• Yes, one ours is a master collar chewer. She usually chews her own collar, so she often wears a different kind of collar aound the house. Luckily she only tried to chew another dog's collar once, and the other dog didn't like it…but the collar still has a little chew mark.

You can always soak the collars in bitter apple, and that should eliminate any chewing.

• Yes, I have heard of dogs chewing other dogs collars off. I don't leave collars on mine because I have had them chewed. I have had to use the replacement garuntee on my All Hounds collar because Rio chewed it.

• Beta chewed Caesar's collar off when we first adopted her. I guess she didnt like the color.

She ate her own collar (a safety choke) one day when I was at work. Tags and all! She passed it like a trooper. She also ate off of herself two different harnesses when I first adopted her. She had a nervous tendency due to her rescue background that took a lot of finessing. I learned that her safety choke made tighter so it didnt hang so loose worked best for her. She never pulled on her leash.

• Ivoss-Do you use the Martingale Collars or Martingale Leash from All Hounds?? I like that they all are lined with fleece.

• This guy can line the collars like he adds the ribbon. Caesar's collar which is a 3inch wide collar is lined with a satiny material.

• I have martingale collars from them and my mom has their regular collars and I know a lot of people who have the limited choke type collars from them. Next time I need a slip lead for lure coursing I will be getting it from them also. They have great customer service and I have been very pleased with their collars.

• Chance keeps scratching his collar. Ever since I put it on him he just won't stop scratching.

• He will get used to it. They all scratch like crazy the first time they wear a collar 🙂

• @Vanessa626:

Chance keeps scratching his collar. Ever since I put it on him he just won't stop scratching.

The only thing I'd suggest is that you keep an eye on the skin of his neck. Max scratched and scratched with his first collar, and he ended up developing a hot spot. It was almost the size of a quarter before I even noticed it! His vet treated it (I forget whether he got an injection or we used cream or something). It healed up, he got used to the collar, and he stopped scratching.

• My neighbor, who breeds English cocker spaniels, is friends with a lady who breeds basenjis. I met the basenji breeder once when she was visiting. She told me about the "hound collar". I got Senji one at PetSmart, and it really helps. Senji always wants to to pull, especially if he sees a squirrel or a rabbit. The collar keeps him from choking.

• GREAT info, for PULLING issues on the leash i HIGHLY recomend Gentle Leaders!!! work great!!

• I was going crazy and have some pics of the safety choke collars that I am such a fan of!!! I just received 2 puppy safety chokes and now Cairo at 11 weeks can fit into them!!
    attachment_p_9264_0_att00016.jpg
    attachment_p_9264_1_att00019.jpg
    attachment_p_9264_2_att00013.jpg
    attachment_p_9264_3_att00022.jpg

• here are more pics on my kids…..
    attachment_p_9265_0_att00025a.jpg
    attachment_p_9265_1_att00028a.jpg
    attachment_p_9265_2_att00031a.jpg

• if you couldnt see them well enough here are a few more pics….LOL.....

the one big is to show the 3 sizes, the red ones are puppy safety chokes. the med ones are the standard ones for basenjis, and the large are used with whippets or in Caesar's case a nice long neck. LOL

The green one is super old and beta was a chewer. She actually ate one of these collars completely(including tags) and passed it in pieces! That was right after I bought it and her first collar experience....

the solution with chewers is to keep it tighter. the med yellow one was hers and she never chewed on that one.
    attachment_p_9266_0_att00034a.jpg
    attachment_p_9266_1_att00043a.jpg
    attachment_p_9266_2_att00046a.jpg

• Betsey you have quite a collection here 😃 😃 WOW!

• LOL, yeah I know, crazy right?
    Well, in that big picture the two middle sized ones that are dark blue and green are so beat up that I dont use them anymore. They are hard to throw away though. I use them sometimes when we go to the wet dog park.

The two big ones are with ribbon that i sent to him. You can see the light blue one is a bit tattered compared to the yellow which is my fault in choosing something not durable…..but it is sooooo much fun to go to Joanne's fabric and pick out something cool for your b.

They are soooo cheap!

• oh yeah, and the puppy one fits Cairo like a champ. He was introduced to it this past weekend and hasnt tried to eat it yet. We went for our first collar leash walk yesterday and it tightened at the perfect place that didnt choke him. I was very pleased with the size…...

I definately do not leave it on him in the kennel yet, or Caesar's. Beta ate off Caesar's safety choke once....learned my lesson...and Cairo is such a chewer right now....

• Great collars, where'd you get them from

• You are the Emeld Marcos of dog collars, Betsey! Do you have as many shoes as they do collars?? LOL! The pictures are adorable and the collars look really nice on them…

• Um, Emelda…oops!

Suggested Topics