sorghum" in all the products, that has a simular look to corn... and I would wonder about the value it would add to any food

• Rikell,
    Since we've treated our yard and surroundings with organics and herbicide free methods, we hardly ever see rashes and the like. Our dogs eat a raw diet and we treat our yard with nematodes and fertilize organically. Oh, we we clean our floors with natural products like vinegar. Plus, we use the Jean Dodd's vaccination protocol and don't do the spot on flea treatment….ever. Good luck.

• First Basenji's

Haley also has had a recurring belly rash…VERY red and itchy. She is a Fanconi dog and is on Dr. Gonto's protocol. At first I thought it was an allergic reaction to the antibiotics she was on for recurring bladder infections related to the Fanconi, but she's been off the antibiotics for a while and still has the recurring rash. I've been systematically removing and then replacing the pills in the protocol and, so far, I think the allergic reaction is due to something in the Centrum vitamin that is taken once a week. Rikell, I'm just wondering if your dog is on a daily vitamin of any kind......or if his food has a vitamin in it that could be causing an allergic reaction? Sure hope you get this figured out.....it's SO not fun!

• @SyberSade:

Haley also has had a recurring belly rash…VERY red and itchy. She is a Fanconi dog and is on Dr. Gonto's protocol. At first I thought it was an allergic reaction to the antibiotics she was on for recurring bladder infections related to the Fanconi, but she's been off the antibiotics for a while and still has the recurring rash. I've been systematically removing and then replacing the pills in the protocol and, so far, I think the allergic reaction is due to something in the Centrum vitamin that is taken once a week. Rikell, I'm just wondering if your dog is on a daily vitamin of any kind......or if his food has a vitamin in it that could be causing an allergic reaction? Sure hope you get this figured out.....it's SO not fun!

With a Fanconi affected… there is so much more going on... that is really difficult to determine the cause.... If me, I would email Dr. Gonto and ask his opinion ....

• First Basenji's

@tanza:

With a Fanconi affected… there is so much more going on... that is really difficult to determine the cause.... If me, I would email Dr. Gonto and ask his opinion ....

He says the belly rash has nothing to do with the Fanconi itself…....he said to talk to my vet who said it has to be an allergic reaction of some kind.

• What kind of food are you feeding Haley? Perhaps it is in one of the supplements you are giving her. I think Pet Tabs Plus has/had an ingredient in it that has caused some dogs problems. I do not give Pet Tabs Plus to my Fanconi girl, Missy, but another vitamin supplement.

• First Basenji's

@dcmclcm4:

What kind of food are you feeding Haley? Perhaps it is in one of the supplements you are giving her. I think Pet Tabs Plus has/had an ingredient in it that has caused some dogs problems. I do not give Pet Tabs Plus to my Fanconi girl, Missy, but another vitamin supplement.

I feed her a dog food that Dr. Gonto recommended…..I think it's called Nutro Natural Lite. I guess the "lite" is lower in protein....which is what he said she needed. I also give her the Pet Tabs Plus. What do you use for Missy? Our problem may well be an ingredient in one of the vitamins. Do you give her a Centrum each week?

• I was going to suggest switching to a grain free food as well. We use Anova Wellness and our basenji loves it. It is made for dogs with allergies. It is a little more expensive than your commercial brand dog food, but it is well worth it. We let a friend watch our dog for a month and just in that short amount of time off of the Anova his coat became very rough, his bowel was massive and soft and very irregular. Once we got him back on the Anova his bowels are back to normal, very compact and regular and his coat back to shiny and smooth. Dog food can do wonders. I do think the tyroid panel is a good idea but your dog seems very young and may just be allergic to something you are feeding him.

• Pet Tabs Plus has Wheat Germ, Kaolin, Corn Syrup, and Pork Liver Meal and Sorbitol in it. I give Missy a vitamin I buy at Wal-Mart and she gets 1/2 one daily in addition to Nupro supplement which is a powder and added to the food. She takes 1/2 Generic Centrum vitamin twice a week. I would look at the ingredients of the supplements she is taking and see if there is anything that might be troublesome.

My previous Fanconi girl, Zippy, did not like the Pet Tabs Plus and one time I bought a bottle of Pet Tabs Calcium and I could not break the pills in half without them breaking apart so I quit buying both. I now use a powdered calcium supplement.

I assume Haley needs a lower protein because she is going into renal failure or has higher renal values.

If the Fanconi is under control, I would have a complete Thyroid panel done.

• Hi,

My 7 months Basenji just got neutered and the rash and hives started after his surgery, he was fine before that. He started getting rash on his belly and broke out in hives. We took him the vet and got him treated, yet the rash and small little hives are still there. We were instructed to give him Benadryl every 8 hrs. Currently he's on Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Dog Food, which contain no artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors. I dont know what else to do because he's having trouble sleeping at night.

• @Karma:

Hi,

My 7 months Basenji just got neutered and the rash and hives started after his surgery, he was fine before that. He started getting rash on his belly and broke out in hives. We took him the vet and got him treated, yet the rash and small little hives are still there. We were instructed to give him Benadryl every 8 hrs. Currently he's on Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Dog Food, which contain no artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors. I dont know what else to do because he's having trouble sleeping at night.

How soon after being neutered? Is the surgery site healed? And I would have to think of a yeast infection… and since the benadryl has not cleared it up, I would insist on the Vet taking a further look. Also, is he on any meds from the surgery?

Suggested Topics