• Is that a river that swirls round that park?!!! That is an amazing park!! I'm pretty sure your safe there, he is definitely not going to go in the water!!.. You might loose him inside the park though!!!!

• Yes, that's a river that loops around. Definitely one of the most isolated parks in the city. I guess my only concern is that I lose him in the park.

• First Basenji's

Stazy, there is a nearby park with a very similar layout where I frequently walk my dogs. They go off-leash there, and I have seen other basenjis off leash there as well. There are no cars in sight, and the off-leash area is set far enough within the park that they're back on leash well before we ever get close to the parking lot.

I think off-leashing depends a lot on the layout, the topography (i.e., is it woodsy and hilly, or pretty flat with high visibility?), and on how well you know your dog(s). My shiba (another breed not known to be trustworthy off leash) always keeps me in sight, and he knows he doesn't have to play keepaway because off-leash runs are no longer a rarity for him. The first time he went to this park, he got so excited about being off leash, he bound over a small hill and lost sight of us. He panicked and had started to wander off in another direction by the time we followed to where we thought he was. Then we saw him behind us frantically looking around, whipping his head back and forth to find us. We called him, and he came running with his ears flattened against his head, so relieved to be reunited. That was the only scare we ever had (I think he was more afraid than we were). He's always made sure to keep us in sight ever since.

But I've found that if they run too far at a park this large, it is NOT easy to call them back with just your voice. We get lots of wind coming in from the water at this park, so that limits their recall a bit.

With Bowpi, we waited until her second month with us, always walking the same route around the park, before she was allowed to drag her leash. It became apparent that she wasn't interested in going far, so we let her roam free. Maybe it was easy with her because our shiba's a good off-leash model, and she knows she's with us. Or it's just her age and her mellow personality. She goes into little racing bursts every now and then and does huge, wide circles around us, but once that's out of her system, she's happy to trot alongside the pack.

Sometimes Bowpi gets a kick out of flushing flocks of birds from bushes, but she's smart enough to know she'll never catch them, so she doesn't chase.

We ran into a rabbit once. Five dogs gave chase, including my two, but wonder of wonders, they both actually came back when I called.

So I know it's not without risks. But given the hundreds of times we've been off-leashing without incident, I think it's worth it for my two dogs.

• For many years I have trained my basenjis to come to a sports whistle, the sound carries much further than a voice. We are not careless and are never off leash near traffic, but even chasing bunnies (in their youth, many years ago) they return after the chase. You have to use good sense about location and risks, but all of life is a risk, we are probably in more danger driving to the dog park (in city traffic) than we were in the wild places we used to go. 2 of my basenjis are almost totally deaf now, so we are on leash everywhere except the fenced parks now, but what joy they had in their youth, running free on beaches and fields and in mountain forests. A loud whistle and yummy treats can attract even a basenji!

That park surrounded by a river looks perfect, just be sure you have good treats and either a loud voice or a whistle. If you are in the company of other dogs (who come when called) yours will stay with the pack, and if you are alone, yours will likely stay close to you, at least at first!

• all i have to say is that our basenji (his name is toby, a male, and who will be 2 years old in january) is extremely trustworthy in the house and backyard. listens very well, obeys almost every command he has been taught, and is a total velcro dog. he gets along with elliott (his 2 year old italian greyhound brother extremely well) they are the best of friends, and he is very nice with everyone and every dog he meets. i have heard nothing but the highest of praises when my parents watch hime for extended periods of time as well. looks to me and my wife for almost everything, maybe because he was a rescue at 6 months.

THAT being said…...you would think we could have him off leash. NOT A CHANCE. he doesn't mind water at all, not at all, in fact he jumps in every fountain we pass in the spring and summer. he goes nuts when he sees a squirrel or bird when on a walk. he would bolt from the car once we open the door if we don't hold him and the leash. he would be gone and would be gone for good, that is one thing i am 100% certain. he is ONLY off leash in the house, with the doors and windows/screens securely locked, or, in a a trusted dog park that we have been in 100 times and i know he can not escape from.

WHAT i am saying is that, no matter what, all basenjis are definitely not the same. anyone who has not walked their dog off leash from a very early age with excellent recall might be in for a horroffic surprise one day. be very, very careful.

oh, did i mention that about 3 weeks ago he started to bring a stuffed football to me to play fetch with. all on his own, at no initiation on my or my wife's part at all. and the reason he uses the stuffed football and not any other toy is because it's to big for our italian greyhound to play with.

smart dog. but can not be trusted off leash, that is for sure.

• We were very selective with the places we let Maxx off lead.

We own acreage south of Phoenix, Arizona that is 5 miles from any main road, and requires traveling nothing much more than a goat trail for the last mile or two. We used to go out there and let Maxx off lead. He was very good about staying close…he'd stop occasionally and look around to make sure he could still see us. He was also good about coming back to us when we called him.

We found another place on the Oregon Coast where there as a very deep beach far from a road, and since it was after Labor Day, the beach was empty of people. He had a ball chasing sea gulls...that is, until he finally figured out he'd never be able to catch any! Again, he was good about coming back when called.

Suggested Topics