• @dcmclcm4:

My foster had surgery for intestinal surgery-50% removed due to carpet fibers slicing and had to stay for 3-4 days at the hospital. She was trying to get to the leashes hanging by her crate. I told the surgeon that if she had to have surgery again, the clinic would be financially responsible for it. I had forewarned them about Bs being chewers.

The dog had eaten carpet on a continual basis?

• Houston

Wow, I thought Otis was bad at stealing and chewing on things..but he only goes for human edible items..like a package of bacon(with packaging), a stick of butter w/ partial wrapper, some raw potatoes and turnips, a whole cluster of bananas, 7 in all, everything gone except the piece where they are attached together….several granola bars, with most of the wrappers, our fruit bowl is up on the counter and between him and Moses the giraff, they eat whatever is in it..oranges, pineapple..you name it.

He also loves his lupine collars, we have replaced it once..he chews on his leash if you don't keep up with him on the walks or if I stop to talk to a neighbor...

jepp, it is intense being owned by a basenji..but boy do I love it.

• @Basenjimamma:

Wow, I thought Otis was bad at stealing and chewing on things..but he only goes for human edible items..like a package of bacon(with packaging), a stick of butter w/ partial wrapper, some raw potatoes and turnips, a whole cluster of bananas, 7 in all, everything gone except the piece where they are attached together….several granola bars, with most of the wrappers, our fruit bowl is up on the counter and between him and Moses the giraff, they eat whatever is in it..oranges, pineapple..you name it.

He also loves his lupine collars, we have replaced it once..he chews on his leash if you don't keep up with him on the walks or if I stop to talk to a neighbor...

jepp, it is intense being owned by a basenji..but boy do I love it.

Buddy will not eat any type of fruit period. He won't even taste it. I'm sure he'd go for that bacon and butter though. 😃

• Houston

Otis will eat anything we eat..if it is good enough for humans it is good enough for him..;):).

he loves my green smoothies..

• No, I believe when she was kept by a non B person and then transported, someone had put a carpet remmant either in a crate or an x-pen. I had wall to wall carpet in my apartment and no loose rugs. I picked her up in MO during the winter and 2 different people had her for almost a week. I never put anything in a crate for a dog that I know nothing about. I remember that trip because I was trying to get back to Texas before a winter storm hit.

She did not have the classic symptoms of an object caught either as the carpet strings were cutting/slicing her intestines. She was still eating and the only symptom at times was extremely soft stools.

She is the only B I have ever had, foster or my own, that has had to have intestinal surgery. I better knock on wood!

• @dcmclcm4:

No, I believe when she was kept by a non B person and then transported, someone had put a carpet remmant either in a crate or an x-pen. I had wall to wall carpet in my apartment and no loose rugs. I picked her up in MO during the winter and 2 different people had her for almost a week. I never put anything in a crate for a dog that I know nothing about. I remember that trip because I was trying to get back to Texas before a winter storm hit.

She did not have the classic symptoms of an object caught either as the carpet strings were cutting/slicing her intestines. She was still eating and the only symptom at times was extremely soft stools.

She is the only B I have ever had, foster or my own, that has had to have intestinal surgery. I better knock on wood!

Wow, when I first got Buddy the only thing I put in his crate was newspaper. If he ate that it would be a problem.

• I sent the chewed up leash to Lupine and they sent this back free of charge. Great company to do that!

• Houston

Otis chewed his martingale collar in three pieces, I took them back to the store were I got it and they gave me a replacement and sent in the chewed one for me…Yes, a great company indeed.
    I highly recommend Lupine to all dog owners. They are not even expensive, very comparable with other brands available at the big box petstores.

• If more basenji owners bought Lupine, they would probably have to add a clause to their guarantee, like , "Unless you have a basenji"….as that may mean multiple replacements over the years, haha!

• We need a new thread…..What I replaced because of my Basenji, and what it cost:)

Kleenex and toilet paper need not be mentioned; everyone starts with an automatic $100.00 debit:D

Suggested Topics